Topic: Business 101  (Read 3593 times)

Offline Matt Self (Gaddabout)

• Cafe VIP
    • My Space
Business 101
« on: February 12, 2002, 08:57 PM »
A couple months ago I got a call from a retirement community big band saying they needed a practice drummer. Their regular drummer lives about 90 miles north, and only makes it down for their shows. They talked me into playing for free, with the caveat that I wouldn't do it if I got a paying gig that night.

So twice a month go play with the old folks for kicks (and kickers) and they've given me a big-time education in how to move a big band. I ain't that good, I don't know the songs, but they give me plenty of room to mess up -- as long as I keep them swinging.

Turns out the leader of the band is father-in-law to a local producer, and I've been referred to him for some sessions coming up in April. Said I was 'solid' (which is simply not true according to his experience) and especially easy to work with (read: I work cheap).

There's no gig too small. There's never a good time to mail it in or stop acting professional. More importantly, old people are really cool. ;D
Odd meter isn't broken. It doesn't need to be fixed. - David Crigger

sidereal

Re: Business 101
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2002, 12:02 AM »
Way to go Gaddabout! :)

You never know how things might come together. This is why I've always been an advocate of taking on occasional projects or sit-ins or sessions just for the hell of it and not always insist on getting paid. Sometimes you just want to try something different and often times better things come out of it.

Let us know how it goes.

felix

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2002, 02:48 AM »
See, I told you- Kudos 2 U...pretty soon you will be too busy to post here and we will be reading about you in modern drummer ahile having to pay 200 bucks to get a ticket for one of your shows.

sidereal

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2002, 09:45 AM »
Yeah, this month's issue of Modern Drummer: "Gaddabout" :D

felix, that's just about how I pictured you. haha!

Offline Matt Self (Gaddabout)

• Cafe VIP
    • My Space
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2002, 12:41 PM »
felix, that's just about how I pictured you. haha!

I'm thinking that's the photo that should go on MD when Felix gets his day in the sun. If I ever find a good photo of Felix behind a kit, I'm going to Photoshop a funky looking Hip Gig kit into it and send it to MD's "Kit of the Month" feature. hehehe  :P
Odd meter isn't broken. It doesn't need to be fixed. - David Crigger

felix

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2002, 02:56 AM »
I am no longer "dissing" the hig gig.

It's great...sidereal has my blessing to get one now.

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on Google+ Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram
Click HERE to LEARN MORE!