Topic: Re: Broadcast Architecture  (Read 3014 times)

Offline James Walker

• Cafe VIP
    • malletjazz
    • www.malletjazz.com
Re: Broadcast Architecture
« on: March 17, 2002, 07:10 AM »
One thing Jimmy doesn't acknowledge in his essay is that for many people - perhaps most of the American population - music is viewed the same as deodorant, oven cleaner, etc.  It's a commodity, with no more significance than those other items.

Those of us participating on this board, by definition, care about music.  We wouldn't spend the time - whether amateur or professional - to learn to play an instrument if we didn't care.

Most people don't care about music.  It's a disposable item to them.  If the general population judged music on its artistic merits, why would anyone buy a Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera CD when Chaka Khan is out there performing?  If artistic merit and musical skills were the criteria most Americans used to determine their "favorite" music, why would anyone buy a Guns 'N' Roses CD when King Crimson is out there?

(I keep referring to "Americans" as I don't know enough about the arts in other parts of the world to comment.  I will say that the Brazilian "pop" music that I hear on the radio - there's a big Brazilian community in my region - just kicks the hell out of the "pop" music of the U.S., in terms of harmonic sophistication, melodic integrity, and just plain "style."  IMHO, YMMV, etc.)

Until and unless the listeners change their attitudes, then the scope of what we musicians can do to improve the artistic climate in this country will be minimal at best.  Not to say that we shouldn't try - we absolutely should - but it's always going to be an uphill struggle.
"I played with Holdsworth, Fripp, and Belew...I wish we drummers could play that differently. Drummers are starting to homogenize into the same guy, which frightens me." - Bill Bruford

felix

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2002, 03:15 AM »
OH man this is way too deep for me this morning.

Basically I look at every electronic medium with skepticism.  There is some sort of controlling message behind everything we see and hear.  I took a class in college that was called  "The Media is the Massage" (for the masses).

Just don't buy it or don't do it or don't eat it, listen to it, whatever.  It works for me.  If you can pull the money out from underneath something- it will be gone in this society.  Don't get caught in routines either.  Man, I look at my life and see if I picked up any stupid routines (like going to a certain gas station or buying a certain product)...you would be surprised and wonder why the hell you are still doing something.  It's brainwash man!  People love comfort and don't really enjoy putting themselves in new situations.  I love to rebel against that little feeling.  Sometimes I get really lucky and find a new product, a new place, a better deal- and sometimes I crap out and get screwed, should have stayed with the B P gas station or McDonald's.

rlhubley

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2002, 04:55 AM »
I agree with James on this.  Most Americans think of music the same way I think about TV, in that it is something they use to pass time with while driving or whatever.  A sad truth....

I think it is up to the musicians to start playing better music.  I think more musicians should learn their craft.   I mean REALLY learn it!   I think we have to stop trying to get that deal with Capitol Records or whatever major label.   Music needs to be that tool that Americans want, background entertainment.  HOWEVER, it desperatly needs to regain the artistic integrity it used to have.  Music needs to rebirth itself as an artform.  Music is art first, entertainment is a distant second.  

Passeist

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2002, 10:41 AM »
When I first moved to a major city, I was surprised by what pathetic stereos and record collections people owned.  Back in the boonies, young people spent a good chunk of our disposable income on records and stereos.

Why the difference?  There was no radio worth listening to, back in the boonies.  If you wanted decent music, you had to buy it.

Hopefully, radio will become as irrelevant in the major markets as it was in the boonies.  And, hopefully, that will cause music lovers to buy more recordings.

One can hope.

Online Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
  • Founder & owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
Re:Broadcast Architecture
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2002, 12:32 PM »
Congress took measures years ago to eliminate what then had become a business practice commonly referred to as payola. In recent times concerns have been expressed that payola has returned in a much more subtle form. AFM (American Federation of Musicians, more commonly known as the "Musicians Union") President Lee issued a press release that includes a statement by the AFM and several of its coalition partners. Follow the link below to read the press release and statement.

Offline Daddy0

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2002, 10:21 PM »
Is it my imagination, or are the local stations that are owned by the same company now timing their commercials to coincide? They play some so-called "long set" (which really isn't that much music because most of the time is spent telling us how they are the hottest station and kick all the other stations' asses) and then they go into a truly long set of commercials. I, of course, change the station, only to encounter another batch of ads. So I shrug my shoulders and put in a CD!

BTW "Fahrenheit 451" was written by Ray Bradbury.

SteveG

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2002, 06:26 AM »
None of this will change. The bottom line is the bottom line for these commercial radio staions. All they care about is ratings so they can maximize the amount of money they can charge sponsors for commercial time. The music in between the commercials is just filler, so each station is going to play the most watered-down popular, accessable music that falls into their format.

If you are interested in the pure artform of the music then you will have to listen to pure jazz (not that elevator jazz b.s.) or pure American blues. Forget about most commercial music. There is very little depth or integrity in this type of music. There are some exceptions though (Tommy Keene, Adam Schmitt), unfortunately most of these artists never see the light of day and are forced to sign with indies that are incapable of providing them with maximum exposure.

Jazzman

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2002, 11:04 PM »
I get steamed every time I think about it with MI stations any more.  

Commercials, jaw flaping, and playing music that has nothing to do with the stations intentions.  V98.7 is a local Jazz station in michigan that plays some jazz, R&B that they feel belongs on the Jazz station, and Ballads.  They don't say anything for 6to 8 songs.  So if you hear a tune that you like, forget it because you just shut off the car after the 5th song.

This particular station plays different things, but call themselves a Jazz station!  What happened to just Jazz?  I realize that the people that promote the songs on the play list pay the bills, but if the audience turns to a different station instead.........

I usually don't listen to this station anymore just for that reason..

jazzman 8)

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on Google+ Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram
Click HERE to LEARN MORE!