Topic: Back rest for throne's  (Read 4020 times)

drumtrav

Back rest for throne's
« on: March 05, 2002, 10:38 AM »
What do you Guys think of Backrests' for throne's?  Is it an essential peice, or a waiste of money?

Also, has anyone had a chance to play on the new drumframe's yet?  Thoughts or opinion's please.

Thanks ;)

Misenko

Re: Back rest for throne's
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2002, 12:12 PM »
I have been looking at a drum throne with a back rest, it looks very comfortable! I only have a normal throne right now, its an old one, but I do like the look of the one with a back rest! unfortunatly the price is quite high for a drum throne, and would maybe be better spent ona cymbol or something! anyone got any thoughts on these drum thrones?

Misenko.

groovsmyth

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2002, 09:12 PM »
I think there's a thread on drumframes - in combination with drum racks . . .

When I got my Gibraltar throne I sprung for the model with the backrest. It is quite comfortable. It's not like you're lounging or anything, it just provides some nice support for the lower back. HOWEVER, you pretty much have to dismantle it for carting because, assembled, it's quite bulky. That got old, so I only use the backrest now if I'm going to be set up longer than a one-nighter.

js

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2002, 08:32 AM »
I was having some back problems about five years ago so I invested in a Roc/Soc seat with the back rest.  I used it for about a year, but then gave up on it as my posture improved.  If you're sitting correctly with the correct posture you shouldn't need a back rest.  I would invest my money in some Alexander Technique or physical therapy other than getting a back rest.  When I say "correct" - everybody is different.  Your back will tell you what is correct or incorrect.  

Also - I found that the back rest is good for leaning back on while the band isn't playing - or while it decides on the next tune.   You just shouldn't have to use it while you're playing...

Offline Peter Jeffery

• Cafe VIP
    • MySpace
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2002, 07:26 PM »
I've got a backrest on my studio kit....nice for sessions where you're doing as much hanging/talking/waiting as you are playing.   For my live kit I don't use/need a backrest.
Peter Jeffery
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

DMC

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2002, 09:31 PM »
If any of you have a regular three-leg throne here is a trick to help your posture.
Put a small piece of wood under the a leg on your backside of the throne. It will make the throne tilt slighty forwards. You should make sure that it is secure and the leg won't slip off. The angle gets you to sit with your back straighter and help your posture out. It's weird for a little while but I think it feels great now and I don't slouch when I play.

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram