• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

What's a good bass drum muffling method?

Started by _andygumm_, February 15, 2003, 12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nullify_drummer

i got a sheet taped to the front of my 22" and half of it hanging out through the bottom of the bass and it gives a really nice tone and a boom instead of a thud like a pillow gives you. and in my 20" i have a pillow which gives me a boom (its a deep bass) 20x17 odd.

Jim Martin (cavanman)

Not sure when you want to do this since it sounds like the show is almost upon you but....

My enthusiastic vote goes to the Aquarian Super Kick II bass drum tune up kit. It includes the Superkick II, a black Resonator front head w/ offset 4" hole and an Aquarian impact patch.

I have it on my Gretsch 14 x 22 and have put this set on a midline Pacific Drum maple kit with a 16 x 22. Beautiful balanced sound for rock/pop with a shade of resonance.

I heartily recommend it.

Jim

jokerjkny

Quote from: 563 on February 15, 2003, 07:03 PM
theres another version of that idea joe that ive heard jazz players used "back in the day" ... use feathers instead of newspaper.  [snip]

woah,

that sounds pretty cool.  i'm sure with a clear head, it'd make for some entertaining visuals.   ;D

wonder how that'd work with larger rounds of cotton, or with a few innards of a real synthetic pillow.

also, i kinda like that resonant, boingy sound.  totally abhor that flat, thuddy, flappy sound alot of guys seem to gravitate to.  like a cardboard box.  its a drum, so make it sound like one, no?

with a small bass, i'm kinda going the opposite way.  i've actually gotten my small bass tuned to what seems like a close sounding "B" on the piano.  seems to fit most of the key of G and B songs we do.  ;)

Mark Schlipper

ive been thinking the sustain on my kick is too short, hearing that dunnett stainless was a big notice as to how my kick should sound.  i got my little 16 singing, now its time for the big kit.  unfortunately the glue used on the felt strip on the aquarian vintage is quite sturdy :)  i need to buy an unmuffled one and i think ill be getting a new resonant and not cutting a hole in it ... looking for 5 second bass drum ring  ;D

sorry ... no help for our original poster as it seems im going the opposite route :)

Joe

It just occured to me that technique is one very good way of muffling your bass drum, as far as burying the beater instead of letting it rebound, etc.

Jim

ive experimented with this a lot everything  from pillows(all different sizes) to muffeling systems dead ringers(uukk). it dependeds a lot on the sound your looking for. deep and punchy or big and boomy i prefer deep and punchy i use a pinstripe head very little tension and ive found folding a medium size blanket laying it flat in the shell of the drum where it barly touches both heads works best for me. ive always gotten great compliments on my kick sound.it just depends on the sound you are looking for.