Topic: please read- drumset audition tape  (Read 1099 times)

newbeat

please read- drumset audition tape
« on: February 25, 2003, 06:46 PM »
Ok, so I'm making a tape for a percussion thing over the summer, and I have all my stuff together, but I want to include a drum solo and some 4 bar trading in rock/jazz styles. For all you pro experienced drummers- bart, mr. a, drumbo, etc., what would you look for in a 15 year old's drumming? Should I include a quick, concise display of my chops, or focus more on looking like I keep solid time and can groove? What would you as a judge be most impressed by? I think I have decent double bass feet, and would like to include it to show as much of myself as possible, would you recommend that? I basically need an idea of what would be best to throw at the pros who will be judging my tape. Thanks a lot!

RelientKngOdrums

Re:please read- drumset audition tape
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2003, 08:55 PM »
sry... i can't help with that... but what is this thing you're sending a solo in for?

Offline Mister Acrolite

• Cafe VIP
  • I'm not bald; I'm aerodynamic.
    • k e i t h c r o n i n . c o m
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2003, 09:04 AM »
Ok, so I'm making a tape for a percussion thing over the summer, and I have all my stuff together, but I want to include a drum solo and some 4 bar trading in rock/jazz styles. For all you pro experienced drummers- bart, mr. a, drumbo, etc., what would you look for in a 15 year old's drumming? Should I include a quick, concise display of my chops, or focus more on looking like I keep solid time and can groove? What would you as a judge be most impressed by? I think I have decent double bass feet, and would like to include it to show as much of myself as possible, would you recommend that? I basically need an idea of what would be best to throw at the pros who will be judging my tape. Thanks a lot!

Can you tell us more about the "percussion thing" you're planning to attend? Is it jazz-oriented? Or all-around drumset? Or all-around percussion?

What have they asked for in terms of an audition tape? Let us know, and we'll be better able to help you.

Without knowing more, the things that impress me are A) sense of time; B) understanding of the musical style you're playing, demonstrated by your playing being appropriate to that style; C) understanding of musical forms - playing fills at the appropriate times within a song, or if you're trading fours, making each solo the right length; D) clean technical execution (as opposed to displays of speed or flash that have nothing to do with the musical context you're in).

If you DO decide to show some chops, make sure it's appropriate to the song. I wouldn't play a bunch of double-bass while trading fours on a swing tune.

Tell us more, then I'm sure lots of us will have suggestions for you.
Hit on 2. Repeat on 4.
(instructions found written on Mr. A's snare drum)

newbeat

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2003, 03:07 PM »
It is an all around percussion camp- drumset on the tape is optional, but I definitely want to throw what I have in there, I think I have at least something to show. It's not for jazz or anything specially, just pretty much I want to show them I'm proficient at the set. I did post the question rather late, I am recording the video very soon, I am just warming up right now, but thanks for replying, I will keep that in mind, and if you happen to read this soon, I will check back for any last minute things. Thanks!

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram