Topic: People who own Pacific CX/LX, Premier Artist, Sonor 3001, Or Yahama Stage Custom  (Read 1550 times)

_andygumm_

If you own or have played on any of these drums, let me know your opinions.  I know it's best to play on them first and yadda yadda yadda, but it's still nice to hear from people who probably know more than me!  thanks!!!

1KitWonder

I have played on all of these drums and the premiers were the best!  The pacifics have a similar sound, but the premiers just had more depth and warmth and were overall a better buy for the money than the pacifics which sounded rather bland and neutral.  Some people really swear by the pacifics, but to me the premier (craftsmanship and sound) was heads an shoulders above the pacific and even farther above the rest.

_andygumm_

thanks, thats the kind of information i'm looking for!   keep them coming!

p.s. was that an artis maple or birch?

1KitWonder

Take your pick!  I have played the birch and maple offerings from Pacific and Premier (Artist Birch and Maple) and the same description fits both.  The premiers had more livliness of tone and over all better build quality and sound.

_andygumm_

ok kool thanks!  most ppl will tell me "go play them and see for yourself" but theres one problem in that.  the hardware on a set like this will probably be pretty good, but by playing a set a few times at a store, it doesnt really tell you how the hardware holds up overtime, if the heads stay in tune well, etc.  

nudrum

• Cafe VIP
  • A man and his cymbalta
As a Premier player I liked that response too. I also agree that the hardware is very sturdy. The other brands are carried by the store and they haven't sounded as good but I think head choice is a big factor. Although, come to think of it the Premiers sounded good from the get go!

Jim Martin (cavanman)

• Cafe VIP
  • "And I do the Cha-Cha like a little sissy Girl"
I was hired to setup and tune a Pacific set for a church here in L.A. I also had them buy completely new heads for all the drums [Aquarian double thins on toms, Satin on snare, Super Kick II on bass drum].
I was VERY surprised at how pro level this kit sounded once tuned up with the new heads. The only issue of a significance to me was the hardware. That was defintely of a lower quality than their DW cousins.
However the church got a brand new 5 piece maple Pacific with hardware and Sabian B8 cymbals - for under $1000. Wow. I was definitely impressed. If I were ever to play there I'd just bring cymbals and maybe a BD pedal.
I haven't played the Premiers you're speaking about but have had good experiences on other Premier sets so it's hard to give an A/B for them. It's a good time to be a drummer! ;)

Jim

Thunderbolt1000T

The Yamaha Stage Customs are ok, they have gotten me through five years of recording, and giging. The drums sound real good to me, though I can't wait to get my new Tama's. I have Pinstripes on top, no heads on bottom. The "heavy duty" Yamaha hardware I switched up to and the floor tom leg mounts, are crap though. YMMV. If you can get a maple or birch entry level/student kit for about the same price as the Stage Customs, I'd say go for them instead.      

Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram