• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

super bass muffle?

Started by lars=god, March 15, 2003, 03:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lars=god

I'm pretty new on my double pedal, which means hours of monotonous single stroke exercices to speed my feet up. My parents go nuts. Is there some quick way to muffle the bass alot, something that can be undone fast when I play with the band?
Thanks

nudrum

I'd get the biggest, fluffiest pillow and put it next to my pedal, leaning against the head. A pillow on the other side wouldn't hurt either.

Mister Acrolite

You might also look into either a set of practice pads, or one of those things that converts your drums to practice pads.

I used a Ralph Pace practice pad set to work on my double-bass, and it really helped, and kept me from getting evicted. I don't think these are available any more, which is a shame. They were an odd-looking contraption made of wood, but worked like a champ.

Various companies make practice pad setups. I recommend the rubber ones rather than the tunable ones that have actual drum heads mounted over foam blocks - those are still pretty loud.

Also, you can practice VERY quietly just by stomping your feet on the floor. Gregg Bissonette turned me on to that simple but effective trick. Just grab a chair or drum stool, a pair of sticks, and a practice pad on a stand, and you can play hand-foot combos til the cows come home, with no pedals at all.

Just mimic your usual technique - if you play heel up, keep both feet off the floor when you're not hitting the "drum." This requires you to be well balanced on your stool. If you play heel down, put your heels on the floor and use your ankles.

I did a LOT of practicing like that in hotel rooms when I was touring, and it really helped. Much of what double-bass players need to master is just the sheer timing of notes between each limb, and you can practice that without needing a full drumkit.

BlackEvovii

there's a product called sound off or something very simliar to that name that will make your playing almost muted.