• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

how to take care of old drums??

Started by xhavepatiencex, March 20, 2003, 01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xhavepatiencex

i just acquired some old drums from a friend of mine. and this is my first set. and it seems the wood is kinda dry, like what should i do to like help that out. cause i am assuming it is bad, what should i do to take care of the shells. thank you

pioboy

I dont know about taking care of the wood, but you should think about getting new heads, cuz I've got old drums and they sounded pretty @$%# new when I put on the new heads...

Mark Schlipper

treat 'em just like furniture.  if the insides of the shells are bare (not painted etc) then a simple wood conditioner will help get the wood healthy again. after that you can do a protective coat on the inside, like a polyurethane.  you can laquer or paint the inside if youd like but that can effect the sound.  if its not done already i wouldnt bother.

if the outsides arent laquered or wrapped then youll want to condition them as well.  youll definitely want to protect the outside of the shell and i recommend a laquer there.  if they are wrapped, just make sure its all glued down :)

have fun with 'em  ;D