• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

What do you tell your wife/husband when you come home with that new cymbal?

Started by Atomic, April 02, 2003, 03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg Rivers

Quote from: John_M._Hicks on July 07, 2003, 09:00 PM
My wife is the best! She supports my music adventures and purchases. Like 563, I have more trouble convincing myself. I agree that communication is the best thing.
For an example of my wife's  coolness. When I graduated from college she purchased the Roland V-Club for me to practice on while we lived in an apartment. Another cool gift, she went to GC and played all the splashes and chose the 10" HH Duo Splash as a birthday gift, the same splash I would have chosen.
Now that my drumming friends is TRUE LOVE. ;)

Winger

This all sounds like what I've gone through buying computer stuff. But since the wife doesn't understand them she just alowed me to get what I needed as I needed it. Now, after MANY upgrades of my own machine, everyone in the house has their own computer and I've got them all networked together. And she and both the boys love it.

Drumming for me has always been a hobby, so buying for them has always been a bit tougher. But getting her involved with the band some friends and I have come together to form has made here a little more leniant on my purchases. But still I just about over-did it this past winter/fall because I upgraded so much of my equipment at once. There again, I helped smooth it out by selling off some of the equipment I had replaced.

SteveG

Atomic, I'm pretty to the point with most issues which might offend some people but I don't care. You are lucky that your wife doesn't kick you out because of your duplicitous and disrespectful behavior toward her. Also, I would never start a thread like this because I would be ashamed of these actions, hiding money in my bass drum case. What are you fifteen? Get a second job if you need those cymbals so bad. I hope you don't handle your other personal affairs with your wife like you do this one.  Speak to your wife and show her some respect. You are supposed to be partners.

Louis are you married? If so you must have to do a lot of "making-up with your wife based on your comments.

Grow-up. You can't always get what you want in life. A good marriage is a hell of a lot more important than a stinkin' cymbal or snare drum! It is always better to be honest and speak with your spouse about your desire to purchase a new piece of equipment than be a devious snake. You will also gain the respect of your spouse when you are honest and show integrity.

I'll probably get slammed for this response but, hey Bob Grant get slammed all day. That's what happens when you speak the truth. Who cares.

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: SteveG on July 10, 2003, 06:52 AM
Atomic, I'm pretty to the point with most issues which might offend some people but I don't care. You are lucky that your wife doesn't kick you out because of your duplicitous and disrespectful behavior toward her. Also, I would never start a thread like this because I would be ashamed of these actions, hiding money in my bass drum case. What are you fifteen? Get a second job if you need those cymbals so bad. I hope you don't handle your other personal affairs with your wife like you do this one.  Speak to your wife and show her some respect. You are supposed to be partners.

Louis are you married? If so you must have to do a lot of "making-up with your wife based on your comments.

Grow-up. You can't always get what you want in life. A good marriage is a hell of a lot more important than a stinkin' cymbal or snare drum! It is always better to be honest and speak with your spouse about your desire to purchase a new piece of equipment than be a devious snake. You will also gain the respect of your spouse when you are honest and show integrity.

I'll probably get slammed for this response but, hey Bob Grant get slammed all day. That's what happens when you speak the truth. Who cares.

Steve, with all due respect - lighten up.

This is a light-hearted thread started by somebody (Atomic) who's not even active on the board anymore. If you spend some time getting to know the people here you'll know there's an underlying friendship among many of us. To directly and personally attack other people's semi-serious posts about their own personal relationships is in questionable taste, and furthermore I question what good can be accomplished by the tone and content of your post.

FYI, Louis is a widower. Feel good about your slam now?

Seriously - think hard about what you post. Even if you believe in your heart of hearts that your opinion is true - ask yourself this: will my opinion be beneficial? Or am I just asserting my self-presumed mental or moral superiority?

That is what DIPLOMACY is about - not just having a well-thought-out opinion, but determining whether that opinion is actually something that will be helpful to voice in a specific situation. (In other words, not just knowing what to say, but when - and when not - to say it.)

Food for thought.

Mr. A.

Louis Russell

Quote from: SteveG on July 10, 2003, 06:52 AM
I was married for 34 years and we never had a serious argument and very few disagreements.  But looking back, that making up sure sounds like a lot of fun  ;D

felix

QuoteA good marriage is a hell of a lot more important than a stinkin' cymbal or snare drum!

I totally dissagree ;D  a good groupie maybe

Louis Russell

felix

har...I suppose a good groupie is a bad groupie.  But truly a bad groupie can be also classified as a pig, hog, cow but usually not an ox, which is generally the groupie's husband.  Subsequently, "fat" is not a negative attribute in this case since "fat bottom girls make the rockin' world go round".

I'm sorry to use such a derogatory term, but these types of "people" exist and I think we can responsibly discuss them and the ramifications they impose on us as musicians  ::)

stumpy-p

Man, it sure is hot here. "This is Africa hot. Tarzan couldn't take this kind of hot. I don't think I'm going to ba able to stay if it's going to be this hot."   -  Matthew Broderick, Biloxi Blues

I'm not officially married yet, but I might as well be. I usually just give a couple weeks notice if I'm going to spend more than $100. Other than that, she couln't care less. "Honey, I bought new drum-heads today." and I get, "that's nice dear."   ;)

Louis Russell

Quote from: felix on July 10, 2003, 01:23 PM
har...I suppose a good groupie is a bad groupie.  But truly a bad groupie can be also classified as a pig, hog, cow but usually not an ox, which is generally the groupie's husband.  Subsequently, "fat" is not a negative attribute in this case since "fat bottom girls make the rockin' world go round".
Now that is what I call a real tap dance.    ;D  

Mister Acrolite

When the subject comes up at home, I always tell my fiancee that any groupies I may have - er - encountered over the years meant nothing to me, and that I was thinking of her the whole time. Despite the fact that I hadn't met her yet.

For some reason, I get the impression she doesn't believe me, but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.  

But all is well - she knows I've already sown my wild oats. Although I was always more into malt, rice, and barley rather than oats.  ;)

Can you beer me now? Good.                                          Can you beer me now? Good.                                          Can you beer me now? Good.                                          Can you beer me now? Good.                                          Can you beer me now? Good.                                          

Winger

Mine tells me to find a groupie and leave her alone. So that's what 20 years of marriage has done for us. :)

I wonder if I should take her up on that request... :D

drumwild

My girlfriend collects groupie phone numbers and emails (after she's done tearing down my kit). She thinks it's important to carry the appearance of being single at a show.

But there's no free lunch. I do dishes.  ;D

drwalker

I say "look honey I bought a new cymbal to match your new shoes and purse that you just bought"

That ends it!  8)

dw

Louis Russell

Quote from: drwalker on July 11, 2003, 08:47 AM
I say "look honey I bought a new cymbal to match your new shoes and purse that you just bought"

Ok, I have read this line several times and fail to find the part about ducking!  I just know it is there somewhere.  ;D

Winger

It was probably a rather "Ducky" purse or pair of shoes.  :D

stumpy-p

bennyleb

Quote from: Atomic on April 02, 2003, 03:20 PM
OK, cymbals are an addiction. What do you tell your significant other when you come home with another?

Do not cook Chinese food in it!

bennyleb