Topic: You sit where?  (Read 1213 times)

yatch

You sit where?
« on: April 03, 2003, 09:31 PM »
I'm curious, how far do sit from the bass drum?  I can't seem to make up my mind.  Sometime I will pull the seat up as to have my shin straight up and down.  Most of the time I sit back further and my foot will be in front of my shin.  I often wonder from a "science" standpoint if one way allows the body to perform better than another way.   I also wonder the same thing in regards to how close your toms and snare "should" be to you.  Wouldn't one way be more efficient than another?   If the best athletes have the best technique, I would think that should follow for drum playing as well.

ChinaCymbol

Re:You sit where?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2003, 09:58 PM »
I keep my chins at a 90º Angle from the ground because it's way more comfortable, it just feels like you get the right hit, better speed.  and my toms.....i can hit the center of any of my (5) toms while when my elbow has about a 120º curv in it.

Joe

• Cafe VIP
  • Seeburg traps
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2003, 02:00 AM »
I sit as centered as possible from the snare drum with my legs at about an 88o angle.  Those two extra degrees seem to help with my style of playing.

Joe

• Cafe VIP
  • Seeburg traps
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2003, 02:01 AM »
Make that 92o.  ;D

Louis Russell

• Honorary VIP
  • Will Drum for BBQ
    • Retired Pilot Examiner
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2003, 07:03 AM »
If the best athletes have the best technique, I would think that should follow for drum playing as well.

That it true for a lot of activities.  The problem is deciding what the best technique would be.   ;D  Proper posture, comfort, and playability are the main considerations in the placement of the drumkit elements.  My lower leg is perpendicular to the floor, its more efficient for energy transfer.  The snare is between my legs and not much room for adjustment there.  My hats are close enough so my leg is perpendicular and in a comfortable position left/right wise.  My cymbals are placed so that when my arm is in playing position (slightly bent) the shank of the stick reaches the bell.  My toms are positioned so that the high tom is about 2 inches from the snare and the others are placed in the same arc.  I like to conserve energy (I am totally lazy) so things are positioned so they can be reached with a minimum of movement.

MVanDoren1

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2003, 07:19 AM »
I think of what place I want to hit a particular instrument most of the time.  I then position myself, bass and snare for whats most comfortable.  Next I think about each instrument in turn (starting in the center and moving out and up from there) and imagine  close my eyes, hit the snare then strike at where I think each instrument should be.  Stop the stick at those individual points, see where it is at and move the surface I want to hit most often to that point.  I may be wrong but I figure if thats where my stick wants to go with my eyes closed, thats probably the most natural place it should be for me.  Then you get the fun and joy of tweaking... moving istrument surfaces which cannot occupy the same space at the same time, angles of heads, etc.

random

• Platinum Member
  • Seriously, I love the Drummer Cafe.
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2003, 07:32 AM »
my throne has wheels ;D!!!

i drilled through the casing and wheel on one leg and put a bolt through it to keep from moving excessively.  i just move to wherever i'm comfortable for each song.

RelientKngOdrums

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2003, 10:07 AM »
at sit at an angle (bass drum to leg) of 95 degrees

Big-Skittle

• Silver Member
  • The Drummer Cafe Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2003, 01:08 PM »
Finding the comfort spot took me a little while to find. I took suggestions from my instructors.

When sitting at your throne try and make sure that your thighs are parallel to the floor. This will allow you to move your whole leg if need be and it gives you that center of balance. The distance away from the drums depends on how you set up and what feels most comfortable to you.

I've found when setting up it's easier for me to have my drums and cymbals in front of me not around me.  I have a five piece kit so it's easy for me to do this for bigger sets it probably a little harder like if you have two floor toms but it's still managable. Make everything accessable to you, you don't wanna have to work harder and exert more energy than you have to. This is your HOME make it as comfortable as possible.  

Expeiment with different set ups. Take one tom away or put a cymbal some where you never have before. Try everything. Also check out some instructional videos They give some pretty good examples and ideas when it come to kit set ups.

Hope this helps you out. Keep throwing down the dope funky grooves. ;D

Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram