Topic: My practice sessions and using time management efficiantly.  (Read 841 times)

yatch

Do you feel I am using my time wisely while practicing?
I do have a great teacher with whom I've been with for a little over a year.  I see him once a week for an hour.  My goals.....To learn how to read well and play very well live.
My lesson books....
(1) Progressive steps to syncopation, playing a jazz pattern while reading notes, alternating tastefully between snare and bass.
(2) Master Studies by Joe Morello                                (3) Funk Drumming by Jim Payne
(4) Art Blakey's Jazz Messages by John Ramsey
(5) Alfred's Drum Method book 2
I work with one page, sometimes two from each book a week.  My reading ability is coming along but it takes me a while to dissect some material, hence I need to spend a chunk of time figuring out what my eyes see.  I'll spend an average of a 1/2 hour on each book a day, seven days a week.  Sometime I won't have but an hour afterwards to play with CD's.  Sometime not even that.  I do not play with anybody now.  My plan is to continue my routine for another year because I feel what I am learning now is VERY valuable to my development.  A lot of this type of practicing will slow down when playing in a band since less time will be spent on it.   What do you think, any suggestions which may benefit my practice time?

felix

Re:My practice sessions and using time management efficiantly.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2003, 06:42 AM »
yes, check out bart's 5 minute lessons "The Art of Effective Practice" series.

Big-Skittle

• Silver Member
  • The Drummer Cafe Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2003, 05:37 PM »
Sound like your on the right track keep at it.  If you can check out the CD's called TURN IT UP Modern Drummer advertises them. They're great for getting a feel for different styles of music. Especially when your not wanting to be in a band and just want to practice. This way you can try out licks and see how your skills are improving in a musical situation.

RelientKngOdrums

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2003, 05:50 PM »
i'd ask your tutor if he's got (i'm sure he does) any videos he could let you borrow. Videos are a great way to watch the masters at work and get a feel of where you want to go with your playing. Also get into some cd shopping in various genre's of music. Again, this will help you to see what genre of music you're the most interested in. I think it's important in the benginner stages you really play many kinds of music and to not be confined to just one genre. Later on, you'll see what you want to focus more on. After 8 years of playing, i'm just starting to get a feel of where i want to go with my playing, so it's no short time period. have fun man!

Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram