Topic: Pearl Drum, Like them or dislike????  (Read 2211 times)

RocknRoll

Pearl Drum, Like them or dislike????
« on: December 16, 2002, 08:22 PM »
Hey all, I was just wondering what you thought about Pearl drums in general. DO you like them or dislike them?? and for what reasons? I am just curious about what you guys think of them. Thanks for your opinions!!

P.S. I play Pearl SRX, 6 ply maple, awsome drums!!!!!!!!

Mark Schlipper

• Cafe VIP
  • drum + hand
    • chock full o' creamy goodness
Re:Pearl Drum, Like them or dislike????
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2002, 11:56 PM »
read this thread ... youll find a good chunk of anti pearl sentiment  ;D

http://community.drummercafe.com/index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=1982;start=0

personally ive got nothing to much against pearl.  just little things.  they make good enough gear, but in the grand scheme of things ive never played one that made me go "@$%# GOTTA OWN THAT!" ... so in essence ... im indifferent to them.

felix

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2002, 05:33 AM »
They still are a functional drumset and I have played a mahogany masters custom before that was really awesome.

Right now I would take an export just to air out some chops and get some practice time in... no problem.

Drumlooney

• Cafe VIP
  • Yes that drumlooney!!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2002, 09:55 AM »
I have a Pearl Masters Birch and just ordered a Masters Maple.  The funny thing about people who dislike pearl is that usually they don't know why, I guess it's the popular thing to do sometimes.

BAnimalG

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2002, 10:00 AM »
I love Pearls, in fact, my CB700 Internationale Series is a direct rip-off of an early Pearl Export Series kit.

chaddrumming

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2002, 10:23 AM »
Pearl has yet to make anything that I would spend my hard earned dollar for. They have succesfully run on brand recognition for a very long time. I find their product to be very vanilla, and their customer service to be the worst in the industry!
Their are many kits on the market that are better built and better sounding drums for less money. I will say that their new pedals seem better than anything else they have introduced in years. This being said however, I still find a ton of mechanical liabilities in the design.

NO PEARL FOR ME!

Mister Acrolite

• Cafe VIP
  • I'm not bald; I'm aerodynamic.
    • k e i t h c r o n i n . c o m
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2002, 10:33 AM »
I love Pearl drums and hardware. I've owned several sets, and use 2 Pearl maple toms as my main rack toms in my own mismatched maple kit. I request them as one of my top three choices when I rent drums, and am rarely dissappointed.

I do not like any of their "brake drum" tilters, on either their stands or tom holders, but they also offer ratchet versions of these, which work great.

From the bottom to the top of their line, I think ALL their drums sound good. That's a rare thing - Yamaha is the only other company I can say that about.

But I prefer the sound of Pearl's maple drums to the more controlled sound of Yamaha Maple Customs. (I have not played the other maple line Yamaha makes, but based on what I've read, I'll probably love them).

Mark Schlipper

• Cafe VIP
  • drum + hand
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2002, 12:16 PM »
The funny thing about people who dislike pearl is that usually they don't know why, I guess it's the popular thing to do sometimes.

as we got into on the thread i mentioned, often time that "i dont know why" is based on legitimate things that are less or not at all obvious.  also, there is validity to "gut reaction" as well.  i played an ayotte and was slayed by it.  had i been blind and not known what kind of kit it was i wouldve had the same reaction.

im not speaking for all pearl bashers of course, but often times people blame peer pressure ("its the popular thing to do") when thats not necessarily the case.

Drumlooney

• Cafe VIP
  • Yes that drumlooney!!
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2002, 12:49 PM »
Hey 563 I was'nt directing anything towards you, if you played them and did not like them compared to others then you are entitled to your opinion, my problem is with people who just don't like them because someone else said that they did'nt like them or b/c they first kit was a whatever so they swear by that kit and bash pearl.

Mark Schlipper

• Cafe VIP
  • drum + hand
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2002, 01:31 PM »
Hey 563 I was'nt directing anything towards you

oh i know ... i was just adding more to think about ... im chatty that way  ;D  

(i play a pearl made kit by the way, an old whitehall)

MUSIKxDRUMR

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2002, 06:31 PM »
My Pearl "All Maple Shell" 6-ply series drums kick royal rastafarian na na's!!!

Scheming Demon

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2002, 07:28 PM »
I did some serious drum shopping 10 years ago.  I tried most of the major brands, DW, Tama, Yamaha, Ludwig, Premier, Pearl and others.

While they were all good sets, I liked the sound of the Tama, Yamaha and DW the best.  I ended up buying the Yamahas.  I've got nothing against Pearl, I just preferred the sound and overall quality of the other sets better.

Carn

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2002, 07:19 AM »
what Scheming Demon said, i just like Tama more :)

MVanDoren1

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2002, 07:44 AM »
I've never had the opportunity to play any of the Pearl high end kits but like their hardware and have known of others who like the drums (gee that really doesn't count then too much huh?).  When in the market they will definatly be considered however.

Critter29

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2002, 08:56 AM »
My very first high end kit was a Pearl MLX. In highschool that was what we used so, I had had lots of experiences from using Pearl, plus my private instructor at the time had them and I loved the way his drums sounded and looked so from then on I was hooked.

I agree with Mr. A about the "brake drum" tilters on Pearl tom arms and boom stands. They're not stable and tend to have alot of "give" and the popular complaint about them is that after awhile they give out.  I've run into some problems with them in the past myself. Amazingly, they haven't changed this feature. Overall, I think Pearl makes good hardware other than the "brake drum" tilters though.

manoktrain

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2002, 01:52 PM »
 I play a Pearl Export. Not sure what year it's from, but it's great to beat on, very durable.  Probably not the highest quality set as far as drum shells go, but the hardware with it is very heavy duty.  All in all, beating on this one would definatley have me considering the higher end kits that Pearl makes when I am in the market for one.
It is funny that Pearl seems to have a stigma about them.  I didn't like Pearl for the longest time, and for no reason, I hadn't played any Pearl kits at that time.
I'm definatley satisfied with thier product, although I don't know anything about thier customer service other than I've never had to call them about anything, because nothing has gone wrong with anything on the kit the 5 years I've owned it.
To me, I guess that IS pretty good customer service.  Your a customer and you don't have to call for service.

thumbs up.

Manoktrain

Ratamatatt

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2002, 02:55 PM »
They still are a functional drumset and I have played a mahogany masters custom before that was really awesome.

Right now I would take an export just to air out some chops and get some practice time in... no problem.

I also had the opportunity to play on a Pearl Masters Custom Mahogany kit in a shop and it WAS awsome.  Amazing high gloss finish and beautiful minimalistic brush finish hardware on it too.  But, I can't say I liked the sound better that the Tama Starclassic sitting right next to it.  Both had die cast whoops which I like.  The best sounding kits I've had the chance to try out were a Fibes and Gretch kits.  I've also tried a Sonor kit but the double ply heads killed it for me.

In addition, when my Yamaha snare stand fell apart on me, I replaced it with a Pearl 360 degree snare stand.  It was about $50 cheaper than the equivalent Yamaha snare stand and much better design than the ball and socket design Yamaha uses to accomplish the 360 degree swivel action.

As for the Export kit, which Pearl claims to be the worlds best selling kit, to me it's basically equivalent to the Yamaha Stage Custom, it's something a high school band director or church/synagogue would buy, or what a drum shop would put in its lesson studios, but not something I would choose for myself.

Ratamatatt

Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram