• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

drum parts written by you

Started by krazykrista, August 18, 2003, 09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

krazykrista

I was wondering...i know some people here probably write their own drum parts for songs, right? well, do  you guys write that drum part down on paper, or do you just keep it in memory?

Jon E

I really only write something down if it's something I think I will forget.

Usually in the composition stage of a tune.

felix

I do what Jon.e does and when I have the time I write down the things that keep me awake at night; like I would think of something I could never play but if I wrote it out and then worked on it, note by note, limb by limb, I will have a very original and hip sounding pattern.

So yes, go for it.  Transcribe what is in your head!

Mark Schlipper

I have my own evil shorthand for notating what I play.  I dont do it for everything, but sometimes when starting out on new material I wont retain it as well as Id like.

RHSquonk

I'm the same. I usually just write out a chart. I used to write them on full size sheets that were hard to read if they wern't on a stand, but in a recent thread, Mr. A turned us on to his 3x5 index card chart system which i now use.
Works great and saves space.
Too many songs to commit them all to memory, so charting was a neccessity.
YMMV  :)
-RHS

Roger Beverage

I condense my big band charts to a single page wherever possible, eliminating the endless bars of repeat signs. I then write in whatever horn figures I want to follow, dynamics that I have to follow, and note where the various solos are.

Roger

Floyd42

Well, I always write down the main groove, plus transitions and variations.

The rest comes in mind while playing !

And after a few rehearsals, the full track is fixed in my mind !

Floyd

cavalier302

I think most music stores have books of blank sheet music for sale...thats what I use, and it works great. I usually just steal sheets from school though ::) .

Bart Elliott

I write most of it down ... keeping everything filed away for potential future use. I also notate many of my charts on Finale. It makes it easy to read, easy to make changes (then just print out a new copy), etc. In case you can't tell, I like to be organized as much as possible. It takes the guess work out of trying to read your handwriting!

By the way, I'm getting ready to post a number of my charts (from my files) in the VIP Room. These are not transcriptions, but rather drum/rhythm charts which have the form, basic groove, ensemble figures and any important items (such as "hook" fills) that I need to pull off the tune at the drop of a hat.

Louis Russell

Every musician should learn to notate!  Regardless how well you know a part or how many times you play the part this month, years from now you will wish you remembered how it went.  I am as guilty as anyone for notating what I do.  Now I should get off my lazy butt and get all the handwritten scribbles in Finale form.  

Floyd42

Quote from: Louis on August 20, 2003, 06:30 AM
Every musician should learn to notate!

I agree with that Louis. And I'll go further: every musician must be able to notate and read music. Not just drums charts (this is not the hardest part !), but charts for other instruments too.

I've made my way through different intruments (violin, guitar, piano, vocals and now drums), and now I can read tabla, drum charts or even piano charts ! It is a GREAT help while working with other musicians !

Music is a language, and if you want to talk to musicians, you have to know their language, which will become yours too !

Floyd