Topic: I hate it when other drummers...  (Read 22777 times)

ritarocks

I hate it when other drummers...
« on: August 20, 2003, 11:52 AM »
None of us are perfect.  (Well, okay, maybe people like Gadd and Peart ;D) And everyone has different opinions, strengths and weaknesses.  But, with that said, and all the talk here about what we do particularly like about good drummers as far as technique, musicianship, etc.,  I thought it would be fun to talk about pet peaves and stuff we don't like that we see other drummers do...
For example, I hate it when rock drummers don't whack the snare.  I also hate it when drummers (often fusion cats) have their bass drum tuned high or overstuff their kick.  I also hate it when drummers play the same fill over and over.

Offline Louis Russell

• Honorary VIP
  • Will Drum for BBQ
    • Retired Pilot Examiner
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2003, 12:18 PM »
I hate it when drummers overplay, especially when it does not fit well in the song.
No one will believe it's the "Blues" if you wear a suit, 'less you happen to be an old person, and you slept in it last night!

Offline RHSquonk

• Cafe VIP
  • Giggity!
    • my myspace space
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2003, 12:18 PM »
I hate it when other drummers;

A) Try to tell me my "kit would sound better if I just..........." after I just saw their set and their kit has that nice 70's cardboard sound.

or

B) Just trash a drummer I look up to simply because they don't dig the style he/she or his/her band plays.

or

C) Can't  appreciate the diffrences.

-RHS
"I live in that solitude which is painful in youth, but delicious in the years of maturity" - Albert Einstein

drwalker

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2003, 12:27 PM »

B) Just trash a drummer I look up to simply because they don't dig the style he or his/her band plays.

BINGO!

I dont get it when a drummer bashes another drummer especially when I dont see that drummer up there doing any better or making the big $$.

Cheers..

dw

Andrew

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2003, 01:00 PM »
I'm with Louis. Overplaying is the most unforgiveable thing.

Offline Nubert Thump

• Cafe VIP
  • Splashes?...We don't need no stinkin' splashes!
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2003, 01:09 PM »
...have a 25 piece kit and only use 3 of them and seem to be playing exactly the same on every song.  :P
Nubert Thump
==Have Sticks, Will Travel(but not too far!)==

Just heard GMS CL Dums--wow they sounded great!

Offline Mister Acrolite

• Cafe VIP
  • I'm not bald; I'm aerodynamic.
    • k e i t h c r o n i n . c o m
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2003, 01:18 PM »
...knock the personalities of famous drummers they've never met.

I've seen so many guys post things like "Joe FamousDrummer plays great, but it's too bad he's such a jerk."

Then when somebody else writes to ask about it, the first guy says, "Well, *I* haven't actually met him, but my bass player said a drummer he used to work with knew some other drummer who went to one of his clinics, and he said the guy was all arrogant and stuff..."  When you get information that's so badly diluted, you do nobody (yourself included) a favor when you perpetuate the rumor.

I'm not saying there aren't some famous drummers (and other musicians) who are total jerks. But until you have direct contact with them, and they act like jerks to you, you don't really have a right to slag them.

Hit on 2. Repeat on 4.
(instructions found written on Mr. A's snare drum)

Offline Jon E

• Cafe VIP
  • Gaaaah!
    • Things Very Special
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2003, 01:52 PM »
....think drumming is some sort of contest.  

I.e., who is better, faster, cooler, groovier, heavier, has the most endorsements, etc.????

drumwild

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2003, 02:05 PM »
... are so full of themselves that they cannot be human.

cavalier302

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2003, 02:06 PM »
Drummers really bug me when they overplay, whether it be note wise or volume wise. I hate to see a drummer come in on a song like "Over the Rainbow" with a resounding fill like"BOOM BOOM THWAKKETY pish BAM CRASH" when a simple cymbal roll would suffice.

SteamRhino

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2003, 02:25 PM »
offer to give you lessons before they've even heard you play...
Their assumption is "whoever you are, I'm sure I must be way better :P"

Offline psycht

• Cafe VIP
  • Taye GoKit Owner
    • My Music Projects
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2003, 02:32 PM »
... walk into a music store and start shredding (or attempting to shred) hoping that people will gather around them in awe.  (we've all been guilty of this at some point, i'm sure)

... take their kits apart completely (ie unmount toms, taking cymbals off the stands, etc...)  before they leave the stage when your band is waiting for him/her to finish cause your gig is next.  Just take it off to the side and then break down your kit!  >:(

Offline Mark Schlipper

• Cafe VIP
  • drum + hand
    • chock full o' creamy goodness
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2003, 03:06 PM »
(we've all been guilty of this at some point, i'm sure)

Actually no, thank you very much :)
Making bad art.  Saying stupid things.  Implimenting my master plan to be forgotten when I'm gone and forgettable while I'm here.

The Luna Moth
me
Perish the Island

Offline psycht

• Cafe VIP
  • Taye GoKit Owner
    • My Music Projects
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2003, 03:27 PM »
Actually no, thank you very much :)

lies!  ;D

ritarocks

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2003, 03:53 PM »
...knock the personalities of famous drummers they've never met.

I've seen so many guys post things like "Joe FamousDrummer plays great, but it's too bad he's such a jerk."

Then when somebody else writes to ask about it, the first guy says, "Well, *I* haven't actually met him, but my bass player said a drummer he used to work with knew some other drummer who went to one of his clinics, and he said the guy was all arrogant and stuff..."  When you get information that's so badly diluted, you do nobody (yourself included) a favor when you perpetuate the rumor.

I'm not saying there aren't some famous drummers (and other musicians) who are total jerks. But until you have direct contact with them, and they act like jerks to you, you don't really have a right to slag them.

So true!  What's worse is when they really ARE jerks and treat people like crap and other people (like their fans) say this is acceptable just because they're a great or famous musician.  In my opinion, this doesn't constitute treating other people like crap.  

SteamRhino

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2003, 04:49 PM »
Seems like what you're talking about is character. Call it Christian values, or being a good person or whatever.
I know I've been guilty on more than one occasion of talking about someone without giving my words much thought. I think most of us strive to be better people, and that means balancing being straight forward and honest with being caring and not being mean spirited.
Passing along unsubstantiated rumors is mean spirited. Talking down to someone 'cause you think "you da man" lacks character. None of these things directly involve being a musician, it's about being good to those you come in contact with.
I don't always succeed but I'll always be trying.
Hey, wait a minute....Maybe drummers and percussionists ARE better than everybody else :D

Gottas go ;D

drwalker

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2003, 05:02 PM »
To me its that thing called karma!  You knock on somebody then you better expect to be knocked on.

If I could play ¼ of Weckls stuff I would be happy.  I hear him getting bashed for his attitude all the time!  You have to believe someone like Weckl has little people skills for all the time he spent woodshedding and not socializing like I did in his younger years!

Just a thought!

dw

Offline Dead Trooper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2003, 05:32 PM »
....think drumming is some sort of contest.  

I.e., who is better, faster, cooler, groovier, heavier, has the most endorsements, etc.????

Very true. My sentiments exactly.
It's still Rock'n'Roll to me.

Offline Big-Skittle

• Silver Member
  • The Drummer Cafe Rulez!
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2003, 05:37 PM »
Wow you really touched a nerve here.

I hate it when other drummers beat the hell out the drum kits at G.C. thinking that they're playing the hippest lick ever.

I also hate it when I'm talking drums with another person who claims to play or have played drums and they obviousley have no idea of what I'm talking about.

Mightydog

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2003, 06:08 PM »
...sit down behind your drum set and start playing without asking permission.

...sit down behind your drum set and start playing leaving dents in the heads because everyone knows the harder you hit the better you play. (...while still not asking permission.)

...trash you because you use "really small sticks when everyone knows all the really good players use sticks the size of Lincoln Logs."

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram