• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

I hate it when other drummers...

Started by ritarocks, August 20, 2003, 11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritarocks

Quote from: 563 on August 29, 2003, 08:01 PM
I hate it when there is so much effort (4 pages worth) invested in bellyaching about what people dont like.  

Hey Mark.  I just wanted to say that I think this thread has been somewhat constructive as it has brought to the table some important aspects of being a drummer that I'm not sure would have come up on its own.  Like being respectful of other drummers by moving your stuff off the stage as soon as possible so the next drummer can set up, not having an ego, not judging a drummer based solely on equipment preference, not asking someone if you can sit in, etc.  With a lot of beginning drummers here at the forum I think its important to help instruct them what NOT to do as well as what to do, based on our own experiences and interactions with other drummers.  This thread addresses a lot of common misconceptions and attitudes, like good drummers only play big kits and have to know how to play a certain lick or song in order to be good.  Most importantly, this thread reinforces the concept of not overplaying, which is essential for beginning drummers who are not aware of this and think the more fluff the better.  Not to mention drummers who make everything a competition, limiting themselves from realizing the big picture or interacting and learning from others. (and ruining their own chances of networking with other musicians and picking up even more gigs) I think this thread could help prevent someone from going out and making a total idiot of themselves or worse, ticking someone off.  
I'm glad you started the "I love it when other drummers..." thread; perhaps enough has been said in this thread.  But, as a psychologist would say, perhaps this sharing and venting has been therapeutic because with 100 posts, there has obviously been a lot of things that people wanted to share. I think you, Mark, are an extremely positive person with so much to contribute.  I have a lot of respect for you. I would hate for you to feel uncomfortable in any way, like you're in an environment with negative vibes.  You gotta' admit, though, bro, some of these posts have been pretty darn funny! ;D  
What do you say we lock this puppy down.  Mr. A?  Bart?

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: ritarocks on August 30, 2003, 11:05 AMWhat do you say we lock this puppy down.  Mr. A?  Bart?

Nah, there's nothing offensive here. And we've got ample opportunity to write positive posts in  http://community.drummercafe.com/index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=5153]the alternate thread 563 created .

Bottom line: there ARE things to be learned in this thread.

tainteddrummer

Quote from: ritarocks on August 28, 2003, 08:43 PM
Next time a drummer does this, ask him/her to play Whiplash, Disposable Heroes, Hit the Lights, Blackened, Master of Puppets and Battery from beginning to end and then talk trash.

.. uhh.. what about dyer's eve?  lol
i love blackened .. i finally learned how 2 play it .. it's cool how the verse is in 6/4 and the pre chorus goes in2 a 5/4 bar b4 james yells FIRE!!! .. it took me a long time 2 figure that 1 out.

nudrum

Quote from: ritarocks on August 30, 2003, 10:12 AM
assume I'm a sucky drummer because I'm a female and talk to me like I'm in kindergarten.

Well now Rita, don't you think using words like "sucky" is unbecoming of a lovely lady such as yourself? You need to wash your mouth out with soap! ;D

Mark Schlipper

I wont argue that learning what not to do is a handy thing.  Thats for sure.  Its not necessarily the results I was taking issue to, it was the means.   By heading up something like this with the idea of things to "hate" (or heck, even dislike) about other players adds an inherent sense of animosity that strikes me as counterproductive.  

Its funny ... this is the only place where Im deemed the "positive" one :)  Im typically the "cynical hateful bastard" (all in jest of course) but by keeping my sense of humor (which tends toward the highly caustic and sarcastic) in check around here to avoid misunderstanding, I and up all Ghandi.  Funny, you wouldnt think it to meet in person :)

Keep this thread going, to each their own really, I certainly dont feel uncomfortable.  It just kinda disappointed me to see it grow as large as it had.  So be it, its easy enough for me not to read it (as wouldve continued being the case til rita said I should check back :) )

hitman357

last night i had a guy tell me i was playing "crossroads" all wrong. i should do it the way "so and so" does it...

Quote from: cavalier302 on August 20, 2003, 02:06 PMTHWAKKETY pish BAM

...they make a cream that will clear that right up.....

Redcamaro

563....take a look at the subject line again.  It does not say I hate other drummers.....but I hate it WHEN other drummmer....

It's not about hating people, just things they do.  It's not the same thing.

For example, I hate it when my Beagle craps on the floor but that doesn't mean that I hate my dog.  (Not in any way comparing drummers to animals.)

Joe

No, 563, I know exactly what you mean.  It is rather sad per se that this thread, despite its good points and overall necessity, dwarfs the other thread you started that is perhaps more positive.

Left hand fulla suck...that describes me to a 'T'! :D

Poopypants

Quote from: RHSquonk on August 20, 2003, 12:18 PM
that nice 70's cardboard sound.

One of many perfectly usable and musical ways to tune a kit. It may be out of fashion now, but it will come back. How many of you guys rave about Gadd? Or Woody Woodmansy, etc.

Poopypants

Quote from: Joe K on September 01, 2003, 07:48 PM
No, 563, I know exactly what you mean.  It is rather sad per se that this thread, despite its good points and overall necessity, dwarfs the other thread you started that is perhaps more positive.

Left hand fulla suck...that describes me to a 'T'! :D

Silly me. I only just noticed the size of this thread. I'm not gonna read the whole thing.
However, it does show you something about human nature that the gripe thread gets more hits than the appreciation thread...

drumwild

Trust me, this is somewhat relevant.

My ex-wife had this job where, as part of the performance review process, they implemented a Feedback Form. This form would be filled out by her supervisors and put in her personnel file. The original intent was that these forms could be filled out for anything outstanding, be it positive or negative.

These forms would be looked at during the six-month review process.

She did an OUTSTANDING job during the six month period and made just ONE mistake. Guess how many forms ended up in her personnel file?

One.

While things were going smoothly, none of the supervisors ever even gave the Feedback From a thought. However, the moment she messed up, they'd be LOOKING for that darn Feedback Form.

I advised her to make her OWN file and fill one form for all the great things she did. Then they could talk about THESE things during the review. The HR Director had a file with one form. Her file was stacked, averaging 3 forms per day of good things that were done (this got her a promotion to management).

My point is that it seems to be human nature to focus on the bad things.

The Governor's race is in full swing here in California, and I've yet to hear ONE good thing about anyone who is running. It's just how people are.

Still, I would agree with those who can see the positive lining in this thread. After all, this can cause us to think about how we behave and react.

Maybe it can make some of us better drummers and, ultimately, better people. I've learned a few things.

sjm1112

Well said....I just want to add that I hate it when drummers take a thread about one thing and turn it totally into something else...wait...no...thats what I LIKE about drummers. Im confused. :-\

Nubert Thump

Ok, here's my peeve...you go to a club and the band's drummer is just jingling along, basically just following the band--no tasteful fills, actually no fills at all, no accents, no strong backbeats, nothing other than just adding the sound color of having drums in the band.

You figure the player only has modest skills, is still learning and just trying to hold his/her own.

THEN.. a few sets into the night the drummer takes a solo and, low and behold, plays all over the kit, has great chops and then some, hits the drums with much more authority and command than they did all night. After the solo the drummer segues right back inot the background, following the band and adding nothing.

You'd think a player with chops like that could figure out how to use them to lead and add to the music instead of just treading water until it was solo time.

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: Nubert Thump on September 05, 2003, 06:19 AM
Ok, here's my peeve...you go to a club and the band's drummer is just jingling along, basically just following the band--no tasteful fills, actually no fills at all, no accents, no strong backbeats, nothing other than just adding the sound color of having drums in the band.

You figure the player only has modest skills, is still learning and just trying to hold his/her own.

THEN.. a few sets into the night the drummer takes a solo and, low and behold, plays all over the kit, has great chops and then some, hits the drums with much more authority and command than they did all night. After the solo the drummer segues right back inot the background, following the band and adding nothing.

You'd think a player with chops like that could figure out how to use them to lead and add to the music instead of just treading water until it was solo time.

Wow - at the risk of being flamed to death - you just TOTALLY described how I feel about Virgil Donati.

Ducking and running for cover...

felix

It's about time someone said something provacative around here.

I think that is why I like Steve Gadd and Harvey Mason so much.  They can pack so much into the groove and it still sounds and feels great.

sjm1112

I actually agree with you about Donatali.

Scott

Personally, I've gotten a lot out of this thread.  As a sideman, hired-gun, accompanist, etc., I'm always trying to please the people I'm playing with.  Many of the things brought up in this thread made me think and I ask myself, "Gosh, I sure hope *I* don't do ___!"  

So, I've gone through most of this stuff re-evaluating my actions and feel like I've achieved a minor degree of self-improvement.  It definitely can't hurt.  Plus, I've had kind of a bad attitude lately and needed something to make me see it!!  lol   ;)

Now, if I get depressed going through this thread, I have Mark's positive thread to pump me back up!   :D

drumwild

QuoteI hate it when drummers take a thread about one thing and turn it totally into something else

Do you mean, like where they start talking about cheese?

Oops, I already did that.... wink wink.. nod nod... say no more!   ;D

psycht

Quote from: Scott on September 05, 2003, 07:50 AM
Many of the things brought up in this thread made me think and I ask myself, "Gosh, I sure hope *I* don't do ___!"  

I think this was exactly the intent. Not to say that everything listed here is 100% agreed as an annoyance, but some things are put into light that other members may not have noticed.

Think of it as an eye opener, or better yet, bits of wisdom passed along by your peers.  Use it and apply what you can.

ritarocks

I hate it when other drummers call congas "congos"!
(sorry, not trying to prolong this thread but I always hear this mispronunciation by other drummers.)