Topic: I hate it when other drummers...  (Read 22778 times)

Drumbo

I hate it when other drummers...
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2003, 07:26 PM »
At the risk of sounding like someone I'm really not, "hate" is such a strong word!  ;D

While I have been annoyed or amused by, or maybe even dislike some of the things that have been mentioned, the only thing I can really think of in my life that I "hate" is a thief - and I don't mean licks, I tend to take that as flattery and a complement of sorts.  

I mean someone who steals what is yours and takes it away from you. Whether it's a drum key, a pair of sticks or someone who snags your whole kit from a vehicle or a club, those are the only drummers I hold enough contempt for to "hate".

If you play long enough and often enough, it will eventually happen - in my case, my vintage set of 1964 Ludwig Super Classics (in black oyster pearl) were boosted from my 1962 Chevy II in 1984. The thief got everything except for a 9 x 13 tom and some timbales locked in the trunk with a mic bag and some cables. Not only did I have to spend a few months playing on borrowed junk drums to meet my commitments, but the whole incident soured my faith and trust in others - I went from a lovable sweet guy to the grumpy cynic that I remain today.

It was the same year I broke up with the girl I planned to marry after a seven year romance (it's very likely that the change in me contributed to that) and now, twenty years later, the profound heartbreak following that relationship is just another distant, faded memory - but, I can recall every last detail of that magical drum kit I had owned and cared for since I was nine years old! Every small ding in the finish and every tiny pit in the chrome is as fresh in my mind at this moment as is the memory of first climbing behind them in profound ecstasy on Christmas morning of 1964. It was so much a part of me that I still sometimes have dreams where I'm playing that kit.

I have no doubt that I was set up by another drummer who had "cased" my routine, knew the scene, planned the deed and acted with premeditation in the ten minutes I took my eyes off my livelihood. My own guilt and remorse still feed the "hate" all these years and thousands of gigs later. It's sort'a hard to get bent out of shape by some kid bashing away in a music store after that.  :(

THE drum set, Mardis Gras 1978

ritarocks

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2003, 07:45 PM »
and their kit has that nice 70's cardboard sound.
lol

I also hate it when I'm talking drums with another person who claims to play or have played drums and they obviousley have no idea of what I'm talking about.

hehe.  The real way to tell a drummer from a nondrummer is to see if they have a drumkey on the keychain ;D I guess we can't blame them for wanting to be a drummer, though, because we're so cool! 8) hehe

my vintage set of 1964 Ludwig Super Classics (in black oyster pearl) were boosted from my 1962 Chevy II in 1984. The thief got everything except for a 9 x 13 tom and some timbales locked in the trunk with a mic bag and some cables.

that really sucks.  we feel your pain bro! we mourned with Louderb over his stolen cymbals in this thread:  http://community.drummercafe.com/index.php?board=9;action=display;threadid=4730]http://community.drummercafe.com/index.php?board=9;action=display;threadid=4730 ...a whole kit's even worse! :'(
like drwalker said, its all about karma and they'll get theirs...great photo, though--I'm glad you shared that with us.

Offline nudrum

• Cafe VIP
  • A man and his cymbalta
Re:I hate it when other drummers...
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2003, 08:27 PM »
When other drummers drop names of obscure drums and other gear just to prove they're" real drummers."
Enjoying a resurgence in jazz gigs.

ritarocks

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2003, 08:41 PM »
Here's something thing that often happens in drum circles...(a pet peave, so to speak...)
When you start off with a beat, say on the djembe, and you're waiting for another drummer to play "opposite" you, like on the upbeat if you're playing the downbeat, or a transition fill if you're holding the rhythm, and they instead play exactly what you're playing in unison.  So, you change it up to counter them and then they do exactly what you're doing again. ;D  It is one of the most challenging things in drumming, I think, playing in a drum circle and trying to maintain your independent beat without eventually, subconsciously, doing exactly what the other drummer(s) is doing.  It's harder than it seems--if you haven't done it, try it. Its like you have to listen to them, but tune them out just enough so not as to mimic their exact rhythm.
Another thing I hate in drum circles is when everyone just starts banging without first LISTENING to everyone else and letting it build. (what a concept)  And a lot of circle drummers don't realize that individual simplicity is best, as ideal complexity is achieved collectively and dynamically.
Some of the fondest memories I have are playing at the drum circles in Florida on Siesta Key and Nokomis beach.  Every Wednesday and Saturday all kinds of drummers, at least 50 or so with claves, bongos, djembes, doumbeks, shakers, etc., drum from sunset til late at night...And people dance around the fire...so cool...but I'm telling you, sometimes it can be a total trainwreck and really frustrating when people just come and bang to show off without caring about being part of a group...

SamIam

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2003, 09:30 PM »
...have a 25 piece kit and only use 3 of them and seem to be playing exactly the same on every song.  :P

...give you pointers in an attempt to make themselves apear far superior.

...think that their is only ONE way to play the drums, and they invented that way.

...slap the OCDP logo in their signature even though they dont own any OCDP equipment becasue its too expensive.

oops I think i went too far into self loathing

Offline Joe

• Cafe VIP
  • Seeburg traps
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2003, 01:00 AM »
My peeves are rather shallow in comparision to many others listed here (all of which I agree with).

-- Heavy hand on the hi-hat—It bugs me somewhat to see a drummer playing with the same strength on the hi-hat cymbal as with the snare drum.  Maybe they wish that sound, but for the past three years or so I've much preferred less strength on the hat.

-- Overstuffed bass drum, as mentioned by Rita—In a studio, close-miking, or quiet situation, this is fine, given the song.  It has no place when the drums aren't mic'ed and the guitars are at 11.

-- Heavily dampened snare—See above.

I suppose I'm guilty of pet-peeving if anyone's '-list' includes people giving informal five-minute lessons on music store equipment (even if the lesson-giver in question was asked first), as well as crashing a heavy 'ping'-type ride cymbal during a public low-skill chops display on said music store equipment. ;D
I'm not a particularly slow player, yet I don't play fast.  I play half-fast.

Offline irishthump

• Silver Member
  • I love the Drummer Cafe!
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2003, 06:11 AM »
I have to agree with you guys, about people who think drumming is a contest.

A little of the point, but our lead vocalist really annoys me!!! He's one of those people who will see another drummer/guitarist/keyboard player do a flashy lick/solo and think that they are the best musician he has evr seen in his life! He said it to me once after we played a wedding gig, we went to another part of the hotel to check out another band. Now, they WERE fantastic. Great musicianc, great sound and production, but our singer just went on and on about the keyboard player, and you wanna know why? Because he had 3 keyboards!!!! That was the reason! Like I said to him, he only has 2 fuc*ing hands!!!!

Anyway, thanks for listening to this rant!
"Free your mind, and your sticks will follow....."

Offline Kelly Minnis

• Gold Member
  • I'm new to the Drummer Cafe!
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2003, 07:00 AM »
I get annoyed by these drummers:
1. Guys who dent your heads and refuse to pay to replace them.
2. Guys who can play circles around you and take every opportunity to remind you of that fact, either on stage or off.
3. Guys who spend $$$$$$$$$$$$ on Ayotte or some other really really nice drum kit and proceed to put pinstripes on there and muffle the sweet jesus out of 'em!  Man, just let those drums ring!  That's what yer payin' for!
4. Guys who clearly lie to you about the places they've played when they can't tell you a thing about those clubs!
5. Local headliners who refuse to make room for your drum kit.  C'mon guys, you're not too big a star to move your kit!

Things that impress the hell out of me from drummers:
6. Guys whose double-kick chops are cleaner than my stick chops.
7. Guys who can really feel a shuffle.
8. Guys who can't get through a single tune without breaking a pair of 2B's.
9. Guys who can smoke AND play at the same time.
10. This will certainly reveal that I am a chauvinist hog but...women drummers always impress me.

Offline nudrum

• Cafe VIP
  • A man and his cymbalta
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2003, 07:15 AM »

9. Guys who can smoke AND play at the same time.

No, no, no!!
There was a guy who came to the local jazz night and, when he went to sit in, lit up his pipe, put on his hat and played badly. I thought, if he had just played badly that would be okay. But to make such a show of it with the pipe and hat...AAAARRRGH
Enjoying a resurgence in jazz gigs.

Offline Jon E

• Cafe VIP
  • Gaaaah!
    • Things Very Special
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2003, 07:33 AM »

8. Guys who can't get through a single tune without breaking a pair of 2B's.

THAT is impressive?????

Wow!, We have VERY different ideas about the term "impressive".

Offline Scott

• Cafe VIP
    • Scott Miles
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2003, 07:46 AM »
... take their kits apart completely (ie unmount toms, taking cymbals off the stands, etc...)  before they leave the stage when your band is waiting for him/her to finish cause your gig is next.  Just take it off to the side and then break down your kit!  >:(

Man, you hit the nail on the head with that one!  That is by far my #1 pet peeve of other drummers.  I have to deal with this all the time and expect I'll have to deal with it at both of my gigs coming up this weekend.  It is completely unprofessional and if a drummer does that, I already hold a grudge against him/her.  Seriously....  NO excuse.  If any young drummers are reading this, please DO NOT DO THIS!!  I don't care if each band has 24 hours between sets, get your gear off stage ASAP, THEN breakdown/pack-up.

The other HUGE thing is overplaying a room volume-wise.  As if overplaying the band isn't bad enough, when a drummer overplays a room, they always seem oblivious to it.  I played a gig two weeks ago where the opening band's drummer did this and drove people out of the bar.  We were the headlining band and lost most of the crowd because that jerk drove them out.  Also, people were coming in and when they were about to pay cover $$ at the door, they were subject to the racket and they would just turn right back around and leave.  We got screwed out of a good show and out of $$ that night all because of some non-musical, inconsiderate jerk.....  Again, completely unpro....  

Wow, this thread got my blood boiling....  Thanks a lot, Rita..   :)

ritarocks

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2003, 09:00 AM »
but our singer just went on and on about the keyboard player, and you wanna know why? Because he had 3 keyboards!!!! That was the reason! Like I said to him, he only has 2 fuc*ing hands!!!!

Hehe.  Its like when people (usually nondrummers) think a drummer is so great just because he has a 20 piece kit. (already mentioned)
 I always say. "Yeah, but can he play a 5 piece kit?  That is the question!"

I also have to say I hate it when other drummers host an open mike night, but won't let you raise or lower the snare.  How can you play if you can't reach the darn thing!? Like moving a drum up or down a centimeter is going to cause any damage! ...If they're so worried about their kit, they shouldn't host an open jam!

Offline Mister Acrolite

• Cafe VIP
  • I'm not bald; I'm aerodynamic.
    • k e i t h c r o n i n . c o m
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2003, 09:04 AM »
I also have to say I hate it when other drummers host an open mike night, but won't let you raise or lower the snare.  (how can you play if you can't reach the darn thing!? like moving a drum up or down a centimeter is going to cause any damage! ...If they're so worried about their kit, they shouldn't host an open jam!

While I can sympathize, it's really in your best interest to learn to quickly adjust to whatever kit you're sitting behind. At an open jam it does seem silly for the guy to be concerned about this, but the more easily you can adapt to whatever you're faced with, the better you'll sound in ANY sit-in situation.
Hit on 2. Repeat on 4.
(instructions found written on Mr. A's snare drum)

Monk Man

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2003, 09:16 AM »
with a few notable exceptions:

drum solos!

BigBillInBoston

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2003, 09:16 AM »
While I can sympathize, it's really in your best interest to learn to quickly adjust to whatever kit you're sitting behind. At an open jam it does seem silly for the guy to be concerned about this, but the more easily you can adapt to whatever you're faced with, the better you'll sound in ANY sit-in situation.

I generally agree with the "it's good to learn to adjust" comment. However, I'm guessing that Rita and I represent height extremes (she petite, me tall) that make it more likely that we would need to adjust a snare's height or angle in order to play comfortably/effectively.  Being able to adjust the snare in a situation like a "jam" certainly doesn't seem an unreasonable request and is one I would think the drummer hired for the gig should expect. That being said, I always ask before I do it out of courtesy and would expect to be asked if it was my kit being used.

BigBill

TAMApete03

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2003, 09:25 AM »
...sit down behind your drum set and start playing without asking permission.

...sit down behind your drum set and start playing leaving dents in the heads because everyone knows the harder you hit the better you play. (...while still not asking permission.)

...trash you because you use "really small sticks when everyone knows all the really good players use sticks the size of Lincoln Logs."

OOHH........ That makes me soo mad!!!!!!!!

felix

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2003, 09:27 AM »
bragg about all their gigs or how many they played last year, whatever.

Thanks, but shut up, I don't care.  If I ask, then tell me.

I don't think another drummer (even one of my best drummer buddy friends) has ever given me a compliment on the sound of my drums.  The say I'm a helluva player, good player, etc. and that is nice, but I get the impression that they think my drum sound always sucks.   just tell me!  I pay compliments to cats all the time if I can- I dig alot of different sounds and appreciate their sonic "visions".  

But hate is a strong word.  I hate the cats that rip you off in the music bizz.  It's hard enough to make a buck/get your gear/get a gig- let alone getting shafted.

Offline Christopher

• Cafe VIP
  • That's MR. Colaiuta to you...
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2003, 09:55 AM »

Yep. That's something that I had to work hard at when I was younger. It's definitely an advantageous ability to have and like Mr. A said, "in your best interest" as well.

I was in the "opening band" position for many moons, playing in original bands. Playing other peoples drums is an occupational hazard and it's made worse by the dreaded "Don't change anything!" rule that you sometimes hear.

I once had a left handed drummer tell me that! I convinced him to just let me reverse the floor tom, snare and hats. But the toms were backwards, Kenny Aronoff style and the ride was on my left. Lotta fun.

Years later, when I was the one that had to bring the kit as a headliner, I had some compassion for the poor slobs that had to use my kit and I would say, move anything you want, just don't break anything and try to put it back as close as you can.

Now, I can sit down at just about any kit and feel at home after a minute or two. It wasn't easy getting to that point though.

"What one man can do, another can do."
-Charles Morse (Anthony Hopkin's character from the 1997 movie, The Edge)

Offline psycht

• Cafe VIP
  • Taye GoKit Owner
    • My Music Projects
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2003, 10:22 AM »
I don't think another drummer (even one of my best drummer buddy friends) has ever given me a compliment on the sound of my drums.  The say I'm a helluva player, good player, etc. and that is nice, but I get the impression that they think my drum sound always sucks.   just tell me!  I pay compliments to cats all the time if I can- I dig alot of different sounds and appreciate their sonic "visions".  

Hehe.. i get the opposite. They like my sound, but never mention my playing.  :-\

Offline Big-Skittle

• Silver Member
  • The Drummer Cafe Rulez!
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2003, 10:32 AM »
Ya know what really gets under my skin?

It's when I see a drummer with a dope ass kit like a D.W., Fibes or whatever custom made kit and it sounds like CRAP!  >:(

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram