• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

I hate it when other drummers...

Started by ritarocks, August 20, 2003, 11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon E

Quotewith a few notable exceptions:

drum solos!

Amen!

drumwild

Quote...it's really in your best interest to learn to quickly adjust to whatever kit you're sitting behind...

Lots of clubs require use of their house kit and sometimes don't allow for a soundcheck... it's annoying, but it happens.

Louis Russell

Quote from: drumwild on August 21, 2003, 11:29 AM
Lots of clubs require use of their house kit and sometimes don't allow for a soundcheck...
I have had to do that many times.  I hate it and I know my drums sound better but thats the way it is sometimes.  

Christopher

Quote from: drumwild on August 21, 2003, 11:29 AM
Lots of clubs require use of their house kit and sometimes don't allow for a soundcheck... it's annoying, but it happens.

Never see a "house guitar" or "house bass" though.

You know, I'd love to move the strings around on guitar and hand it to them just before they play live.

Here you go! Now you know how we drummers feel...

drumwild

One club actually requires use of their house amps... now THAT's a complete nightmare, cuz they don't take care of any of their gear and you lose your sound.

But, yea, if there were a house guitar then everything would suck and the other guys would know what we endure. Amen on that!

ritarocks

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on August 21, 2003, 09:04 AM
While I can sympathize, it's really in your best interest to learn to quickly adjust to whatever kit you're sitting behind. At an open jam it does seem silly for the guy to be concerned about this, but the more easily you can adapt to whatever you're faced with, the better you'll sound in ANY sit-in situation.

tis' true...adaptability is important...but being a little uncomfortable behind the kit and not being able to reach it at all are 2 different things...not to mention whacking the index finger knuckle on the snare rim and drawing blood doesn't feel so good...I guess I could carry around a booster seat with me ;D

drumwild

I played a house kit on Monday... it's like I train my muscles on my setup and then have to re-think it all during the performance. I should cut back from 4 toms to 3... rehearsing one way and performing another is always strange, but not impossible.

ritarocks

I hate it when other drummers ask if they can sit in instead of being invited to do so.

ritarocks

Quote from: cavalier302 on August 20, 2003, 02:06 PM
I hate to see a drummer come in on a song like "Over the Rainbow" with a resounding fill like"BOOM BOOM THWAKKETY pish BAM CRASH" when a simple cymbal roll would suffice.
What, you don't think you should start off "Over the Rainbow" with the intro. fill from "Over the Mountain" (bllllllblllllblllllbllll-bappap) ;D

Bart Elliott

Quote from: ritarocks on August 21, 2003, 12:39 PM
I hate it when other drummers ask if they can sit in instead of being invited to do so.

Ditto. It's just plain rude.
The only exception would be if a fellow musician (IN THE BAND) asks if it's alright if __________ sits in.

Drumlooney

I hate it when other drummers tell me why do you play pearl drums you should play brand "X" they are much better.

will_tm

Drumlooney I have to agree with that. I also get the 'Your drums are old, they must suck' kinda comments a fair amount.

oldstix

...actually I don't have a "hate" thing. However, this is a very interesting thread. I also envy so many of you who belong to bands. Enjoy!

Gregg Rivers

Quote from: Drumlooney on August 21, 2003, 01:51 PM
I hate it when other drummers tell me why do you play pearl drums you should play brand "X" they are much better.

Felix!!? Have you been hacking on Drumlooney again?  ;D

sjm1112

Quote from: ritarocks on August 21, 2003, 12:56 PM
What, you don't think you should start off "Over the Rainbow" with the intro. fill from "Over the Mountain" (bllllllblllllblllllbllll-bappap) ;D
Thats not the way you start Over the Rainbow? I find that the intro to "Over the Mountain" will fit most if not all songs.  ;)

MOUSE

I hate it when anyone be-littles another drummer or other muso's.
We all have different levels, some just don't remember they were once at some stage at a similar level too.(age immaterial).
Another is drummers who play the wrong rhythm to a tune, and i'm guilty of it myself. Mostly  heard on drum machines programmed by guitarists.

Redcamaro

A couple of things.

...poor or no concept of dynamics in a close setting.  I just can't stand it when a drummer doesn't have a grasp of volume control and plays every part of the kit at the same volume through the whole song and the next song, etc.  It literally drives me crazy.

...when one of the band members brings a drummer friend and he just has to sit in for a while during practice and everybody else ooohs and aaahs at his playing.  I HATE that.  I mean come on, the guy is just showing all his chops and the coolest groove he knows to impress.....don't you people see through that?!?!?!?  That just kills me.

...when someone sits on my kit and breaks or scratches something and doesn't say anything to me and I don't notice it till later.  That really bugs me too.

Man this thread just gets my blood boiling.  I gotta take a prozac or something.

felix

HELLO... I played a pearl kit for almost a year!  And my shrink says I'm making progress!

Seriously, I HATE IT when a band member says "can joe, used to play in the band, sit in."  I used to throw a fit, now I'm more tolerant.  But my bands know a little better now.

If I know they can play with some finesse, then it's ok

Kelly Minnis

Let me clarify my reason behind the what impresses me list.  It's tongue-in-cheek for one. Like the rest of you I'm impressed by good playing, good songs and good tones.

Floyd42

I do not "hate" when other drummer do smthg, as long as they do it with respect for one another, and humility (for himself).

So I'll have to say that I hate drummers (and people in general) who do not respect others. Even though "hate" is a tough word (I would have say "I do not care for")

Everyone should learn to have respect for others, and furthermore, every drummer should learn humility, even though you're a monster chops builder !

Floyd