• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

I hate it when other drummers...

Started by ritarocks, August 20, 2003, 11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott

Quote from: ritarocks on September 08, 2003, 03:16 PM
I hate it when other drummers call congas "congos"!
(sorry, not trying to prolong this thread but I always hear this mispronunciation by other drummers.)

lol!

Yeah, what I get is musicians of other instruments or non-musicians who call the djembe a 'bongo'.  This happens all the time!!  "Oh, that's a nice bongo!" or "Can you soundcheck that bongo for me?"  

And of course, the guitarist and lead singer in one band I played in used 'congos' and the bass player called the tablas, "tabulas" and the singer called them "taballas".  

And the absolute worst/funniest ever:

I did an aux percussion gig a few weeks ago with a conga/timbale based rig.  The soundman says to me through the monitor on stage:  "can you soundcheck those snare drums for me?"  The drummer started playing his snare!!  lol!   :D  But the soundman really meant for me to soundcheck my timbales!!!  Too funny....   :)

Nick

Ok, My go…  ;)

I hate it when other drummers (or any musicians for that matter…) trash there gear on stage!  :(

If you dont want it anymore, give it to a musical charity allowing underprivileged kids or people with special needs to enjoy creating music…

Dont be a muppet, do some good with your old/unwanted instruments…

Smashing instruments is so not cool…  >:(

Cheers

N

SteamRhino

Quote from: Poopypants on September 02, 2003, 08:08 PM
One of many perfectly usable and musical ways to tune a kit. It may be out of fashion now, but it will come back. How many of you guys rave about Gadd? Or Woody Woodmansy, etc.
OK Off topic
Gadd actually played a cardboard box on a Ricky Lee Jones album. I think the tune was "slow boat to Peking" or something like that. It was PERFECT fot that tune :D

ritarocks

Quote from: Nick H on September 08, 2003, 04:24 PM
Ok, My go…  ;)

I hate it when other drummers (or any musicians for that matter…) trash there gear on stage!  :(

Then you would definitely find the Vinnie Vincent Invasion video "Boys are Gonna Rock" extremely painful!  Gear trashing is an understatement in this video!  I think all the gear eventually blows up or something...I remember it from Headbangers Ball in the 80's...wasn't that Bobby Rock on drums?  I've got some clinic pics from the 80's of him jamming ...if any one is moderately interested in seeing one I'll try to dig them up.

nudrum

Quote from: SteamRhino on September 08, 2003, 04:48 PM
OK Off topic
Gadd actually played a cardboard box on a Ricky Lee Jones album. I think the tune was "slow boat to Peking" or something like that. It was PERFECT fot that tune :D

It's" Woody and Dutch on the slow train to China" and he's playing boxes and thighs. His I suppose ;D.
It's off the Pirates album

DrummerMom

Quote from: ritarocks on August 30, 2003, 10:12 AM
assume I'm a sucky drummer because I'm a female and talk to me like I'm in kindergarten.

That irritates me to no end! The first time I went in to the local drum shop Where I live currently about 4 guys were back by the drums talking about drummers and this and that.
I walked back by them and said I need to speak to someone in this department about some cymbals and a double pedal. They all started laughing and one guy said "Sure sweetheart you play drums!"
I said can I play one of these kits? I need to try out a double pedal also. I ripped up a solo then walked over to the guy and said now you play! I got uh, I have to go to work, I can't be late! I replied sure "Sweetheart" run along!

Louis Russell

Quote from: DrummerMom on September 18, 2003, 12:43 PMI got uh, I have to go to work, I can't be late! I replied sure "Sweetheart" run along!
Way to go sweetheart!   ;D

WiPunkAllStar

I HATE when other drummers are better than me!!! hah not really, I just use it to push me to be even better.  

But what I really do hate is when, like someone previously posted, handles your gear disrespectfully.  I've had my pedal broken, pieces lost, etc. because of it, which just set me off.

Floyd42

Quote from: Nick H on September 08, 2003, 04:24 PM
Ok, My go…  ;)

If you dont want it anymore, give it to a musical charity allowing underprivileged kids or people with special needs to enjoy creating music…

Dont be a muppet, do some good with your old/unwanted instruments…

Smashing instruments is so not cool…  >:(

I totally agree with you. So many musicians have to struggle to buy their instruments ! I can't stand when wealthy bands throw their instruments on the stage just for fun. It's just direspectful.

Jetter2

I have a little 5 peice rodgers kit, and I showed up this one guy 2 weeks ago at a local club. And this was on his own set. I of course, asked permission to play his kit, and thanked him for letting me play. I think he might of been a little upset because an audience member played better than he did, but I made sure not to ever knock his style...diffrent strokes for diffrent folks.

Mateus

Quote from: Mightydog on August 20, 2003, 06:08 PM
...sit down behind your drum set and start playing without asking permission.

...sit down behind your drum set and start playing leaving dents in the heads because everyone knows the harder you hit the better you play. (...while still not asking permission.)

...trash you because you use "really small sticks when everyone knows all the really good players use sticks the size of Lincoln Logs."

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I HATE IT!!!!

Everyone one looks at my drumkits (mounted, polited, with new heads, shining) on one of the studio room's at my studio and sits to play as the kit where their's or of the studio...

IT IS NOT
IT IS MY KITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Can't you see it's written CHIMAERA on the bass drums????!?!?!?!? So it doesn't belongs to YOU!!!!"

GRR
I hate it...

Also
I hate drummers without Feeling...
I hate drummers without Groove...
I hate drummers without Creativity...

rocksurvivor

i hate it when they come to a jam session where your kit is on the floor and they don't even bring their own sticks, so then they break yours and beat the crap outta your kit

Shnapper

I hate long boring threads on the subject of hate, how hateful is that?  ;D

Don't be hate'in...................... :)

HEHEHEHE!

rocksurvivor

Quote from: xena on August 21, 2003, 12:39 PM
I hate it when other drummers ask if they can sit in instead of being invited to do so.
amen to that

rocksurvivor

Quote from: will_tm on August 24, 2003, 03:17 PM
Sean I can totally relate to when people tell you they want something like boom tick crack boom...... Its normally the guitar player, so I tell him to play like this

'weeeeeeeeeeroowwwww chukka chukka chukka wow waaaaah!!!'

That normally makes him stop with his boom tick crack crap.
that is very funny, i love it

topleywonder

A pet peeve of mine is when someone you are trying to give pointers to gives you the cold shoulder and acts like you don't know a flippin thing about drums and that they are the god of cool chops (even though they screw up every time they play)
Overplaying is another problem, something that just bothers me to no end.
One more, when people totally brag about their skills and think they are "the man." Then they want to see your skills just to put themselves higher, so you sit down and play your heart out, and the guy just says its "beginners luck" or some crap like that.

SteamRhino

Don't Groove 8)
(Not hate...just don't like)