• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Too Much Gear?

Started by Bart Elliott, May 08, 2002, 03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bart Elliott

Do you think it's possible to ever have too much gear?

Can a person have too many snare drums in their collection? Too many cymbals?

I'm not talking about instruments in a set-up ... I'm talking about just possessing instruments as an individual.

sidereal

Yes, good god, YES!

I just moved and I realized that I have so much music gear, percussion, old stands, snare drums, cymbals, cables, recording stuff....  it's maddening. I was actually throwing some stuff away, rather than selling it. Then you gotta store it all. I need to zenify my life. I'll be selling off the non-essentials.

BAnimalG

LOL!!!  Holy crap, they've found me out!!!   ;D  I have an entire closet full of musical CRAP!!  Stuff I don't even use anymore, but am "afraid" to throw away, just in case I might need to use it some day......it's a sad situation!  LOL!!

Misenko

You guys could send me some of your "musical crap" if you want! ;) I could always use it! I NEED NEW EQUIPMENT!!!!! ;D

Msenko.

Carn

hehe, well, this forum is occupied with old guys who scavenged to much things they dont use anymore! give it to the new kids :D

clearseawater

Dont let the girls in your lives here this conversation  ;)..

Collecting is very masculine, well thats what I tell my other half......tee hee :)

As regards "drummy stuff", I really just have my kit and a few percussion odds and ends, not much really..

felix

I have way too many cymbals that I hate and I would like to sell both one of my five pieces and get a 6 or 7 high line kit.

I have some junk equipment but I have been selling off the stuff the past 3 years...so it's been whittled down.

Peter Jeffery

Three full kits.  Way too much percussion stuff.  

Switched cymbals back to Zildjians so have too many not being used.  I actually just gave away a 13" studio AAX to a drummer girl I met at one of our shows.   Still have way, WAY too much to contend with.  

Getting more soon.

Bart Elliott

You all should be taken out back and whipped with a wet blastick!  Too much gear? COME ON NOW!!!

You can never have too much gear!  8)

You can never have too much gear, especially when it comes to percussion. Everything has it's own unique sound and purpose; I love having the options.

Now ... on the other hand, I do understand not keeping instruments that you either don't like or know you will never ... EVER ... use. I have an ASCEND 4x14 brass snare with diecast hoops that I have kept over the years (Ascend was made by LP in the early 90's). I've kept that drum for Reggae acts/tunes but haven't used it in years. I'm thinking of selling it and using the money to buy something else I would use more often).

I guess time affects our views. Things that have been sitting around tend to make clutter ... but I agree with clearseawater in that guys tend to collect (or what women would call "pack rats").

BAnimalG

QuoteYou all should be taken out back and whipped with a wet blastick!  Too much gear? COME ON NOW!!!
<--  LOL!!

Mark_of_Cenla

While I do not think you can have too much gear, I recently gave some stuff away to a friend.  I no longer have any extra toms or bass drum, nor very many extra cymbals.  I have been set free, and it feels great.  I have two good sets and two sets of cymbals and one extra snare.  For now, that is enough.  I will probably get another snare by this time next year, and one can never have too many cymbals. :D  Peace.

welshwoolridge

Hey guys! Ive been playing for about 4 years now and ive hardly got ne gear! I need to get more stuff but then again I'm moving soon so i might not have ne room! Ive got a gig in my 18th birthday party a week friday and i cant get down to re-skinning my kit! But if you want to send me some gear guys, Im more than happy to take it off your hands! ;)

Dark Drummer

no way u kan never have to many cymbals  the more the better  and snares i saw one of each soprano, picalo etc....toms i see no use for more than 3....stands yeah u kan to many of those thats why i lvoe grabers and stackers thank the drum god for those lol....stix always cary extras...

Louis Russell

OK guys, I am older than most here and I know for a fact there are only two times when you have too much gear.  First is when you are planning a move (are you listening Bart) and the second is when your wife is taking inventory of your musical equipment.  Other than that you can never have too much gear.

guitarizt

You know you have too much gear when you don't use everything.  Then it's time to sell it.  I don't have a lot of guitar stuff, but I sold some stuff I don't use much on ebay a few months ago.  I've made $300 on ebay.  I've sold guitar stuff and video games.  That helped to pay for the drumset I bought but I didn't get yet.

If you have any extra stuff you can e-mail me at guitarizt@hotmail.com.  I need an extra stand for a china (I think I don't know much about drums, lol), a throne, and sticks, lol.  I play guitar but have recently been feeling the urge to play drums.  It's easier buying stuff from someone you sorta know and it's a lot easier than putting the stuff on ebay.

hifizen

heh ...and a month after you sell that noisy thing-a-ma-bob you haven't used in a zillion years... "Oh - guess what I could use right now!"  ::)

Hehe, never fails.   ;)

Tony

You can never have too much gear!  That said, I have 4 complete sets, one which has sat in a closet for 4 years :o  I just can't bring myself to part with anything, since I live by the "better to have and not need then need and not have!!!" creed.

Drumlooney

I don't think you could ever have to much gear, that being said I'm glad my wife does'nt read this forum!! :-\

Autist

I think you have to much gear when you can't store it anymore, but to store things you must be creative, replace a painting on the wall for a cool looking and fitting cymbal, so it will take a lot of time for me to have to many.

felix

Heck, I can buy another set then and not worry about anything since I only have 3 kits.  It's perfectly normal to have 4, 5, 10 drumsets.  One in every room of your house.

Actually, I'm going to dicipline myself and have only two acoustics and one electric kit...RIGHT