Topic: extra pedal  (Read 1126 times)

zest21

extra pedal
« on: October 30, 2003, 03:58 AM »
I've seen pics of people with extra pedals-wood blocks and shakers and all the rest- even on attached to the bass drum pedal- weird, with a cable. What do they do?  how do they improve the kit?  and where can you get these extra addons from?

cheers,

zest

Jon E

• Cafe VIP
  • Gaaaah!
    • Things Very Special
extra pedal
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2003, 05:51 AM »
Open any music store catalog (or online catalog) and you'll see all those pedals and extras you speak of.

www.interstatemusic.com
www.musiciansfriend.com
www.samash.com
etc.
etc.

Bart Elliott

• Super Admin
  • Founder & Owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
Re:extra pedal
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2003, 05:55 AM »
Doesn't "improve" the kit ... it's just a way to provide additional sound sources to the kit, while maintaining the standard setup. Typically these extra pedals (sound sources) are played by the left foot (or the foot that is on the hihat pedal). Since this foot is open times available to DO something more ... unlike the foot that takes on the kick drum role ... it's a perfect way to add to your sound, cover more parts, and actually use 4-way coordination.

Just an FYI ... you don't have to have this extra stuff in order to use 4-way coordination, but having these sound sources at your disposal can open many doors for your overall sound. It doesn't fit every genre of music perhaps, but it can be a lot of fun!

Mark Schlipper

• Cafe VIP
  • drum + hand
    • chock full o' creamy goodness
extra pedal
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2003, 10:42 AM »
Excluding remote hats and remote bass pedals, most of those extras are on "Gajate" brackets (Gajate is LP's name for 'em at least).   A simple stand with a percussion (cowbell style) rod on it that your pedal can clamp to.   A lot of latin players use cowbells or wood/jam blocks on thiers to keep clave going instead of using thier hats.

I have one with a tambourine on it for doing middle eastern style music.    Sometimes middle eastern hand drummers wear ankle bells and keep time with thier foot and the bells while playing hand drums.   I duplicate that with the tambourine.  

http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5607334&siteid=40906838&bfpid=440547&bfmtype=gear]
LP Gajate Footpedal Bracket

I also have the DW Bozzio beater attachment, which has three different attachments (shaker, jingles, zils) that mounts directly to the beater shaft on your pedal.  Allowing you add that element of sound to anything youd play with a pedal.  Like having a tambourine jingle with each bass drum hit.  Im considering getting a bass practice pad so I can use these attachments without any other sound.

zest21

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2003, 05:25 PM »
anything apart form a cowbell?

Mark Schlipper

• Cafe VIP
  • drum + hand
    • chock full o' creamy goodness
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2003, 11:04 AM »
anything apart form a cowbell?

Uhm ... yeah ...

A lot of latin players use cowbells or wood/jam blocks on thiers ... I have one with a tambourine on it

and Bozzio has a couple piccolo toms on 'em I believe.   Ive had a snare setup like that before as well, not on a bracket, but on a second pedal.   Pretty much anything that will mount on a percussion rod can fit on a Gajate.   Other than that, its just a matter of what you can get low and stable.

Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram