• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Your favorite online drum instruction is?

Started by edrummer, January 10, 2004, 05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edrummer

To date, my favorites have been:

http://www.digevent.com/events/consumer/music/drumbeat/archives.asp

and the vicfirth site...

(yes Bartman, I am sure I will VIP soon!)

How about the rest of you?

And while you are at it, what ONE video of instruction would you never part with?

Dan

smoggrocks

i haven't done an exhaustive search, but the stuff i have found doesn't really work that well for me, save for a few sites like funkdrums.com and i think one was called drumroom.com.

i'm more of a 'monkey see, monkey do' type of learner, and need to have stuff spelled out for me one-on-on, in person. even videos can be kind of limiting. they tend to go too fast. they're good to refer back to, though.

i've gotten good information from forums such as this one, from people who are obviously well-schooled in drums and/or music. they've been able to clarify a lot of questions for me. but i don't know that i'd call that instruction per se. just sharing wisdom.

i tend to look to the internet for "edutainment" or light-hearted fun more than serious instruction. i mean, something's gotta hold my interest while i'm at work.

like now >:(

Tony

I like the Vic Firth site and also the Digievent site aforementioned.  But for overall education about drumming as a whole, well, I am the cliche, but I vote for the Drummer Cafe!  

hotforaxl

Not sure if it qualifies under true 'instruction' but as a student I find it really helpful - it is the transcriptions and accompanying audio on  http://www.webthumper.com]www.webthumper.com

You get the sheet music and then a track of just drums and then the drums track overlaid to the original song (although there are only a few there for beginners - can't wait to try out the Dream Theatre and Rush ones eventually!)

:)

Floyd42

Quote from: hotforaxl on January 12, 2004, 06:59 AM
Not sure if it qualifies under true 'instruction' but as a student I find it really helpful - it is the transcriptions and accompanying audio on  http://www.webthumper.com]www.webthumper.com

You get the sheet music and then a track of just drums and then the drums track overlaid to the original song (although there are only a few there for beginners - can't wait to try out the Dream Theatre and Rush ones eventually!)

I agree with you. Web Thumper's site is a great resource. I've also used Divegent, but, since I have a teacher, I have enough material to work on for months !

BBJones

(I hate websites sometimes...) <--- unrelated rant...

Best resourced for me to date are these forums we're on right now.

I have enough books and charts to keep me busy for a few lifetimes, but being able to discuss things with experienced players is invaluable (it's like having a group of instructors at your disposal...).  I'll upgrade to VIP at some point to get in on all the visual stuff this site has to offer.  I can't imagine finding a much better resource than that...

I can say all of that becuase I've been playing for a long time, I know the fundamentals of techniques/styles so I learn the most these days from seeing other people apply things I already know about.  But, I will of course continue to research new stuff whenever I can...

psycht

SabbiS

Quote from: edrummer on January 10, 2004, 05:28 AM
To date, my favorites have been:

http://www.digevent.com/events/consumer/music/drumbeat/archives.asp

hey, great site!
Just a small annoying thing. I can't navigate through the video using the toolbar on the left. And watching the "weekly reading page" just to see the other goodies is quite tiresome.

Does that toolbar work for anyone?

hippie

Quote from: SabbiS on January 13, 2004, 04:22 AM
hey, great site!
Just a small annoying thing. I can't navigate through the video using the toolbar on the left. And watching the "weekly reading page" just to see the other goodies is quite tiresome.

Does that toolbar work for anyone?

It works for me when I use it.

I like www.drumdatabase.com , it's got lessons on everything!