• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

LARZ!!!

Started by phonic+, March 25, 2002, 01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phonic+

Can someone suggest the best Metallica vid for a decent drum solo segment?
Many thanks!
Jim
azabaza1@aol.com

scream187

find the live show where lars fucks up bellz so bad they got to start the song over.... hes just such a great drummer... I suggest you look at some other drummers for cool solos...

Bart Elliott

QuoteCan someone suggest the best Metallica vid for a decent drum solo segment?

I don't think it exists.

Quotefind the live show where lars fucks up bellz so bad they got to start the song over.... hes just such a great drummer... I suggest you look at some other drummers for cool solos...

Too funny.  ;D

Steve_LeBlanc

Yeah Larz isn't much of a drummer but I do dig that old Metallica album "Master of Puppets"

Peter Jeffery

I like Lars' stuff enough, it suits the material.  I'll be happy as long as he never ventures past Metallica and as long as he's not talking (which isn't very often).    

What other heavy-type drummers do you guys like/respect?   I don't know a lot anymore.   I've always been a Matt Cameron fan though.    

In my heavier days, I was in a band called 'Warrior' -a couple of us were guests on a Motorhead tour and got to hang out with Philthy Animal and Lemmy for a couple weeks.   A good education if you can get it!   Wonder what ever became of Philthy?    

I also liked Dave Krusen....I think he was the guy who did Pearl Jam's '10.'   I think John Otto from Limp Bizkut can be interesting as well.

felix

Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightening were excellent albums.  Larz playing and sound/feel at the time were revolutionary in that genre.   Yeah he sold out but c'mon?  I think every album they ever made has at least gone platinum twice.  He paid his dues.

Don't know what happened to Philthy-loved his work with M.H.-  Mickey Dee is not a slouch though.  And I agree...the studio guy's playing on PJ's 10 was inspirational...really put that great disc over the top.

rlhubley

Lars is one of those guys that is great at what he does, but ONLY at what he does!   There are better drummers in that genre, but he is one of the early guys that really set the standard.  Don't listen to him for solos, though!!!!

felix

I disagree to some extent.  And I'll tell you why in a minute.  I can't tell you exactly the footage I've seen his playing but one was a "Garage Days" video and the other was a live video.  I've also seem him in concert a couple of times.

What I would do if I wanted to sound kinda like Lars is I would keep the pinstripes on the powertoms.  He likes to open (from what I can remember) a 16th dbl kick pattern ostinato.  Get it solid...everyone thinks it's easy but it's not.  I had a real "hot" drummer in the studio last friday.  His double kick technique was weak.   This simple pattern was hard for him to expand upon.  He asked me to play (after we sucked down a couple of martini's) and was pretty floored by ol' felix's rock chops.  I told him at least 1/2 hour a day of double kick only.  Even the simple patterns can go down the toilet at slow bpms if this "rule" is not taken seriously.

I would then practice sextuplets on your kick/s and long clean-multitom sextuplet downrolls.  Go for 32nd's after that.  Basic, but when executed cleanly have excellent impact-especially on larger piece kits.  If you can, artifical group some kick/tom "quads" and maybe some 3's.  Rock should not be taken lightly.  And I don't think you necessarily should bash...just play measured and liquid smooth- blend phrasing while keeping strict pulse.  Remember Lars likes to play pretty much right down the middle.  If you wanna be a serious rock stylist then Lars playing, I feel, deserves some study.  That was my interpretation of how I would play a "Lars" solo then I would take Hubley's advice and maybe add some color from other sources.

irishthump

The great thing about Lars is that he's EVOLVED with Metallicas music. I'm not a huge Metallica fan, but they have accomplished a great deal in their genre.
Lars has always played tastefully, and his drum sound was always to die for!
As for solos, did he ever do any?

Steve_LeBlanc

My favorite Metal drummers:

Vinnie Paul...so solid.

Deen Castronovo - Technical Prowess and Musicality both.

There's plenty of others I dig but these two came to mind first.

scream187

If you like his speed on double bass, I suggest you listen to some death metal... most death metal drummers cant destroy lars on double bass speed...

Also he cant even play his own songs live, and just cant play any of his old material anymore anyway... Also I never checked myself (I listened to the music but didnt really paid attention to his timing) but I heard his timing is terrible ont he old albums where he's trying to play really fast...

And I know you guys are gonna laugh at me, but Joey is also doing hard pattern with his feets, not just straight 16 or 32 and he's doing em fast. Joey is also even more involved then Lars with his music since he writes some of the guitar parts and lyrics.

In conclusion if you like Metallica good for you... But dont tell me I got study Lars drumming if I wanna be a serious rock drummer because he's FAR from the best and theres A LOT of better drummers out there....

About the guy that was looking for solo, eventho some ppl thinks he plays with no enough emotion whatever I find that Neil Peart solo are usualy the most entertaining and interesting... (his not really a metal drummer tho...)

If its really metal you want, I think Joey is the best at the moment or danny carey if you consider tool metal (I dont...)

rlhubley

I guess we are all supposed to know who "joey" is.  I don't!  I will say this however, if you want to be a metal drummer you SHOULD study lars.  If you want to be a jazz drummer you've got to study all the old guys, even if there are drummers now that can play circles around some of the old guys.  If you want to be a metal musician at all you listen to Black Sabbath, Zeppelin, etc.  Why you ask?  Well, my friend, the reason is because these are the people who took it to the next level.  Yes, I'm sure this Joey character can play faster than Lars, but I'll bet Joey whoeverheis listened to Lars growing up.  W/out metallica, there wouldn't be speed metal, they started that.  W/out Lars, you wouldn't have the blazin dbl bass players you have today.  Because of lars, like it or not, dbl bass grooves are an ESSENTIAL part of ANY decent  metal drummer's vocabulary.  

scream187

QuoteI guess we are all supposed to know who "joey" is.  I don't!  I will say this however, if you want to be a metal drummer you SHOULD study lars.  If you want to be a jazz drummer you've got to study all the old guys, even if there are drummers now that can play circles around some of the old guys.  If you want to be a metal musician at all you listen to Black Sabbath, Zeppelin, etc.  Why you ask?  Well, my friend, the reason is because these are the people who took it to the next level.  Yes, I'm sure this Joey character can play faster than Lars, but I'll bet Joey whoeverheis listened to Lars growing up.  W/out metallica, there wouldn't be speed metal, they started that.  W/out Lars, you wouldn't have the blazin dbl bass players you have today.  Because of lars, like it or not, dbl bass grooves are an ESSENTIAL part of ANY decent  metal drummer's vocabulary.  

ok I thought everyone knew who joey was, he's the drummer/songwriter for slipknot. Joey Jordison. (and he was listening to kiss when groing up not lars hehe)

Yes I understand that if you want to be a jazz drummer you got to study all those ol guys hehe, because they are the best jazz drummers.

The thing is that Lars is FAAAAAAR from beeing one of the best metal/rock drummer. I'm not saying you guys should study joey, but theres other drummers out there way more interesting then Lars that play rock or metal.

And from what I know Lars wasnt the first drummer to use double bass anyway... And he couldnt even keep the time cuz he was trying to play too fast for him... he couldnt even play it live... Doesnt impress me, all the songs where theres fast double bassing in metallica, lars played the song right ONCE and its the version on the cd... its pretty lame in my opinion.

And I do listen to some of the older guys too, but in my opinion lars is not one of the great. Thats all I'm saying.

To sum it up real fast, I agree that you got to listen to some of the great players in the genre you want to play, but my point is that lars is not one of those great players.

Ps: he's a fuckn asshole as well... does beeing involved in the band mean sueing everyone to you? hehe

rlhubley

I understand your point.  What I'm saying is that he was(as far as I know) one of the first drummers to use double bass to in that fashion, with that speed.  Yes, there are many, MANY drummers who can play better, or faster than him.  But, since I feel that he pushed metal drumming to it's next level, I personally feel he should be acknowledged and studied(although, one should probably stray from studying his actual playing and instead study his "intent"!!)

Steve_LeBlanc

Just to be clear...Metallica was not the first Speed Metal band and many drummers kicked fast double bass stuff before Lars.

Lars is probably the only one who had to have a couple of punks grab his cymbals (on stops) for him in the studio because he couldn't grab a cymbal/hold his sticks/keep the groove at the same time.

As far as I know Megadeth was amongst the first popular Speed Metal bands...there really were quite a few. Metallica gets credit for having one of the coolest names and for touring the country several times over building a great fanbase over time.

I guess...either way...listen to Metallica if you like it...but I wouldn't listen to Lars for any tips as a drummer.

Dwarf

Steve, Megadeath are an offshoot of Metallica, or so I am told.

Where does Dave Lombardo fit into this?  Isn't he one of the pioneers of speed metal?

--
Rob

Steve_LeBlanc

QuoteSteve, Megadeath are an offshoot of Metallica, or so I am told.

Oh brother...I don't know then, I'm no Speed Metal expert...I do know guys were playing speed double kick patterns before Lars.

scream187

if you give me some time I may try to find something I read on the history of double bass, but I'm sure he was not the first, and from what I can remember not even one of the first.

I'm not a big expert at all on metallica or megadeth because I dont like the music but I think I read somewhere that metallica stole a lot of their songs from one of the guy in megadeth... or something along those lines...

Anyway as the other said... if you enjoy listening to metallica listen! but I dont think you should try to learn from lars... unless you got a few punks at home with nothing better to do then grab your cymbals while you play... hehe

Dwarf

Scream, he definitely wasn't one of the first to play double bass.  He's about 40 years too late, Louis Bellson or Sonny Greer can claim that honour.  Lars is considered one of the pioneers of death or speed metal.

--
Rob

Peter Jeffery

For those who were wondering:

After he left Metallica in 1983, guitarist/vocalist Dave Mustaine formed the thrash metal quartet Megadeth.