Topic: LARZ!!!  (Read 12185 times)

scream187

Re: LARZ!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2002, 04:25 PM »
For those who were wondering:

After he left Metallica in 1983, guitarist/vocalist Dave Mustaine formed the thrash metal quartet Megadeth.

yea thats what I was thinking but not 100% so i prefered not saying anything rather then saying something not true... and metallica probably used the material mustaine wrote when he was with them...

Steve_LeBlanc

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2002, 04:43 PM »
Where does Dave Lombardo fit into this?  Isn't he one of the pioneers of speed metal?

To me Dave Lombardo was always 10 times the drummer Lars was/is...Slayer started around the same time as Metallica (1982), at that time they were both pretty weak technically but Dave's drumming was much more influential on the scene.

This is how I remember it...I was a kid who was into Jazz Bebop but hung out with a bunch of Stoner kids who listened to Metal (I was pretty stoned most of the time back then too:)). My brother took Double Kick drum technique to a new level around 1987 so he was the Speed Metal drummer I paid the most attention to.

rlhubley

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2002, 05:21 AM »
Dave is another guy that is definitely a pioneer of the extreme speed of dbl bass.  You are all right!  Lars was NOT the first guy to use DBL bass.  All I am saying is that he was the first to use it in THAT way!  you know?  It's the same with Buddy rich.  He most definitely was not the first guy to use the snare drum.  And there are guys that can play faster than him today(although not many, and I'll probably get flamed for saying that!).  However, he was the first to play the snare quite like that!  And therefore pushed it to the next level.  I think Lars and Dave did the same thing for Dbl bass drumming.   Like it or not, Metallica should also receive credit as being ONE OF THE FIRST speed metal bands.  There were probably a few more, but w/out Metallica growing in popularity, you wouldn't have many of the metal bands today, or they would at least sound a lot different(could be a good thing!!).  Slayer i think came out just AFTER metallica, and megadeth definitely did not even form until after the first album from metallica, "kill 'em all", was released.  Dave Mustaine was booted from the band for actually being too wasted too often.  Apparantly the drunkeness gave him a temper and he was too hard to work with, plus he was screwing up live shows too badly.  They fired him!  SO, he left and formed Megadeath, a band who took the speed metal thing to another level. Meanwhile, metallical soon realized they could play metal at slower tempos as well as fast ones.  They quickly lost the name as the fastest band around.  

Azrael63

Re:LARZ!!!
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2002, 08:43 PM »
Just my 2 cents' worth, it's probably worth even less what with inflation and all... for an entertaining, if not technically brilliant, solo, check out his piece from the San Diego show on the "Binge & Purge" boxed set.  Also, I realize that Lars & many other metal drummers (Nicko McBrain, etc.) may not be considered technical geniuses, but their playing has inspired countless people, myself included, to learn how to play drums.  Remember, all music is communicating.  Rock & metal drumming is meant to be more direct & to the point.  Missing subtlety?  Yeah, probably, but to this day, nothing makes me want to sit down behind my kit more than Lars' drumming on the "Metallica" album.  Okay, this is more like 5 cents' worth, but hopefully y'all get what I've been babbling about.  Peace!!!
Az

Offline Daddy0

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2002, 09:22 PM »
Although he definitely was not metal, one of the first  rock drummers to make fairly extensive use of double bass was Ginger Baker.
 Anybody know of any rock rock double-kickers that pre-dates Ginger?

Carn

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2002, 04:52 AM »
i just read an interview with drummers like paul bostaph and gene hoglan (and other metal drummers), most of them started double bass drumming with songs from motorhead like "overkill"- 1979 and stargazer from Rainbow (a song from 1976)

i wanna bet that double bass drumming goes back to the mid sixties

Lars only made it famous, but he is still an average drummer.

BTW, lombardo is a pretty good percussionist as well, he once did a classical music project, with european classical music mixed with afro-cuban percussion.
He did a cool song with Grip Inc (metal band) as well, its called "Bug Juice", its a sort of drum/spanish guitar battle, with a small solo, and some double bass and percussion on the end. its not metal or rock, more experimental (i was kinda suprised to find that song on a Grip Inc cd)....so anyone who has a nice connection, try to download it!

BAnimalG

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2002, 06:47 AM »
There are a few things I like about Lars, but there are more that I don't.  Yes, he has evolved IMMENSLEY from the time that Metallica was just starting out.  BUT, as far as being a great drummer, that he is not.  The only technique and sound that I would try and replicate of his is his kick drum playing and sound.  I love the sound of his kick drum!  A couple of songs that he really utilizes the double kick that represent him well are "Battery," "One" and  "Fuel."  

Offline Daddy0

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2002, 09:59 PM »
Mid-sixties sounds about right. The example I was thinking about was Toad on the album Fresh Cream circa 1966.
[url]http://allmusic.com  says "His [Ginger Baker's] distinct, idiosyncratic style is best demonstrated by the drum solo on his own "Toad," wherein he gives his drums such a primal pounding that the listener is not sure whether to laugh at his caveman-like intensity or to sit back in awe at the unrelenting assault."

I remember this album even though I was only around 9 at the time, because all of my (4) older brothers were (are) guitar players, so I had an early education in rock music.

Offline Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
  • Founder & owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2002, 10:22 PM »
The only technique and sound that I would try and replicate of his is his kick drum playing and sound.  I love the sound of his kick drum!  A couple of songs that he really utilizes the double kick that represent him well are "Battery," "One" and  "Fuel."  

Hats off to his Drum Tech and the Recording Engineer ..... I seriously doubt it has anything to do with his playing technique.

BAnimalG

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2002, 06:39 AM »
Hats off to his Drum Tech and the Recording Engineer ..... I seriously doubt it has anything to do with his playing technique.

True, true.  He probably has nothing to do with it at all.

mateus

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2002, 03:35 PM »
Agree Bart!!!

I also disagree with felix, I think that if you wanna be a serious rock drummers you don't have to study lars, he's not a pionner, not tecnical and not even creative... I think there's a lot of better rock drummers out there...

And I also disagree with someone who told that there's not good rock drummers by now... For me, Mike Terrana and Deen Castronovo are still some of the best rock drummers out there...

TAMApete03

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2003, 02:55 PM »
Lars was the one to get me into the whole drumming thing. I just remember hearing the song "ONE" with that double bass thing and was like Whoa! i wanna do that!! lol. I've been a huge fan of Metallica for years and have seen them live 3 times.

I think that he's a good drummer (certainly not the best). but since then i've found out better drummers (like Dave Lombardo) and others that can do what he does and so much more.

DrumGun

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2003, 04:15 PM »
Here are some comments that will probably piss some people off, but I assure you , I speak the truth...

I've not only met Lars and found him to be quite the little man syndrome arrogant prick, but have had occasion to see him live and found his playing to be absolutely second-rate, sloppy, and strangely weak for the amount of effort with which he was swinging.  His time is bad, his feel is bad, his accuracy is bad, and during the last tours "solo", where James Hetfield and he traded licks, had his ass handed to him by his lead singer.  Nice.

I've also met various producers, engineers and mixers who have worked with him, who all agreed on the personality points, and had far uglier things to say about his playing than I.    All of this being said, I too enjoyed a good deal of excitement the first time I heard "Ride The Lightning", and do find the group to be absolutely of worth to music history, without a doubt.

This brings me to my next point and request for everyone on either side of this debate:

I ask you to consider the following...

When a drumer is obviously very talented or unique it's easy to point out that he is groundbreaking, but how much credit should be given to his SITUATION?  

Certain bands are breaking new ground by virtue of their music, forcing every member of the group to reach.  In the early 80's Metallica was doing just that.  In a band that is musically treaking new ground, an average drummer will sound above average when he's just keeping up, and a great drummer will take it to new levels (Carey, Beauford)  I use Carter as an example because I consider him a friend and have heard him lay WAY off of the ill stuff we all know him for, but is given free reign to do in DMB.

Just consider, because fame doesn't necessarily equal ability, and if you can pull of paradiddles, you're probably better than Lars.

DrumGun

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2003, 04:16 PM »
Acrolite, I bet you're laughing your ass off right now...

Offline random

• Platinum Member
  • Seriously, I love the Drummer Cafe.
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2003, 05:14 PM »
" and now, the loudest voice in any road crew, G R!"
"ey there new castle, let's here it for the road crew! creeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!"
MOTORHEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
just gotta love 'em
and Anthrax

Dave Lombardo, Deen Castronovo, Roy Mayorga, etc
great metal drummers

but "Battery", "The Four Horseman" , "Motorbreath", "Whiplash".... awesome songs... but let's face it lars, you're slowin down.

Offline random

• Platinum Member
  • Seriously, I love the Drummer Cafe.
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2003, 05:17 PM »
i bet this thread will get shut down sometime...

tainteddrummer

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2003, 05:43 PM »
i like both slayer drummers.. awesome double bass
  and the BEST metal drummer (i think anyway) is the guy from DEATH he's fu**in awesome .. super speed double bass, sum odd time stuff, awesome fills.. i 4get his name tho..

bak 2 lars... i'm a HUGE 'talica fan.. i'm goin 2 the summer sanatarium tour.. i don't like the rest of the line up tho .. i HATE limp bizkit and linkin park.
   my fav metallica cd's r master of puppets and ....and justice for all
    if u think lars can't do double bass listen 2 the last song on the justice album dyer's eve... very cool double bass... still can't compare to death tho

other awesome rock drummer's r the drummer from testament, and blind guardian. the cd by blind guardian called tales from the twilight world has a few songs that have a lot of doubal bass

Offline Tkitna

• Gold Member
  • I'm new to the Drummer Cafe!
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2003, 05:58 PM »
Anybody know of any rock rock double-kickers that pre-dates Ginger?

Thats a tough question. When did Moon start beating on the doubles all the time? I need Paul to help me out here. Homework time.

Carn

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2003, 06:04 PM »
Tkitna: Check some old school Focus work, I believe the occasional rather impressive double kick work pops up from time to time

bak 2 lars... i'm a HUGE 'talica fan.. i'm goin 2 the summer sanatarium tour.. i don't like the rest of the line up tho .. i HATE limp bizkit and linkin park.

--- Fun thing though, of all the drummers on that tour, John Otto (limp bizkit) is technically and imho, musically the best

if u think lars can't do double bass listen 2 the last song on the justice album dyer's eve... very cool double bass... still can't compare to death tho

---Fun thing though, there are rumours that Dyers Eve was toyed around with, sped up, and that lars played the pieces bit for bit. Dont know if this is true, but i still have to  see a Live version of Lars pulling it off----

other awesome rock drummer's r the drummer from testament

--- Fun thing though, Testament hasnt had a permanent drummer for the past 2 or 3 discs i believe....its Lombardo on The Gathering....and I believe Gene Hoglan on the disc before that-----

ChinaCymbol

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2003, 06:09 PM »
 A couple of songs that he really utilizes the double kick that represent him well are "Battery," "One" and  "Fuel."  

don't forget dyers eve, i love the kick in that song.  I don't appreciate lars as a drummer, but i like what he does with his cymbols.  I think 'and justice for all...' was the best album for him.

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram