Topic: LARZ!!!  (Read 12183 times)

tainteddrummer

Re:LARZ!!!
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2003, 05:31 PM »
  Check some old school Focus work
 i've heard 1 song by them hocus pocus... AWESOME song...

Speaking of Megadeth, one of my favorite drummers of all time is Nick Menza
.. didn't he die of an overdose or something.. jimmy degrasso then took over (i think).. but now there is no more Megadeth bc mustane pulled something in his arm and can't play anymore..

if you want really amazing double bass work and fills check out the band called DEATH .. good songs are 1,000 eyes,and symbolic,

.. someone said something about mathcore.. would that mean progressive metal like tool.. i'm really into that stuff could you tell me some bands that play like that

BloodMagician

« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2003, 06:17 PM »
Nick Menza didn't die of an overdose. He left because of differences with the band's frontman, Dave Mustaine. Nick went on to record a (lousy!) solo project, called Menza-"Life after 'Deth". Jimmy DiGrassio (formely of Alice Cooper's band) did in fact take over on Megadeth's last original studio album, "The World Needs a Hero." Megadeth split up last year due to Dave Mustaine's injuries that rendered him unable to perform.

As far as Death goes, perhaps you should re-read my post more carefully.

Offline Mark Schlipper

• Cafe VIP
  • drum + hand
    • chock full o' creamy goodness
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2003, 07:28 PM »
The only thing I DON'T like about this forum is the "Snobbieness" is some of the replies.
Some people in here act like they're best thing that happened to percussion insturments.
Any top 40 drummers in here???

what if we are the best thing to happen to percussion instruments?  i mean, i know i am.
Making bad art.  Saying stupid things.  Implimenting my master plan to be forgotten when I'm gone and forgettable while I'm here.

The Luna Moth
me
Perish the Island

Offline Louis Russell

• Honorary VIP
  • Will Drum for BBQ
    • Retired Pilot Examiner
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2003, 08:07 AM »
The only thing I DON'T like about this forum is the "Snobbieness" is some of the replies.
Some people in here act like they're best thing that happened to percussion insturments.

The Drummer Cafe is the "ONLY" professional level percussion forum on the net.  I haven't noticed any "snobbieness" from anyone who is a long term Cafe member.  We do have our disagreements at times but for the most part this is one big happy drumming family.  
No one will believe it's the "Blues" if you wear a suit, 'less you happen to be an old person, and you slept in it last night!

Ratamatatt

« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2003, 09:19 AM »

There are allot of very intelligent drummers here, and I have yet to see any of them berate anyone for asking an honest question.

I have.  And I've seen Bart ding them from the Cafe for it too.  (Bart hasn't said it but I think he's got a three strike rule - 3 offensive posts and yer out).  That's why the discourse at the Cafe is so comparatively civil, with the exception of psudo sarcasm by Felix and I and a few others.  That's probably also why the Cafe has many successful professional drummers who regularly participate.  They appreciate the honest questions and answers and the absence of juvinile behavior.  Yeh, free speech is a bit truncated here, but, I think Bart has (painstakingly) acheived a desireable balance.  And, IMHO, balance is everything.

Ratamatatt

Offline Tkitna

• Gold Member
  • I'm new to the Drummer Cafe!
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2003, 10:17 AM »
Tkitna: Check some old school Focus work, I believe the occasional rather impressive double kick work pops up from time to time

Back to the subject of the early double bass players (should start a new thread for this but oh well), Ginger Baker and Moon we're earlier. Focus started in 69' and I read that the drummer was Hans Cluever (spelling?). He has some chops for sure. I'm still doing my homework.

macman10

« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2003, 02:38 PM »
How did I know "Bermuda's" name would come up?
This IS THE best drum forum no doubt about it but some of the guys here DO act a little TOO "professional" in their responces.

RelientKngOdrums

« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2003, 02:46 PM »
i think what we all need to realize, is that Larz is a rock drummer. that's it, that's his thing, and he knows it. i will respect anyone who knows what they're into, and keeps with it. Larz doesn't practice anything else because he no longer needs to... he's set for life. personal feelings of Larz aside, he's just not the guy to find a cool solo on, and i think he'd probably agree, at least i hope he would. check out some of the other guys who have already been mentioned on this thread.

Offline JeepnDrummer

• Cafe VIP
  • Ding, fries are done!
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2003, 02:55 PM »
Focus started in 69' and I read that the drummer was Hans Cluever (spelling?).
Cluever played on two Focus albums: In and Out of Focus in 1970 and Hamburger Concerto in 1974.  Pierre Van der Linden replaced Cluever for Focus' 2nd album, Moving Waves, which contains Hocus Pocus.  He also shared drumming duties with Cluever on Hamburger Concerto.

Tom

Offline Mister Acrolite

• Cafe VIP
  • I'm not bald; I'm aerodynamic.
    • k e i t h c r o n i n . c o m
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2003, 03:02 PM »
Pierre Van der Linden replaced Cluever for Focus' 2nd album, Moving Waves, which contains Hocus Pocus.

That guy's drum breaks on Hocus Pocus are FIERCE.

There's one that's one of the fastest, cleanest hand-to-foot licks I've heard outside of Tony Williams or Tommy Campbell - great stuff. I'm planning to post that clip on my "drum licks from hell" page when I get a chance.
Hit on 2. Repeat on 4.
(instructions found written on Mr. A's snare drum)

Carn

« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2003, 03:07 PM »
yeah, Restore the dutch drumming :) hehe

Hans Cleuver has his own -succesfull- drumschool these days, I dont know what Van der Linden is doing these days, his name doesnt pop up much in the drum-press over here.

Offline random

• Platinum Member
  • Seriously, I love the Drummer Cafe.
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2003, 03:36 PM »
wow!  everyone seems to have matured a bit! no mudslinging yet!  i'm impressed guys... keep up the good feelings!

Ratamatatt

« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2003, 04:24 PM »
Pierre Van der Linden replaced Cluever for Focus' 2nd album, Moving Waves, which contains Hocus Pocus.

That guy's drum breaks on Hocus Pocus are FIERCE.

There's one that's one of the fastest, cleanest hand-to-foot licks I've heard outside of Tony Williams or Tommy Campbell - great stuff. I'm planning to post that clip on my "drum licks from hell" page when I get a chance.

I think I know the fill your talking about and to me it sounds like its between the snare and toms.  But, I don't have the record so I only get to hear it on the radio.

Ratamatatt

Offline Dead Trooper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2003, 07:34 PM »
  Check some old school Focus work
 i've heard 1 song by them hocus pocus... AWESOME song...

Speaking of Megadeth, one of my favorite drummers of all time is Nick Menza
.. didn't he die of an overdose or something.. jimmy degrasso then took over (i think).. but now there is no more Megadeth bc mustane pulled something in his arm and can't play anymore..

if you want really amazing double bass work and fills check out the band called DEATH .. good songs are 1,000 eyes,and symbolic,

.. someone said something about mathcore.. would that mean progressive metal like tool.. i'm really into that stuff could you tell me some bands that play like that

You are probably referring to Gar Samuelson, Megadeth's first drummer. He passed away a couple of years ago on an OD, long after he left the band. When he was in the band, he and Mustaine almost killed each other (literally) in a fight.
It's still Rock'n'Roll to me.

tainteddrummer

« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2003, 02:21 PM »
If you like what you hear I can send you a nice big list of cool hardcore/mathcore bands.  
 i couldn't get the link 2 work but can u send me a list of bands anyway....

You are probably referring to Gar Samuelson, Megadeth's first drummer. He passed away a couple of years ago on an OD, long after he left the band. When he was in the band, he and Mustaine almost killed each other (literally) in a fight  

thanx 4 clearin that up.. i saw the behind the music and all i remembered is that 1 of the drummers died and it wasn't degrasso

TAMApete03

« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2003, 03:22 PM »
Back to the whole Lars topic, and please correct me if i'm wrong, but when Metallica did the song "ONE" and lars does that sixtuplet (i think that's what it is?) on the kick, didn't that set him apart (or sort to speak) from other drummers in that time frame? also, too Lars likes to do that triplet on the kick followed by a snare and  cymbal hit.

Songs like Fight Fire With Fire, and Dyers Eve when he pretty much keeps his double bass going throughout the song, takes some kind of talent I think.

I'm not trying to stick up for him and his playing definitely isn't the best  by any means, but i gotta say, he's gotta be doing something right! (well at least when he's not talking, lol)

Steve_LeBlanc

« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2003, 04:07 PM »
Back to the whole Lars topic, and please correct me if i'm wrong, but when Metallica did the song "ONE" and lars does that sixtuplet (i think that's what it is?) on the kick, didn't that set him apart (or sort to speak) from other drummers in that time frame? also, too Lars likes to do that triplet on the kick followed by a snare and  cymbal hit.

My answer would be no...I think anyone over the age of 30-32 who was playing Speed Metal at the time was doing those licks well before "And Justice for All" came out...my brother was in his band.

"Kill Them All" and "Master of Puppets" had some things that influenced a lot of drummers...I don't think Lars was much of a leader in Speed Metal circles later in his career. And in my opinion "And Justice for All" is very late in Metallica's career...I didn't buy any of the albums they made after that but I own everything up to that point.

Lars is a very successful man...I give him props for that...but he's not a good drummer...I don't think he has much natural talent for music...he's a businessman...good for him.

Hi...just wanted to add some snobby comments...nah...I'm telling the truth as I see it.

:)

BloodMagician

« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2003, 10:33 PM »
I think that the first real double bass work in regards to a heavy metal type musical style was first introduced into the world by Scott Travis (Racer X, Judas Priest.)

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram