• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

SKB Cases

Started by DoubleC, February 02, 2004, 02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoubleC

I just purchased a new Pearl Session Series kit.

Will I need to purchase a size up to accomodate the Optimounts on my toms?  For instance, will I need to purchase a 10 x 12" diameter case for my 8 x 10" tom ?

I'm interested in the SKB cases.

Double C

Scott S.

I have a Pearl MMX with Optimounts, I will measure mine tonight since I have a full set of SKB cases that I use with my gigging kit(older Tama Granstars).  For the Granstars a 12 x 10 case works for the 12 x 11 Granstar tom, but a optimount would definitely not fit.  For the Granstar tom I rotate the tom so the tom mount goes in the extra area of the flat bottom section of the case.

The SKB cases are nicely made and worth the extra cost over fiber or bags IMO.

Most Guitar Centers stock them in you want to check out the sizing thing for yourself.

DoubleC

Thanks Scott for doing that.   :)

It was sort of scary taking these out w/o cases.  It's funny - my wife said I drive slower with these drums in the car vs when my family is in the car.  

DC

Scott S.

I tried the MMX with optimounts in the SKB cases and can report the following.

1.  The 12 dia tom w/ optimount fits nicely in a 13 dia case, very similar to how the 13 dia Granstar fits in the 13 case.

2.  The 14 dia tom w/ optimount does not come close to fitting in the 14 dia case, and is very loose in a 16 dia case.

3.  The 10 dia tom w/ optimount does not come close to fitting in the 10 dia case, and is very loose in a 12 dia case.

The ideal then would be case ONE INCH larger than the drum, but I don't think they make 15 and I am sure they don't make 11.

Not sure where that leaves you.

You get H & B Enduros without foam or SKBs and remove the factory padding, and then add some DIY thicker foam to the 2 inch oversize case.

Gregg Rivers

If I may suggest.... try using another type of case. I use "Hardcase" cases and they are made with the mounts in mind. My 10" case allows just enough room for my tom with ISS mounts. Call them and see what they can do. The other alternative I thought of is get the SKB 12" for your 10" tom ect. and put extra padding in the case to "fill" the extra space.

DoubleC

Thanks everyone for the help.....

I think I'll do some price comparison between the Hardcases and the XL Specialty cases.  

Looks like the XL Specialty cases are made with the mounting rims in mind too.

DC