• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Stretching

Started by Chris, February 13, 2004, 08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

i did a quick search before posting this - couldn't find anything with "stretch" in the title.

what parts of your body do you stretch before playing? and what stretches do you use?

do you think that it is important to stretch after a session as well?

i find it all very interesting  :-X

Bart Elliott

smoggrocks

i tend to babble on this topic forever, coz i danced a lot of ballet, and stretching is just a part of my life. i MUST stretch daily or i feel like crap.

before gigs or practice, i stretch out my whole body, not just my hands: legs, arms, neck, back, to loosen up and work up a little sweat. i do some hand stretches, slowly and deliberately, but tend to do rudiments instead of stretching to warm my hands.

if the room is cold and i'm sweating, i may stretch afterwards, just to stay warm and not cramp up.

the key thing to remember about stretching is to always do it when you're already a little warmed up, move very slowly, never go to a point of pain, just slight resistance, and never bounce when stretching. it's easy to tear or injure a muscle if you bounce. also, you have to think about how your body is positioned in space. function follows form in this instance. the movement should be fluid, natural, well-positioned.

if you really want to learn the finer points of stretching, take a beginner yoga, stretch, or pilates class. also, it's important to make sure your muscle strength is in proportion to your flexibility. like, your body should be able to support itself. also, when doing any forward stretching while seated, watch your posture. think of your body lifting and moving UP, not just forward or down, before you lean over to stretch.

see, i'm already starting to babble. pm me if you really want more stretch tips.

"i can stretch a leg, but not a buck"  arf, arf!

Chris

ah yes, i should have looked in the 5 minute jobs. ;)