Topic: drum sticks (nylon or wood tips)  (Read 12154 times)

BO733

Re:drum sticks (nylon or wood tips)
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2002, 09:30 AM »
I've never had much success with the nylon tips. I much prefer using wood.

MVanDoren1

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2002, 10:08 AM »
Wood, though i tried a chicken in each hand the other day, sounded pretty good, not only do you get the sound of the drum, you get the sound of the chicken too!!  
Chicken 5A's by Vic Firth, i could be on to something here!!

Great!  Next time you get the urge may I suggest a cat or two.  Very versatile you know- now with the chicken you've got the beak for that nice cutting click (or cluck) sound, flip em over (they twirl real smooth by the way- just don't inhale too deeply or you end up with a mouthful of down) and use the tail inplace of your brushes.  Now the benefits of cat are very imressive indeed, on the one hand (foot or paw rather) get em real angry so they extend their claws- nice raspy sound on the cymbals if you brush them across the grain, flip them over too (now I'd recommend some caution as well with those claws, you know, cat scratch fever and all) to utilize the head as a nice soft mallet -  recall the theme song from the old star trek series- you know when the Enterprise creeps in from the edge of the screen then rushes across the planet surface... well I believe that rushing sound was accomplished with the utilization of both a grey tabby and a persian -  someone else help me out here in case I was wrong but I believe those were the two varieties of cat in use for that take.

bangdums

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2002, 10:33 AM »
I use nylon tips only because the church I play in is so reverberant I need as much definition as possible. I use coated heads on the snare and all my toms too.

Skinbasher

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2002, 10:52 AM »
Oh yes, MVanDoren1 your on my wavelength1!! The cat idea was a great help.......amazing sounds caressing my ears as i played last night......Fluffy and Smokey enjoyed it too, they got more applause than me!!
It seems we've hit on an unlimited supply of stick options, where will it end?? Rodents, Marsupials, Reptiles sea dwelling creatures, all with their very own uniquely textured surface for that personalised sound.
I think i will try Komodo Dragon next, i've heard the leathery texture makes a gorgeously crisp sound on most playing surfaces (favoured by most Metal drummers).

guitarizt

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2002, 01:34 PM »
nature beats man on this one

MVanDoren1

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2002, 07:31 AM »
Skinbasher-

Tonight you've just got to try these babies... natures answer to the "NEW"-yeah right(!) blades by Vic Firth- these must have been their inspiration- you ready... oh the anticipation-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
- Duck billed patypus- of course since you are using 2 maybe that would be platypi- he he

paul

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2002, 12:05 PM »
I usually prefer nylon tips for rock and country gigs to help the ride cymbal cut through the guitars.  

For acoustic combo jazz I'll generally use wood tips, since that sound seems to mix better.

When I switched from a 21" K heavy to an  old 22" A medium in my big band I also moved over to nylon tips for added definition.  Good combination.

Generally I prefer nylon tips.  Wood tips develop soft spots too quickly, which makes it harder to keep a consistent sound, especially on the ride cymbal, so nylon tip sticks last a lot longer for me.

All the Vic Firths I've used have been really good.  The tips stay on and don't break or crack.  

RLRR

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2002, 09:15 AM »
I like the durability of nylon. I like the sound of wood tips better though ! But, I seem to chip the tips off so easily (at least with the VicFirths I was using). I really want to stay with wood, so I am gonna try some different sticks to see which ones last a long time. At the moment I'm trying out the Vater fusions.

RLRR

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2002, 04:34 PM »
I've tried the Vater fusions a little while now, nice balance, very  nice sound from my snare (much more snappy than I got with barrel- or acorn-shaped tips), and they're still in once piece. If you use 5A weight sticks, I recommend giving these a try !

BlueDevilsSnare

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2002, 11:15 PM »
I definately would go wood tips, with SD1 or SD2 sticks, preferably vic firth. However, the Vic Firth "Steve Gadd" line is a nice stick as well.

mrdrums

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2002, 01:35 PM »
Nylons last longer.  When I bought sticks for 30 cents a pair I used them, but at today's prices !!!!!!

mrdrums

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2002, 02:06 PM »
Again it depends on your taste. Nylon last longer, cut thru on the cymbals.  Wood get mushy quickly and at todays prices, it depends on what you can afford.  I used to buy sticks for 30 cents a pair, showing my age. You can't tell the difference on the drums, just the cymbals......

Kryogh

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2002, 07:44 PM »
I prefer nylon. First for durability then for the attack that they provide on every thing you hit.

Looks like I'm hooked to Vater Los Angeles 5A- Nylon

Stefanos

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2002, 05:47 AM »
I like a nylon tip because I think you get a more defined sound from your timekeepers with it. I also like it because it's durable. I had to replace my sticks often just because the wood tip would wear very easily and screw the ride cymbal sound, so I switched to Vater fusion nylon. Great stick with a round nylon tip.

Offline Louis Russell

• Honorary VIP
  • Will Drum for BBQ
    • Retired Pilot Examiner
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2002, 06:22 AM »
Nylons last longer.  When I bought sticks for 30 cents a pair I used them, but at today's prices !!!!!!

The cost of drumsticks is a very small percentage of the overall cost of my playing.  I use nylon when I want the cutting sound they provide, and wood when I want that sound.

You can't tell the difference on the drums, just the cymbals......

I think I can tell the difference in the rebound but it may be all in my head.
No one will believe it's the "Blues" if you wear a suit, 'less you happen to be an old person, and you slept in it last night!

djarrett

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2002, 06:56 AM »
OK, No one here has really explained the difference to the original post.
Nylon: A plastic (or nylon) tip heat glued to the end of the drumstick. Replaces the wood tip. Can be known to split or prone to fly off during performances (just a general nature of the beast).
Many folks swear by nylon tips. Some say that there is more durability and that the ends do not become soft like wood tips after repeated use.
The general characteristic of the nylon tip is that it is brighter than wood. Most specifically on cymbals. This helps some folks with cutting through amplified music.
Wood: Just a good ole wood tip lathed on the end of the drums stick. Usually believed to be more natural. Some believe that there is something that does not feel correct about nylon due to the fact that there are two pieces that make of the stick verses a wood tip that is part of the whole of the stick. Wood tends to be warmer in general character than nylon.
I used nylon for years and then 2 years ago switched and have been happier since.
This really comes down to personal taste or in some cases ... having the right tool for the job.
Don't let folks sway you one way or the other ... as this is personal taste. You make your own decision based on trying both.
DJ

Offline Carlos Benson

• Bronze Member
  • I'm new to the Drummer Cafe!
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2002, 08:59 AM »
Alotta wood, alittle nylon, ya gotchyaself a nice stew. I like nylon when I'm recording funk stuff for bell response, just a personal thang, but then it's wood the rest of the time.  :D

mrdrums

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2002, 11:56 AM »
Never lost a nylon tip stick in 30 years of playing. Tips don't crack or fly off these days.  The choice is personal.

Offline Sean Welch

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2002, 12:25 PM »
I have this pair of Zildjian Hickory Super 5Bs (they were a gift!) that are wood - but it appears that the wood tip is glued-on, like a nylon tip!  ???

What's up with that?  Anyone else have a pair or know about this?

Be like your ancestors or be different. It doesn't matter.

Offline Mark Schlipper

• Cafe VIP
  • drum + hand
    • chock full o' creamy goodness
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2002, 01:12 PM »
Never lost a nylon tip stick in 30 years of playing. Tips don't crack or fly off these days.  The choice is personal.

actually they do, maybe rarely, but not never.  promark  has a life time warranty on thier nylon tips if im not mistaken.
Making bad art.  Saying stupid things.  Implimenting my master plan to be forgotten when I'm gone and forgettable while I'm here.

The Luna Moth
me
Perish the Island

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram