Topic: drum sticks (nylon or wood tips)  (Read 12172 times)

Offline timmin

• Cafe VIP
  • The Timminator
    • Tim McCain
Re:drum sticks (nylon or wood tips)
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2002, 01:59 PM »
I have been using Promark "747N Rock" with the nylon tips exclusively for a few years now. I bought a batch from our local Mars Music store about a year ago and had the tips fly off of quite a few of them. This was the first time I had ever had a problem with Promark tips. I almost put a bass players eye out one night. If a tip comes loose and gets a good "tiddly-wink" launch off of a cymbal, they can have quite a velocity.

I took them ALL back and got my money back. I then went to the local "mom and pop" store that I usually use and bought Promarks and have had no problem since.

I suspect that Mars may be like Wal Mart. Many times when you buy a "name brand" at Wal Mart the manufacturer has made products for their Wal Mart contract to less rigid specs so they can be sold cheaper than anywhere else. This is just my suspicion though.

Timmin

"It's always fun until someone gets an eye put out"
~Mama~

mrdrums

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2002, 03:28 PM »
I only speak the truth and from my experience.  I'm also a professional, not an animal. I'm a musican and a band leader who has paid my sidemen millions of dollars in salaries over my career.  I don't care what you play?  Buy what you want, a drum stick is a drum stick, as is a drum.  It's what you create that's important.

Offline Mark Schlipper

• Cafe VIP
  • drum + hand
    • chock full o' creamy goodness
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2002, 04:30 PM »
Buy what you want, a drum stick is a drum stick, as is a drum.  It's what you create that's important.

amen!
Making bad art.  Saying stupid things.  Implimenting my master plan to be forgotten when I'm gone and forgettable while I'm here.

The Luna Moth
me
Perish the Island

Offline Louis Russell

• Honorary VIP
  • Will Drum for BBQ
    • Retired Pilot Examiner
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2002, 04:44 PM »
Never lost a nylon tip stick in 30 years of playing. Tips don't crack or fly off these days.  The choice is personal.

I have never lost a nylon tip myself and have played them ALMOST for 30 years.  Pro-mark started making them in 1973 if I remember correctly, but then again I am so old I could be wrong.
No one will believe it's the "Blues" if you wear a suit, 'less you happen to be an old person, and you slept in it last night!

mrdrums

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2002, 05:29 PM »
Herb Brochstein changed the quality of drumsticks. Pro-Mark.  He's a great guy and a personal friend of mine.........You are a knowledgable person......  Let these kids buy wood if they want to.  The questions here are immature. Unfortunately the youth is totally blind. Learn how to play first.  Then decide what model stick you want to use.  Bravo to you, nice to know someone in this site has some knowledge.  They think sticks are magic and will make a difference.  Wake up kids!  Try woodsheding for years.

Offline Mark Schlipper

• Cafe VIP
  • drum + hand
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2002, 07:36 PM »
(note to bart and moderators:  i thought about keeping this i.m. but decided that since it was about all of us, to keep it on the post)

Herb Brochstein changed the quality of drumsticks. Pro-Mark.  He's a great guy and a personal friend of mine.........You are a knowledgable person......  Let these kids buy wood if they want to.  The questions here are immature. Unfortunately the youth is totally blind. Learn how to play first.  Then decide what model stick you want to use.  Bravo to you, nice to know someone in this site has some knowledge.  They think sticks are magic and will make a difference.  Wake up kids!  Try woodsheding for years.

whoa there ...  you yourself said "Buy what you want, a drum stick is a drum stick, as is a drum.  It's what you create that's important."  and now youre flipping people crap for doing just that?

the questions here are immature? well yeah, some are.  some people here, no matter what thier age, are new to drumming, and therefor have newbie questions.  nothing wrong with that.  we cant all magically be 30 years experienced overnight.

youth is totally blind? get off your ageist high horse.  ive met players who are under 20 and only been at it for less than a year that might not be the most technically gifted, but have an understanding of the 'art' that many older, and more experienced players still lack.  youth is young.  thats it.  doesnt mean anything.

nice to know someone on this site has some knowledge?  give the rest of the population here a little credit.  there are plenty here who know a great deal, and plenty here who admittedly dont and are here to learn.  thats kinda the point about this whole thing.  to share, learn, and hang out.

nobody said sticks are magic.  and they do make a difference.  play a vater night stick then play a 7A.   same thing? well ... no.  the right stick, simple as it is, can make a difference not only in sound but preformance.  i cant play worth a @$%# with sticks bigger than 5's.  

youve been here a short while, made some valid points, dropped some names, done some heavy promoting of your "worlds greatest drummer" site, and in seemingly half your posts managed to talk smack about everyone that isnt you.  you seem to have a fair chunk of knowledge, share it, dont flaunt it.

i dont know it all.  never claimed to.  im not the best drummer out there.  never claimed to be.  but i have some knowledge, some experience, some talent, and a love for the art of music.  id like to think that to many degrees that describes us all.

oh yeah, in case you missed my earlier post in the string, i play wood tip because i like the sound better.  i can hear the difference, and can sacrifice the $6 every few months for it.
Making bad art.  Saying stupid things.  Implimenting my master plan to be forgotten when I'm gone and forgettable while I'm here.

The Luna Moth
me
Perish the Island

Offline timmin

• Cafe VIP
  • The Timminator
    • Tim McCain
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2002, 09:08 AM »
Mrdrums,

I've seen you talk down to others in most every post you have made in your short time here. Now, the first time someone has responded to you about your arrogance, you are going to leave with your feelings hurt? You shouldn't dish out anything you can't take yourself.

Your creditials are very impressive. I have no doubt that you are a great drummer. You should put the drum books away and study "people skills" for a while maybe.

There is a fine line between confidence and insecurity when it comes to ego. Only you know which truly applies in your case.

Keep coming back. We can all get along. A little tact can go a long way in sharing your expertise. Take Felix, for example, he has a way of telling us when we are being stupid without the belittling air that seems to comes out in your posts.

My mama always told me, "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."

Sincerely, Timmin
Timmin

"It's always fun until someone gets an eye put out"
~Mama~

Offline Mark Schlipper

• Cafe VIP
  • drum + hand
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2002, 09:37 AM »
i had a longer post here, but decided the majority of it was unecessary in the public forum.  so let me sum up.

mrdrums.  my post was an attempt (however misguided) at a public defense of what i took to be public insult.  

The Luna Moth
me
Perish the Island

Misenko

« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2002, 10:46 AM »
Wood is the best, obviously! ::)

I used to play Nylon tips and then just decided to go to wood totaly, I mean, no point in keeping a pair of sticks around that you don't really want to play huh?

Misenko.

Offline Louis Russell

• Honorary VIP
  • Will Drum for BBQ
    • Retired Pilot Examiner
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2002, 11:44 AM »
Climb down off that high horse and join the group.  This is a place where we can kick back and enjoy drum talk.  No one talks about how many years they have been playing or their accomplishments.  Remember back when you were growing up and the old folks would say something like "I remember way back in.........." and your eyes would roll back in your head?  The same thing happens here.  There are lots of kids who could care less about the good old days.  But they are not the wasted youth as some would think-rather they are the future and our job is to influence them with positive ideas and words.  Please take some advice from someone who has been around the world several times, been to 4 world fairs and even an occasional tractor chasing and goat roping, drumming, like almost everything in life, must be fun to make it really and totally worthwhile.
No one will believe it's the "Blues" if you wear a suit, 'less you happen to be an old person, and you slept in it last night!

Offline James Walker

• Cafe VIP
    • malletjazz
    • www.malletjazz.com
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2002, 11:44 AM »
(I always seem to get into big trouble whenever I join a thread late, but here goes...)

Wow...a four-page thread on "wood vs. nylon tips"?  Am I missing something?  (Yes, I see that some of the thread is a tangential discussion...)

Drum sticks are what, six bucks a pair?  If you want to find out if you like nylon-tipped sticks, buy a pair, and try 'em out.

(IMHO, FWIW, etc.)
"I played with Holdsworth, Fripp, and Belew...I wish we drummers could play that differently. Drummers are starting to homogenize into the same guy, which frightens me." - Bill Bruford

Offline Louis Russell

• Honorary VIP
  • Will Drum for BBQ
    • Retired Pilot Examiner
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2002, 11:59 AM »

Drum sticks are what, six bucks a pair?  
(IMHO, FWIW, etc.)

Jeez James, change stores to where you can get  the ESGGP.  

ps.  thats the extra special good guy price.

Offline Mark Schlipper

• Cafe VIP
  • drum + hand
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2002, 12:03 PM »
my local guitar center guy recently hooked me up with 6 pair of guitar center 7A's (vater seconds) for 12$ ... quite the deal i thought :)  and while id like to support my local mom & pop, none of them carry vater.

The Luna Moth
me
Perish the Island

Offline James Walker

• Cafe VIP
    • malletjazz
    • www.malletjazz.com
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2002, 12:06 PM »

Drum sticks are what, six bucks a pair?  
(IMHO, FWIW, etc.)

Jeez James, change stores to where you can get  the ESGGP.  

ps.  thats the extra special good guy price.

I'll look into it.  ;)

FWIW, I just glanced thru the Steve Weiss catalog to get an estimate on prices for sticks...for the sake of discussion (for those watching this thread who haven't read my posts elsewhere on the Cafe), I'm primarily a vibes/marimba player, and it has been ages since I've had to buy snare drum or drum set sticks.
"I played with Holdsworth, Fripp, and Belew...I wish we drummers could play that differently. Drummers are starting to homogenize into the same guy, which frightens me." - Bill Bruford

Offline Louis Russell

• Honorary VIP
  • Will Drum for BBQ
    • Retired Pilot Examiner
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2002, 12:25 PM »

I'm primarily a vibes/marimba player

I knew that James but could not resist the chance to throw an acronym back at you.   ;D

Ratamatatt

« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2002, 12:48 PM »
Well, Pro Mark may have invented the nylon tip.  And the founder may be a great guy.  But, for me, playing with Pro Mark sticks feels like hitting a tree with an axe handle.  All shock, no feel.  Dispite the poor quality control, I far prefer the feel of Regal Tips.  I love the balance of Regals - weighted toward the grip instead of the tip, and the varnish (or whatever they're coated with) makes Regals much easier for me to grip.  My hands are generally dry and bare wood is impossible for me to keep hold of, and only Regals have that thick clear tacky varnish on them.

As for wood or nylon tips, doesn't it depends on what you want your cymbals to sound like.  e.g. if I use wood tips in a big band my ride cymbal is inaudible.  But, if I use a 5B nylon tip (what I like for big band) in a quartet, I probably won't be asked back.

Ratamatatt

bingbing

« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2002, 10:16 PM »
I like-a da wood.

You like-a da wood? :)

I like-a da youth.

You like-a da youth?  :D

I like-a da dictionary substantiated non-sensical diatribe.

You like-a da dictionary substantiated non-sensical diatribe?  ???

98mmonaghan

« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2002, 09:23 AM »
For me it has to be nylon tips.  I really like the enhanced stick definition over wooden tips.  The annoying thing about wooden tips is that the tips can get damaged too easily, giving for an inconsistentsound.

It's Vic Firth 7BN's for me.

dissonance

« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2002, 09:22 PM »
Mrdrums: I take great offense to you infering that the youth of today is stupid.  Do you really think that "Jay walking" is representative of the youth --- you don't think that the show is able to edit out all the people that could answer the questions right???

I find it impossibe to believe you could base a significant amount of your argument against the youth on a comedy segment from the 'Tonight Show'.  To me it seems you have a very nieve and prejudicial view of the youth.  

bingbing

« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2002, 11:34 PM »
One of the wonderful things about the "youth", who want it "here and now", is that they often achieve it "here and now"....making us older folks who took ten years to figure something out look a bit slow.  They call it progress.  

Experience is something you have right after you need it.   You certainly can't blame young people for not having experience......they haven't had time to get it....and when they do, it won't be your experience.  They call it phenomenology.

I've had the opportunity to see many of the great drummers and percussionists in master classes.   The overwhelming majority of them were so incredibly humble, so thankful for their current situation, and so kind....even when answering so-called "immature" questions.   They also managed to communicate ideas well.  

I apologize if this is too tangential.....I still like a da wood :D, but with the improv stuff I do for modern dance classes, nothing is taboo.

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram