• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

drum sticks (nylon or wood tips)

Started by TAMA, July 10, 2002, 01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TAMA

Mark Schlipper

id agree with peter 90% of the time.  but there have been moments where i liked a nylon so i keep a pair around.  mostly i use 7A's (vater manhatten) and sometimes go to fusions for a heavier stick.  there have been times where ill pull some dub grooves out and want more stick tip definition than wood tips can give me (for good bouncy flams and such).  of course that has a much to do with my ride as anything else.  the bell on it tends to be a bit soft compared to most.

QuadGod083

I quit using nylon when I realized how quickly the tips started cracking and breaking off...especially on marching snare drum.
Of couse, nylon on a marching is a really stupid idea 'cause the heads are cranked so tight it really doesn't matter in feel or articulation.

Bart Elliott

I've never been a fan of nylon tipped sticks. Years ago I made a point to keep a pair around for specialty types of things ... but not anymore.

It's wood all the way for me. Nylon just sounds fake to my ears ... and over the top when it comes to using them on the ride cymbal or hihats.

Wood ... it does the music good.  ;D

MVanDoren1

Jeff

I use wood, sounds and feels better.

MVanDoren1: Some drumsticks have tips made of nylon, instead of wood.

felix

Aircraft aluminum or bananas all the way for me

Carn

felix, no construction hammers? good for the biceps :D

BAnimalG

MVanDoren1

Quote from: Jeff on July 10, 2002, 11:53 PM
I use wood, sounds and feels better.

MVanDoren1: Some drumsticks have tips made of nylon, instead of wood.

Jeff- Sorry, though I don't think I can spell it I was jusst being "facetious"...what do you know- those dictionaries do come in handy :D

Mark Schlipper

alright ... yall are making me self conscious about my occasional use of a nylon tip.  i dont particularly like nylon.  but my main ride is an old 22" dixon dynasonic.  i love it, sounds great on most everything i do.  but the bell is a little weak.  usually i dont care, i dont do a lot of bell playing.  but some times i like to throw a little "dinga-da-ding-ding" in there and my normal skinny little sticks with thier little round beady heads dont bring it out at higher volumes.  in improv situations i just live with it.  but if its written into my part, i may use the nylon.

i feel guilty now :(

wood is better

BAnimalG

huh huh huh huh.... you guys said wood.... huh huh

Portnoyisgod

despite what all these people say lol, i actually prefer the nylons *sigh*

PiG

marker

I used to be a diehard wood tip fan until a lack of wood tip sticks at the store forced me to try a pair of nylon tip sticks.  

I was pleasantly surprised.   I really liked the definition and clarity the nylon tips gave me.   Also, they don't start splintering away like wood ones, so the sound stays the same until the stick dies.

So,  I say give them both a good try.  Personally, I like nylon.

Dark Drummer

wood.....my fave stix are ziljan dips  7A

Jazzman

I like wood myself, have used nylon tips in the studio sometimes to cut through a mix.  Gadd, Weckle are my fav's.  Really like a set called "studio"  very light weight, can really move on the skins with them, for Jazz.

Jazzman 8)

Diego

I'm actually a nylon man myself....but there is a time and place for every stick!!!

Skinbasher

Wood, though i tried a chicken in each hand the other day, sounded pretty good, not only do you get the sound of the drum, you get the sound of the chicken too!!  
Chicken 5A's by Vic Firth, i could be on to something here!!