Topic: Am I too old?  (Read 1284 times)

BMORFREDDY

Am I too old?
« on: April 12, 2004, 07:58 AM »
I am 42 years old and I want to learn to play the drums on areal note.When I was younger I had a set of my own but I didn't get any lessons just played by ear .I can't read music so I was wondering do all drummers read music? and do I need to learn to read music  or what? I do not know where to start or what to buy so any help would be great
       Thanks .....BMOREFREDDY

Offline Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
  • Founder & owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
Am I too old?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 08:22 AM »
You are never too old to learn to play the drums. Your progress is directly connect with the amount of time & energy you give to the art.

As far as reading music, I think it's a HUGE benefit because there are a wealth of education materials on the market for you to use ... and you'll get so much more from them if you can read. There's also instructional videos and DVDs, as well as play-along materials ... some with books.

I would recommend that you take a few lessons from a local professional teacher if possible. This will help to make sure that you are starting out with the correct playing techniques. From there, you can continue with lessons or begin teaching yourself with the various resources I've already mentioned.

If a teacher is not available in your area, I'd like to mention that I offer custom-made correspondence video lessons.

Here on the Drummer Cafe and all around the Internet, there are a lot of free materials for you to use to help you get started.

Welcome back to the drumming community!

BMORFREDDY

Thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 12:45 PM »
Hey Bart I just wanted to say thanks and I am going to try and look for a pro such as yourself.I may take you up on you online offer
if I have no luck with finding one.What direction should I be looking for a new set of drumms. I have been looking around online and I saw soome nice ones but at a very wide price range.I am going to stick with it and become good oneday so I don't mind spending some money. Any info would be great and thanks again for your help...............Freddy.

Offline Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
  • Founder & owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
Good drumkits
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 09:00 AM »
Check out my  http://community.drummercafe.com/index.php?action=loadpage&content=reviews.html]Gear Reviews  ... you'll find quite a few suggestions for good drumkits ... all for under $1000.

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on Google+ Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram
Click HERE to LEARN MORE!