Topic: What do you wear on Stage?  (Read 9198 times)

drumtrav

What do you wear on Stage?
« on: March 18, 2002, 10:48 AM »
What do you guys like to wear when in stage?  

Shoes/Pants/Shirt/Sweat bands/underwear:)/socks

Do you use a fan(s) when you play.

I prefer to lose comftable shorts, tennis shoes that do not come over the ankles, either my Bret Favre jersey or my Samuri Shirt, both are XXXL (i'm a big boy!!).  I just added a small clamp on fan that really cool.

Dwarf

Re: What do you wear on Stage?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2002, 01:34 PM »
Drumtrav - do you really lose your shorts on stage?  Really scary :)

--
Rob

Offline Peter Jeffery

• Cafe VIP
    • MySpace
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2002, 01:51 PM »
Nike Aqua Socks.  
Peter Jeffery
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

ant_eh

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2002, 05:43 PM »
wife beater that is a company called third rail with flames
shorts or jeans depending on the venue
slippers the most comfy shoes i have ever worn will never go back to shoes
jeans tucked into my socks so they don't get caught on the bass drum pedal
no fan just a towel and a bottle of water
boxers
plain white sock.......

Offline Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
  • Founder & owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2002, 05:56 PM »
Relaxed feeling clothes; cotton or something the breathes well. I don't want my clothes to be too loose, and nothing that would restrict movement in any way.
Capezio split-sole Jazz Dance shoes. Towel and plenty of water (preferably Spring Water). I'll use a fan for large venues ... like a coliseum or where there is going to be a prolonged time under the stage lights.

Misenko

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2002, 11:23 PM »
Something loose, which allows me to breath cause it gets very hot! I always wear black on stage...don't know why, I just love the colour black, lets me blend into the backround and it goes with my kit! ;D

Just_Ian

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2002, 02:04 AM »
puma track pants, black tee-shirt, black sneakers..  

Commander

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2002, 02:29 AM »
I like to wear slow-worm skin underpants and a tiara.

felix

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2002, 02:43 AM »
funny Hollywood.

I wear combat boots, baggy pants and short sleeve shirts with a # on it...although sometimes I wear tight pants and sneakers and a long sleeve shirt.  I remember one time I wore shorts and another time long johns and another time both at the same time (it was winter)....I've worn wrestling shoes, track shoes, barn boots, cowboy boots, patent leather penny loafers...never dressed up like a girl though...leather pants, spandex...vests, silk shirts, oxfords, heck, lots of times no shirt.  I've even worn groupies while playing...now that is tough....they never stain though  ;D

I never wore a tuxedo on a gig and I'm PROUD OF IT.

Azrael63

Re:What do you wear on Stage?
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2002, 09:13 PM »
Usually whatever t-shirt I put on that morning (I have, like, 10 or so identical plain black tees), cut-off Army BDU pants (ugly, but way comfy) and combat boots.  Can you guess what kind of music I play?  ;)
Az

BAnimalG

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2002, 06:50 AM »
Really comfortable and loose clothing that won't get ruined by excessive amounts of sweat!  I think I lost 5 pounds on Friday night!!  LOL!!

MVanDoren1

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2002, 08:01 AM »
Big baggy shirts XXXL (me big too) , relaxed fit but nit baggy pants shorts sweats(so long as I'm not under hot lights), as for the feet its either comfortable tennies or dress shoes (or since my left foot started tensing up at church yesterday-no shoes at all).  Just whatever I know I'm going to feel most relaxed in keeping in mind that in some venues (Churches especially) you might be kind of expected to wear or not wear certain styles of clothes- certainly I can find something comfy however.

Theo

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2002, 09:07 AM »
I can't believe you guys can play in COMBAT BOOTS. Man, I'd feel like I had bricks strapped to my feet. I usually use Chuck Taylors cause they are very light and unrestrictive. I've been known to play barefoot a time or two. Like Felix, I've tried a little of everything. I used to like to wear disguises. I have played as Santa Claus and Jesus (Fake hair and beard) and have worn my pajamas (the bar was having a toga party).
No fan though, I like to get hot and sweaty. I'm not sure why, but I feel more comfortable...

BAnimalG

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2002, 09:21 AM »
I'm gonna have to go with Theo on that one....How in the hell do you play kit with COMBAT BOOTS on?  Holy crap man!!  I feel like I'm wearing lead boots when I have my Nike Airs on!  Not dogging you, but you must have spectacular leg muscle strength and definition to be able to pull that off!

Passeist

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2002, 09:33 AM »
If you haven't played really loud music in an amateur setting, it might be difficult to understand why someone would wear combat boots.  In such a setting, it is necessary to hit the bass drum as hard as you can if you want it to be heard at all.  Doing that all night with light-weight sneakers is actually more exhausting than doing it with good heavy boots on.

Offline Peter Jeffery

• Cafe VIP
    • MySpace
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2002, 10:11 AM »
I might have mentioned this before -I wear Nike Aqua Socks.   They're extremely lightweight and flexible.   The sole has just the right grip...not too much; not too little.  If anyone tries them, just one word of advice....work them in before using them on-stage!!!   I purchased them the day I started some festival dates and my heels bled for a week!!    >:(    I haven't worn anything else since (on my feet, that is!!)    8)
Peter Jeffery
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

BAnimalG

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2002, 01:54 PM »
I think I'm going to try that our Peter!  Thanks!

marker

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2002, 05:53 PM »
I usually wear what I would wear on the street.  Long sleeves are a no-no.  I wear cheap, laceless canvas and rubber "deck shoes" which give me some pedal feel but are tough enough for the street.  I keep and extra pair with my kit, in case I forget and show up in clodhoppers.

I don't have a fan, although there have been a few times I wished I did.

I do find, though, that if I'm running a little hot, I perform better.  Although I'm a mammal, some extra warmth seems to increase my performance level.

I usually drink sports drinks, or flavored teas, when I'm playing.  Pop will do in a pinch.  Whatever it is, I do better if it has some sugar in it.  Water gives no energy boost.

ayesa

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2002, 09:58 PM »
i'm a girl! teen one! so, i just wear sleeveless for ups and shorts, sometimes pants or three-forths. as long as i'm comfortable, that matters most.

Rocker

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2002, 10:29 AM »
I wear a g-string with Kiss make up!!

Just kidding!!!!! Usually its a loose fitting, sleevless t-shirt, shorts or jeans depending on venue indoor, outdoor weather conditions, and wrestling shoes. I too play better and become more motivated when sweating like a barbarian!! So water, water, water.

BAnimalG

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2002, 01:26 PM »
Time to have some real fun with this one.  lol!  I can't believe nobody has said something brilliant like "PLAY NAKED!!"  LOL!!  Just don't use the wrong stick!  ouch!   :o  My sports drink comes in a longneck bottle and usually has "Bud Light" written on the outside of it.  When I dry out, I order a pitcher of ice water, drink half of it and dump the rest over my head.   ;D

Azrael63

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2002, 03:13 AM »
Just an additional note on combat boots... when broken in, they're like extremely high-topped sneakers, and still provide extra ankle support for someone who might have blown his ankle out jumping out of helicopters!

Misenko

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2002, 03:56 AM »
Yeah, I jump out of helicopters all the time! Totaly screws my ankles though.....

;D

Misenko.

sidereal

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2002, 03:20 PM »
My band just had a wonderful little fight about this very subject last night actually. One of the major clubs we play at regularly just changed ownership and the new owners are putting together a list of the regular bands they want to keep in rotation. Apparently we're on the bubble.

The scene is intensely competitive with band members wearing outrageous clothes and putting a high priority on image and looking flashy. I suggested we put more attention toward dressing up or else we could be out of rotation. Most of the band agreed, but the bass player went on a total rant, saying that being flashy wasn't his thing. He then surprised everyone by saying "and if you guys can't deal with that, maybe I'm not the bass player for this band." Then it just turned into a big row and he walked away. Then we had to hit the stage and play. How awkward. No eye contact, no smiles. Bad show. But last night was just a lame little club we play. Tonight's the big night.

Thing is, if your competition is dressing up and getting attention, and the clubs like that, you'd better be doing the same thing or you'll be out of the rotation in no time. Image matters if you're a party band. So I'm a bit pissed off at the bass player right now. :) The gig is tonight. We'll see what happens.

BAnimalG

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2002, 06:51 AM »
Jim,

Good luck man!  I hope everything worked out okay!  I've been in that same sort of tense situation with a formaer band of mine, and I do stress the word "FORMER!"  

Misenko

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2002, 10:33 AM »
I think I'm heading for a similar falling out with our bassist, he is strting to get on my nerves...and also he seems to be very de-motivated recently, and he's just getting on everyones nerves...its worriying cause he is a great bassist.... :-\

Misenko.

sidereal

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2002, 10:48 AM »
I've had the pleasure of working with some of the top bassists in the scene. Trouble is, so many of them are so goddamned moody. I don't know what's up with that. But I have a theory: I think bassists think of themselves as part of a team with the drummer, and that together, the bassist and drummer should represent themselves as outsiders and isolate themselves a bit from the rest of the band. So there's this tribalist, passive mentality that emerges. But the thing is, I'm a very proactive person and I'm outspoken, not passive, so I don't think bassists like that since it goes against the profile I just mentioned. Maybe they think that because of that, I'm not the mellow dude they wanted me to be.

Or maybe I'm talking out of my ass. Either way, sorry to take over the thread with my problems. :)

(incidentally, the gig pretty much sucked. so I'm not in the best of spirits right now.)

BAnimalG

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2002, 10:52 AM »
Yeah, what is it with bassists like that?!  You finally find a good one, and he's got the moodiness of a pregnant woman in her third trimester!  >:(

Misenko

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2002, 03:47 PM »
Have you guys met Jake (our bassist)???? It sounds like you know him!  ;)

He is moody, and bitchy, and I think what you said about how bassists see themselves is absolutly right. I hope we can sort things out though and just get on with the job in hand ie. making good music!

Although...I do see problems with that when i have to tell him he is not gonna be sharing a flat with me next year..... :-\

Misenko.

BAnimalG

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2002, 06:38 AM »
<ignorant Yank comment> "A flat what?"   ;)

Misenko

« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2002, 12:00 PM »
<learned Scot comment> A flat is an apartment. Sorry for any confusion. ;)

Misenko.

BAnimalG

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2002, 12:37 PM »
LOL!!   ;D  ;D I was just kidding ya a little there Misenko!  But thanks!

Dark Drummer

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2002, 08:27 PM »
lil late i know

but i were a tight fiting black shirt and kahki pants and a pair of vans..light weight and extremely comfortable.....but ive also play witha  pair of baggy shorts shagged halfway down my butt shoes and no shirt

toddnuss

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2002, 11:21 PM »
2 cut off Tshirt (I sweat)- gym shorts- and an interesting hat that might help you score with some backstage betty ;)

bambambuddha

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2002, 10:55 PM »
Well, i work in the dance clubs, so when I play I am the only live musician and playing along the DJ, so I am the center of attention while playing, so usually I have to dress kinda funky.  usually wear a cut off shirt of some sort, a bandana and usually either jeans or black club pants.

Shocker

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2002, 11:24 PM »
When the temperature isn't  boiling, I wear my black leather pants with a chain belt.  Usually with a black or white cutoff shirt,  or a tight shirt with the sleeves cuffed.  I also put a 6" blonde streak into my black hair, so I'll color it green or blue before a show.  
I had combat boots, but I've recently worn out my 4th pair.  
Also, my newest edition to my stage attire is a pair of Schwinn bicycle gloves.  They don't restrict and they're cut off at the fingers.  They don't really help, but they look so @$%# smooth!

But don't get me wrong...even though I like to go all out, playing good drums is still priority #1.

paul

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2002, 03:04 PM »
Given a choice, I prefer loose jeans, a Hawaiian shirt, and a pair of mocassins or other lightweight, thin-soled shoes.  I like Hawaiian shirts for the extra bit of color, and will occasionally try to match up with my drums (either turquoise or pink sparkle).

I'll also wear a suit or tuxedo at times, with thin-soled dress shoes, if the gig calls for it.  Doesn't bother me either way.

I do believe in dressing up at least a little to go on stage.  I feel that the band's appearance is part of the entertainment, and dressing up helps to separate us from the audience.  

8 different plain black t-shirts?  Not for me, but whatever floats your boat, I guess.

littledrummergirl

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2002, 10:50 PM »
i've seen Shocker and his band..... They have alot of talent and great stage presence. They always look great!

Spikedrumeister

« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2002, 09:58 AM »
 :D i play in xxxxxxxxl shorts, smallishtr-0shirt, have sweat bands round both wrists, boxers, easier to play ion, nice high white sox if i want. spike my hair, famous t-shirtrs are good, converse trainers, not the sneaker lookin things but theones with the staRS on both sides

johno
spike

Andrew

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2002, 04:39 PM »
I've been wearing tight black tank tops a lot lately, but we've also been playing a lot of outdoor shows. Under that, khaki shorts or jeans, and sneakers, usually Skechers. Nothing on my wrists or hands, but I do get to wear my enormous Koss headphones on stage.

Offline Mark Schlipper

• Cafe VIP
  • drum + hand
    • chock full o' creamy goodness
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2002, 08:17 PM »
since i started that other string i feel obligated to post here.

i wear what i put on that morning ... unless i need to change because i have coffee all down my front or something.  i really only ever wear plain black t-shirts and a revolving cast of pants, black & slate carhartts, blue jeans, olive & khaki gap cargos.  im a bit of a shoe whore.  love nice casual/dress black leather shoes.  so its either my aldo's, one of acouple pair of ken coles, fluevogs.  if im wearing my birkenstocks that day, i play barefoot, otherwise i play in the shoes im in.

i dont ever dress for a show.  i have no gig wear.  i dont particularly understand it either (hence the other string).  maybe thats just because ive never really been a band that had a "theme" or anything.  
Making bad art.  Saying stupid things.  Implimenting my master plan to be forgotten when I'm gone and forgettable while I'm here.

The Luna Moth
me
Perish the Island

Ace

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2002, 07:27 AM »
 8)
Hmmmmmmm what do i wear?, what do i wear?
Baggy jeans(major pain in the ass sometimes but really comfy when not:)) Trainers and t-shirt but sometimes play topless(ooooo  kinky ???)

Diego

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2002, 03:04 PM »
Jeans and a T-Shirt!!

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram