Topic: Whats a good way to develop double bass skills?  (Read 670 times)

corona416

Whats a good way to develop double bass skills?
« on: July 21, 2004, 09:58 AM »
Bought a double bass pedal, and picking it up slowly but surely. I was just wondering what kind of techniques that you guys have used to develop your double bass skills? Books or certain routines, or certain songs  ???

Lecifer

Re:Whats a good way to develop double bass skills?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 10:33 AM »
I am currently practicing double strokes on the bass drum to a metronome............. Virgil Donati video, Power Drumming

Floyd42

Whats a good way to develop double bass skills?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 01:58 AM »
I think this topic has been discussed many time in the café (in the Technique section). Do a little search, you'll find some answer.

As far as I know, to develop double bass skills, I just apply everything I do with my hands to my feet... I do not play double bass, but I do this to improve my left foot playing the hi-hat.

pissshivers

Re:Whats a good way to develop double bass skills?
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 12:14 PM »
what I was taught was : using a metronome, find a comfortable speed, where you can keep going without losing time.  Keep playing it for about 5-6 inutes or until your legs start to burn.  Once your legs start to burn, see if you can continue for another minute or two.  Take a break and continue again.  Each day trying to gradually inrease your beats adding in high hats, snare, etc.  Was always taught technique before speed.  Don't know what genre of music that you listen to/play, but anything from the ..And Justice For All album would be great pratice.

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram