• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Who looks the coolest...

Started by Steve Phelps (Shoeless), June 02, 2004, 09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

incdrummer

Yes Bonham looked cool but Maloney the opposite shes HOT

DougB

Anyone remember the drummer for Pat Benatar back in the 80's?  He had that wacky set of drums with Japanese writing all over them.  The guy was more white-skinned and red-haired than me!

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: DougB on June 07, 2004, 06:23 AM
Anyone remember the drummer for Pat Benatar back in the 80's?  He had that wacky set of drums with Japanese writing all over them.  The guy was more white-skinned and red-haired than me!

Myron Grombacher - great drummer and an AMAZING showman!

JeepnDrummer

Quote from: shoeless on June 03, 2004, 05:41 AM
I think another honorable mention should go to the actor Tom Everett Scott who played the drummer in the Wonders in That Thing You Do. Not only did he learn to convincingly look like he could play, but he learned to look cool doing it.

Billy Ward was hired to accomplish this.  Here's a quote from an interview:
QuoteQ) Can you tell the readers what exactly you did in the TOM HANKS movie "That Thing You Do!"?

BW) First I got a call to teach Tom Everett Scott how to fake drumming for the film. You know, you can't really fake drumming the way you can fake playing the guitar or singing. Everyone can SEE that it's a fake... so I taught Tom how to play! He's honestly the best student I've ever had! He worked so hard! Later, as I continued to teach him, I ended up playing some of the songs and music cues for the film. I played all the jazzy stuff that you see him playing... with Del Paxton for instance. Also I had to play things that I knew I could later teach to him! It was an interesting
challenge. I also played the songs "Hold My Hand, Hold My Heart" and "My World Is Over". When they were shooting the film, I went to LA to be on the set with Tom to continue the lessons and as a consultant for the time period of the music. For example, Tom Hanks wanted the equipment that was used to be the same equipment that bands in the early 60s were using - and I had an involvement in that. It was great fun and very satisfying to know that we got it right (except for one cymbal!)

Billy is such a great person and an awesome drummer......a very down to earth guy.  By the way, he just released an instructional DVD that has received very positive reviews.  While I haven't ordered it yet, I hear it's different in many ways to the usual DVD offerings.  Has anyone here seen it?

DougB

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on June 07, 2004, 06:37 AM
Myron Grombacher - great drummer and an AMAZING showman!

Good thing he decided to be a drummer.  With a name like that he probably wouldn't have made it in acting!   ;)

MuseFan

Mike Portnoy...... definately!  8)

Paul DAngelo

Quote from: DougB on June 03, 2004, 07:55 AM
.....Bill from Rolling Stones.
I hate to be picky, but unless there's another band called the Rolling Stones, their drummer's name would be Charlie regardless of how he looks!

Jon E

....Fred from the Beatles.

Joe

Quote from: Jon E on June 08, 2004, 01:49 PM

That's Bernard, who indeed is a charismatic individual in his own right, what with his improvised melismatic vocal accompaniment.

Paul DAngelo

Quote from: Jon E on June 08, 2004, 01:49 PM
;D ;D ;D

Thanks, I needed that!

Gretschn

I hate to say it, but even with that crazy teased hair Tommy Lee looks like a bad MoFo playing the drums.

random

Quote from: James Walker on June 03, 2004, 09:11 AM
Oops!  I forgot one of my favorites:  Fred Young from the Kentucky Headhunters!
right ON!

i also forgot ?uestlove.

James Walker

Quote from: random on June 08, 2004, 05:26 PMi also forgot ?uestlove.

...who gets mucho extra "cool" points (not that he needs 'em) for his appearance on Chappelle's Show...  :D

James Walker

Quote from: Joe K on June 08, 2004, 01:59 PM
That's Bernard, who indeed is a charismatic individual in his own right, what with his improvised melismatic vocal accompaniment.

I'm confused...I thought Bernard was the guy who secretly did all the drumming for the Beatles?  That's what he said, anyway...  ;)

felix

Wow, Myron makes a comeback here at DC... very cool.

Tommy Aldridge, to see is to believe.  He's always been the king of rock drummers in my book.  Maybe on the edge of cheesy (Tommy Lee is a cheese ball, I hate him anymore)... Tommy Aldridge always backed up the flash with his high powered playing.

That John Blackwell is a hoot to watch also.

DougB

Quote from: themudlark on June 08, 2004, 01:29 PM
I hate to be picky, but unless there's another band called the Rolling Stones, their drummer's name would be Charlie regardless of how he looks!

That deserves a Homer Simpson response:  D'ohhhh!  As me thumps the forehead with the palm of my hand.   :-[

kingnothing

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

I'm sorry. You CANNOT invoke the name of Myron Grombacher (also one of the truly good guys from the 80s pop/rock scene), without also mentioning Loverboy drummer Matt Frennete. I can't think of one without thinking of the other, because they both made the same goofy face I mimicked and carried with me from drum set to marching snare to concert band. If there was a difficult fill to play, I always knew I had that great contorted face in backpocket to make it look like it was even harder than it really was. ;)

JohnD

I always thougth that Vinnie Colaiuta made drumming look like something you could do while reclined in a lawn chair- the guy looks like he is having a great time with no effort. When he goes off its a differnet story, but when he is just locked in a groove he makes it seem so easy