• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Who looks the coolest...

Started by Steve Phelps (Shoeless), June 02, 2004, 09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Phelps (Shoeless)

I think another honorable mention should go to the actor Tom Everett Scott who played the drummer in the Wonders in That Thing You Do. Not only did he learn to convincingly look like he could play, but he learned to look cool doing it.

William Leslie

Hey Joe E. you really look cool, but I'd like to back a few years more and say Gene Krupa was the coolest to me. He always looked like he had everything in hand and never missed a beat. Fast hands, had everyones attention and was the best showman(in my opinion) in his time and still today if he were still with us.Buddy Rich was a close second. Very close.

kolp

First : Tony Thunder Smith  8)
Second : Steve Feronne
third : Sterling Campbell

Louis Russell

Radar from M*A*S*H.  Pretty good drummer too!   ;D

Jon E

Don't get me started on those TV drummers:

Barney Rubble
Richie Cunningham
Chiachi Arcola
Oscar Madison

DougB

I have to say that two of the worst looking drummers are Max from Springsteen and Bill from Rolling Stones.  I can't remember the late night show Max plays on, but he looks like such a dork...

Bun E Carlos RULES!

I forget his name, but I always thought the guy from Triumph was cool.  I also like Chester Thompson and Nigel Manson.

Tony

Quote from: Louis on June 03, 2004, 07:17 AM
Radar from M*A*S*H.  Pretty good drummer too!   ;D

I saw him play with a big band in New3 Orleans back in the late 80's!  What a "Twilight Zone" experience!

Christopher

Quote from: DougB on June 03, 2004, 07:55 AM
I forget his name, but I always thought the guy from Triumph was cool.

Gil Moore.

I always liked Triumph and Gil's gigantic concert tom Tama kits.

They just recently released a DVD of a 1987 concert on  http://www.triumphmusic.com/A%20Night%20Of%20Triumph/A%20Night%20Of%20Triumph.htm]DVD HERE .

James Walker

Airto
Gerry Brown
*Vinnie Colaiuta
Stewart Copeland
Manu Katche
Jim Keltner
Billy Cobham
Dennis Chambers
Roy Haynes
Don Alias
Steve Jordan
Adam Nussbaum

And some who have passed on:
Art Blakey
Buddy Rich
Gene Krupa
"Papa" Jo Jones (style!)
Tony Williams

*Vinnie gets extra points for the story I read in a magazine a while back (told by Steve Vai), of Vinnie in a Zappa session, sight reading through this sick drum part, playing a section one-handed while with the other hand he pushed his glasses up on his nose, and then picked up a piece of sushi from a tray next to the drums, never missing a note in the process.  I'll see if I can track down that magazine article again - it was published a few years ago.

James Walker

Oops!  I forgot one of my favorites:  Fred Young from the Kentucky Headhunters!

Paul DAngelo

Ginger Baker, with his red hair flying (well, back in the day) and fierce expression.   8)

Jay Northrop

Portnoy makes some good faces while playing.And Virgil Donati just always looks cool when playing.When I get really into it I look hideous,I have seen pics.

bilkay

Hey, what about Terry Bozzio.  And Phil Collins in the Gabriel era Genesis, all hunched over with his head down.......

.......think.......Aqualung.......

TamaDrummer

Take a look at the Godsmack video for Straight Out of Line.  Shannon Larkin has got to be the CRAZIEST guy i have ever seen behind a drum kit.
Overall coolest though, HAS to be Mike Portnoy.  He just has this sense of control and smoothness.  Plus all the times he stands up after a crash, to sit back down and do some crazy fill.  or all the faces he makes and cameras!

Dead Trooper

Gregg Bissonette always has the strangest facial expressions...

Tkitna

I'm sticking with my man, Phil Ehart!

Nathan Cartier

My vote goes to Terry Bozzio during the Baby Snakes period, and to Morgan Rose of Sevendust.

And to any and all of the Blue Men.

agogobil

Jack DeJohnnette ... truly one-of-a-kind.  His playing looks so effortless.

dougstiers

Buddy Rich   8) He could carry on a conversation or just tell someone to shut up in the middle of a solo.

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Omar Hakim. Never seen another drummer so fluid and play crazy things with such little strain. I envy his natural ability.