• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Good Videos for Beginners?

Started by guitarizt, July 26, 2002, 12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitarizt

I won a used tama rockster off ebay.  I didn't get it yet, but I need to know the basics about drums.  Like setting them up, tuning them, ect.  I can't play them at all either.  I read the threads about tuning drums but if it was in a video I would feel more confident about what I'm doing.  =)

Is it possible to break the drum if you tighten the tuning thing too much?  Should I just get a regular tuning key or one of those keys that has a meter on it?  

I also need cymbals.  I was thinking about getting paiste alphas used off ebay too.  If you think this is a horrible idea please comment.

Drumlooney

A good video to begin with is Back To Basics by Dave Weckl.

Tony

If you have no previous drum experience (and it sounds like you don't  ;) a great video to start with is "Getting Started on the Drums" featuring Tommy Igoe.  It runs about $25 and includes sections on unpacking, setting up drums and hardware, tuning and gets into beginner playing tips.  I recommend this video to all my students who have little experience and normally get good feedback.

Mark Schlipper

as for setups, tama rockstars and paiste alpha's are fine way to go.  alphas are a wierd step inbetween beginner and pro.  and pretty nice for the price.  as you get comfy on a kit and start to decide what kinda sound you really dig and want then consider replacing (if necessary) but until then, you cant really miss with the stuff youre getting.