• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

who should i listen to

Started by robbb, June 19, 2004, 03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robbb

i drum alot and im always looking for inspiration. I worship danny carey and bonzo but who else pushes the limit.

russelljd

dogxray

Mister Acrolite

nitro101

travis barker. look into the newest blink 182 cd box car racer or the trannsplants. hes the drummer for all of them

Mark Schlipper

Elvin Jones
Art Blakey
The Tea Party
Muse
Theivery Corporation
Tabla Beat Science
Jah Wobble
Zao
Flaming Lips
Magma
Yes
King Crimson
UK
Elbow

I could go on all day :)   Anyone in any genre can be an inspiration, and its impossible to tell who will impress who.

There are threads on here full of "Top 5"s and "Favorites" ... the real benefit of these threads is to see what your peers like that you may not have heard.   Find those threads and take a listen around.  

Between  http://www.allmusic.com]AllMusicGuide  and  http://www.amazon.com]Amazon.com  you have research tools aplenty.   Find a band you like on AMG, look at the related artists.   If they sound of interest, go to Amazon and listen to samples.   If that piques your interest, pick it up somewhere.  

bilkay

If you worship Danny Carey, try these.......

Genesis: Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway- Phil Collins on drums.

King Crimson:  Larks Tongues in Aspic, Red, Discipline, VROOOM (for starters)- Bill Bruford on drums.

Yes:  Fragile, Close to the Edge- Bill Bruford on drums.

Tony

Worship?  That's a pretty strong term.  I think you should listen to everything you can get your hands on.  All styles, genres and types of music.  The more you expose yourself to, the better.

Chris

funkster

Quote from: robbb on June 19, 2004, 03:56 PM
i drum alot and im always looking for inspiration. I worship danny carey and bonzo but who else pushes the limit.

Here's a few which should be required listening for ANY drummer:

Gene Krupa
Buddy Rich
Max Roach
Art Blakey
Philly Joe Jones
Shelly Manne
Joe Morello
Roy Haynes
Elvin Jones
Tony Williams
Jack DeJohnette
David Garibaldi
Mike Clark
Billy Cobham
Lenny White
Steve Gadd
Bernard Purdie
Dennis Chambers

incdrummer

Ian Paice of Deep Purple and Alex Van Halen of Van Halen
Excellent drummers with excellent bands. ;D

JohnD

if you can handle the chaos and all the yelling, check out the Dillinger Escape Plan. You will find it hard to find another drummer playing heavy/crazy music who plays on that level

eavonius

JohnD

Also check out Tony Williams and Billy Cobham - althought I can't really stand Cobham's solo records from the 80s... you are safe with his work with the Mahavishnu Orchestra and his first solo recording (Spectrum). With Tony Williams there was no period to avoid (that I have found yet). I saw Zao mentioned up there - for heavy stuff I would go with Mastodon, Death ( the album Human has the best drumming), Cynic (drummer on Death's Human - his own band), DEP (the band I mentioned above), Origin (the fastest, most over the top death metal drumming I have ever heard), and Burnt By The Sun. Their drummer used to be in a NJ based band called Human Remains. He is extremely fast but never over the top. Probably the most tasteful drumming in the aggresive music realm.

random

Gwar and Catch 22.  good stuff.  thrash and ska, respectively.

Woody

I agree 100% with Tony.  Listen to it all, soak it up like a sponge.

Since you "worship" rock drummers-  heres the Alpha and Omega...

Phil Rudd, Charlie Watts

Bobby Jarzombek-Spastic Ink.(I just got Ink Compatible- Total INSANITY, makes Portnoy sound like a 2/4 guy.)

Dave

JohnD

I cant believe spastic ink was mentioned! I forgot all about them... and watchtower. Those guys are so over the top! I listened sort of as a joke at first, then i found myself listening to their cd every day for a month straight, trying to disect just one little piece... there is also a 2 man group doing a more hip and underground type of think but sometimes the drumming is very spastic ink - they are called Hella. they have some crazy stuff, and some really simple stuff that is supposed to (and does) sound like 80s video game music.