• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

set-up experiment

Started by chefdoug, June 29, 2004, 11:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chefdoug

I have always wanted a remote hi hat, mainly to use for a second hi hat in my set up. But ever since I saw how Bill Bruford was using one as his main, I've been wanting to try a set up like his, it just seemed so logical to have your hats right out in front. Then I saw that our own Bart was doing something like this as well, looked interesting. Lucky for me, my wife hooked me up nice with a new Yamaha remote hi-hat for Father's day, I was shocked. I am still messing around with some odds and ends, I need to find space for my SDP-20. I planned on leaving out my 8" tom, but at the last minute decided to work it in, who knows what will evolve from here. What has resulted is a whole new way of playing that I really like. I can play things this way that would have been impossible to play in a traditional set up, it's just really comfortable and natural feeling for me. I don't have to cross over, my ride is right next to my hats, my toms are really close and low, I can do descending fills to my right or to my left. The best part is, I would never had tried this if not for the wealth of knowledge  I have picked up from all the good folks here at the DC. Here are some pics. sorry for the sub-par quality, I didn't have enough light.

jokerjkny

A1

Looks cool, seems like they're set up like quads are?

Jay Northrop

Its looks weird but sometimes the weirdest looking set-ups are the easiest to play.Experimentation is good,matter of fact a few weeks ago i re-did my monster set.And I can feel a change in my playing from just moving things around.Awsome looking set though man.

DoubleC

I think Bart has a similiar set up.

dc

DrumerFromSysinoid

that set up with the toms on the left is the coolest thing i've ever seen... i REALLY like your kit man

xericx

you have a nice kit sir.

warmodder

It looks really wierd with the hats in the center, but i'm glad it helps your playing. I wouldn't try it since i play lefty and don't have to cross over but if you can make it work for you go for it.

chefdoug

QuotePosted by: DoubleC  Posted on: June 29, 2004, 06:33:41 PM  
I think Bart has a similiar set up.

Yes, I mentioned that in my original post and in part what helped me arrive at this set up. I first saw Bill Bruford doing this and it peaked my interest.

QuotePosted by: ARCHxANGEL  Posted on: June 29, 2004, 05:59:52 PM  
Its looks weird but sometimes the weirdest looking set-ups are the easiest to play.Experimentation is good,matter of fact a few weeks ago i re-did my monster set.And I can feel a change in my playing from just moving things around.Awsome looking set though man

Thanks and yes, it is an incredibly easy set up to play, wish I'd done it before, everything is just so close and I'm right on top of every drum. I can play some really cool grooves now where I am switching between hats and ride, playing 16ths on hats with up beats on ride because they are right next to each other. I am getting super creative with my fills, playing things that just don't seem possible on a conventional set up(for me anyway). My original idea was to have two sets of hats and two rides, one on each side, but this way is less expensive and much less cumbersome.

Paul L

My setup is similar, using a Yamaha remote HH and Tama double-tom mount as the hardware.  Bart gave me the idea and I really love it!  The Tama stand holds HH on one L-rod and snare on the other.  I've done lots of experimenting and this setup works the best for me.

http://drumsandstuff.com/sitebuilder/images/DSCF0065_1_-330x244.jpg

http://drumsandstuff.com/sitebuilder/images/DSCF0066_1_-293x213.jpg

Dead Trooper

It looks pretty sweet. I've gotten into these kind of fills where I'm absolutely thinking of my kit that way. I might give it a shot.

One question: the smaller tom seems like an odd man out to me. Is that a definitive position or are you still experimenting with it? It's placed in a weird place, to my thinking at least.

spikedrummer

Very original and interesting set up. If I had a rack and a remote hi hat, I would try that.

chefdoug

Quote from: Dead Trooper on June 30, 2004, 10:09 PM
It looks pretty sweet. I've gotten into these kind of fills where I'm absolutely thinking of my kit that way. I might give it a shot.

One question: the smaller tom seems like an odd man out to me. Is that a definitive position or are you still experimenting with it? It's placed in a weird place, to my thinking at least.

I was initially going to leave out the 8" tom, so what I had was just a nice line of toms across with the snare in the middle. It went like this...

(hh)
              10"(sd)12"
          14"              16"

Of course then I saw my poor little 8" tom just sitting there on the floor and I thought I would try it above and between the 10" and 14", turns out that it works quite nicely there for accents and fills as well. I could also swap it out in favor of my little 8" snare which could be kinda cool. Then there's my Roland SPD-20, perhaps that could also fit into that spot, it's all trial and error. I'm sure it will evolve more over time.

felix

That is a super cool set up man.  Beautiful

Sorta old school ludwig "modular" set up meets the space age.

Getting a middle pedal would be my next step, although they have just as many cons as pro's.  They sure look cool though.

are you a righty or a southpaw?

chefdoug

Quote from: felix on July 01, 2004, 07:41 AM
That is a super cool set up man.  Beautiful

Sorta old school ludwig "modular" set up meets the space age.

Getting a middle pedal would be my next step, although they have just as many cons as pro's.  They sure look cool though.

are you a righty or a southpaw?

I am righty, but it does seem that a righty or a lefty could play this same set, just gotta move the ride to the other side I would think.
Yeah, one of those middle pedals would probably work nicely in this set up, If I ever buy one, I'll just tell my wife it was all your fault.
I look at it this way, it's sorta like having a regular 4 piece going right and a fusion size 4 piece going to the left(with the addition of the funkily placed 8" tom)