Topic: Cymbals  (Read 3302 times)

alyth

Cymbals
« on: August 04, 2002, 08:31 AM »
Hi everyone, I am a new member from the UK.
I'm pissed off coz I have cracks in two of my cymbals - one is a 16" Sabian Pro crash, and the other is a 16" Paiste crash.  I can't afford replacements, and drilling holes doesn't seem to work.  Aside from playing lighter does anyone have any suggestions which might improve my situation?
Also, does anyone else use jamblocks with their kit?

Check out my website at http://listen.to/andylyth

Offline Mark Schlipper

• Cafe VIP
  • drum + hand
    • chock full o' creamy goodness
Re:Cymbals
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2002, 09:28 AM »
there are all sorts of reasons cymbals can break.  

are they screwed down to tight? cymbals need room to wobble after getting hit.  set a pencil on the edge of your desk, half on, half off.  now hit the side hanging off.  the pencil went flying but it didnt break.  now set it up again and hold down the end on the desk firmly.  hit the other end again, did it break? ... same with cymbals.  aquarian cymbal springs seem to be good for people who like thier cymbals screwed down snug.

are they thin? are you using baseball bats? the right tool for the job makes a big difference.  using a 7A stick on a zildjian earth ride wont really move it, using a 2B on a paiste trad thin ride will tear it up.  find the right sticks and cymbals for what you do.

how are you hitting these cymbals? are they flat and your nailing them straight on? major cymbal stress!  and theres nothing wrong with playing hard.  just be sure that your playing right.  and with the right tools.

simply investigate your materials, and your technique and do the math.

i use those sleeves with the built in bottoms, then felt, then cymbal, then felt, then wingnut.  the wing nut screws down tight against the top of the sleeve so it doesnt go anywhere, but with thinner felts, the cymbal can still swing freely.  i use 7A's, and thin cymbals.  a light swing of the wrist and they sing.  (that kinda stuff works for the music i do)  they are at moderate angles so i can take a glancing stroke at the top, or edge by turning my wrist down a bit.  i dont break cymbals or sticks.
Making bad art.  Saying stupid things.  Implimenting my master plan to be forgotten when I'm gone and forgettable while I'm here.

The Luna Moth
me
Perish the Island

DirtBomb

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2002, 10:47 AM »
I had a cymbal that cracked once back when i began drumming, I tried drilling holes, I even tried welding the cracks cuz i was so desperate.  NOTHING seems to work with them if you are going to play hard with it.  You're better off with a  new cymbal

alyth

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2002, 11:52 AM »
Thanx for the advice 563, I'll make some investigations.  Guess I'll have to save up for some new cymbals though - looks like a broken cymbal can't be mended  :'(

BAnimalG

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2002, 12:23 PM »
I'll have to agree with 563 on the cymbal issue.  However, you asked if anyone used jam blocks on their kit.  Yes, I certainly do.  I use one by LP that is blue and high-pitched.  I use it instead of cross-sticking a rim click.   :)

Offline Mark Schlipper

• Cafe VIP
  • drum + hand
    • chock full o' creamy goodness
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2002, 01:27 PM »
oh yeah, forgot the jam block question ... nope. i dont use a lot of stacatto sounds on my kit, and when i do i usually hit my rims or the sides of my drums (or my stands, or the floor, or another stick, etc etc). but i have been known to use a wood block on occasion.  and i do like the sound of wood better than plastic.

and yep, no saving a broken cymbal.  you can hamper further breakage, but its still broke and will only get worse.
Making bad art.  Saying stupid things.  Implimenting my master plan to be forgotten when I'm gone and forgettable while I'm here.

The Luna Moth
me
Perish the Island

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram