Topic: restoring old drums...someone help me!  (Read 3184 times)

toddnuss

restoring old drums...someone help me!
« on: August 02, 2002, 08:50 PM »
I'm a 17 year old guitarist/singer/ mandelinist/ harmonica-ist/ and soon to be-drummist from Kansas, we just fired our drummer and I'm restoring my dad's old kit so I can come up with beats by myself and communicate better with future drummers- plus have a nice set to have over at my place to for the band's convenience.  It's a 5 pc. pearl set that must be at least 30 years old.  I cleaned it up, and it is BEAUTIFUL-honestly, no scratches dents or anything.  I bought Evans drum-heads and it sounds alot  better than it did.  (*note- trying to make the set as close to professional as possible)
   But now I have a problem... I don't know what to do next.  I don't know what cymbols, parts, etc. to buy.  I have fixed a small buzzing resonence in the snare, but beyond that I really have no clue on how things should sound.
-How do I fix the ring in a 16 inch floor tom?(a lasting high pitched ring)
-Do I tune toms with a tuner?
-Can I have just top heads- no bottoms and keep good sound?
-What Cymbol combination is standard for rock/grunge?

any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks- Todd

MVanDoren1

Re:restoring old drums...someone help me!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2002, 07:51 AM »
As for cymbal combination, you've got your three major players as for brands to choose from- Sabian, Zildian, Paiste.  If you are looking for professional quality then in general stay away from the bronze alloys like the ZBT orZXT's and the same for the other brands Sabian B8 (I'm not a fan of Paiste and don't know what they offer these days).  You probably want a basic setup in your home- don't need 10 or 15 cymbals hanging around.  Get to a music shop and listen to what they have to offer,  you'll probably want to hear Zildian A,Z or K (customs?) types or Sabian AAX, HHX.  Costs will vary but you'll find something you like in them.  Sizes can vary but:
13-14 in. hihats
16in. crash
18 in crash
20-22 in. ride  
16-20 in. china
maybe a larger splash 12in.
Any drummer you get in your band (if he were me) would gladly trade all the teardown/setup time with his own equipment if practices were able to be done on stationary high quality practice set.  But choose the cymbaks that have the sound you are wanting because its no big deal for your future drummer to cart along his/her throne, a snare and a cymbal case.
As for specifically which cymbals to get you are going to get a lot of opinions which should tell you there is a lot of good stuff to choose from.  As well don't just listen to the three big names- a lot of older (like your pearl set) cymbals out there that could compliment your antique set rather well.  Zildian in particular.  Older Zildian ping rides were great (I don't much care for the current ping rides- I like the AAX and especially the HHX dry rides from Sabian- very similar sound).

Can't help you much on the ring problem with the 16' floor tom, I'll watch this thread to see if other suggestions come your way- I assume you are refering to the reinforcement ring.  Again- no solution but it does lead into another question you had.  Those rings are in place to keep the shell in round while it is being stressed by the drum head.  I had an old set of slingerlands that had the lugs "caving in" on the shells.  My parents bought them this way not knowing and I was like 14 at the time so neither did I.  I would advise NOT playing with a single head (though you can get good sounds without them bottom "resonant" head).  The shells may need the counter tension of the bottom head to keeo the drum in shape.

I just noticed you are 17, assuming you aren't independently wealthy the HHX series might be a bit pricey- the AAX or Studio Sabians are  great and don't have quite the cost- same goes for the Zildian A's lower cost in comparison to the Z's then the K's in general

Machined hammered cymbals will be cheaper than Hand Hammered (Hence "HH" of "HHX, etc.)

Sorry to throw so much your direction-

groovsmyth

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2002, 10:49 PM »
Your dad's set sounds in great shape.
I am playing on a 30+ yr. old Rogers kit that I've been using for about the same amount of time. I'm vintage right along with my kit.  ;D  You'll find quite a few on the forum for whom working-vintage and collectible-vintage are one-in-the-same.
My point is... you've got a free set of drums that is legitimate no matter how old. :) It just struck me funny that you sounded surprised.

- plus have a nice set to have over at my place to for the band's convenience
I agree with VanDoren, any drummer coming into a rehearsal setup is going to be happy with what you already have. It already beats the heck out of schlepping his own kit. I guess your dad got rid of his cymbals because you didn't list any as part of what you have. For the type of music your band is playing, you probably would want some heavier cymbals. I'd just accumulate a simple set of used Sabians or Zildjians. . . a pair of medium/heavy 14" hi-hats, a rock crash in the 16-18" size range, and 20-22" ride. That's basic. Like VanDoren said, cymbals are so portable and dictated by individual taste, that a drummer would probably bring his own.

-How do I fix the ring in a 16 inch floor tom?(a lasting high pitched ring)
Easiest way is to buy a set of Zero-rings... thin plastic circles that you flop on top the drumheads to deaden the ring. (usually come in sets, but negotiate with your dealer)

-Do I tune toms with a tuner?
Check out Bart's tuning suggestions. If you are asking about the expensive "tension watches" ...not necessary... your ear will do fine. Bart's articles have the suggested intervals.

-Can I have just top heads- no bottoms and keep good sound?
No bottom heads will give you a thumpy 70's classic rock sound. Probably not what your ear is accustomed to from recent recordings.

MVanDoren1

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2002, 07:30 AM »
 :-[  Whew!  I gotta start paying more attention to the posts.  I just now realized the 16" floor tom ring you were mentioning (and plain as day I might add) was in reference to the sound, not the construction of the tom itself with the reinforcement hoops- egad- sorry.  My point is still valid about keeping the drum with tension on both ends- just now my point isn't necessary. oops?!#

You gonna replace any of the heads with new ones? then take that old floor tom head and cut out a ring approx 1" thick- that will suffice for getting rid of the ring but will deaden the sound a bit too.  If you were to use the set out of the house ever, you'd want someone during sound check to listen to the drum with and without that  ring to see what sounds best.

toddnuss

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2002, 08:12 AM »
thanks everyone for helpin out, i really appreciate it.  But as i read other posts I realize I left out some important information.   Here is what the set consists of.

TOMS-
12x8
13x9
14x6(snare)
15x14
22x18

CYMBALS-
none

Things I've added already-
-Evans g2 coated heads
-Axis AXA single bass pedal

Carn

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2002, 08:36 AM »
As for cymbal combination, you've got your three major players as for brands to choose from- Sabian, Zildian, Paiste.  If you are looking for professional quality then in general stay away from the bronze alloys like the ZBT orZXT's and the same for the other brands Sabian B8 (I'm not a fan of Paiste and don't know what they offer these days).  

paiste has the 302/402/502 series

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram