• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

You know your playing is getting louder by

Started by BlackEvovii, August 07, 2002, 07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackEvovii

This is a random rant, that i felt i should share with a drum community.

And here we go.  You know your playing is getting louder, because after having the best session of your life, realizing what youve been doing wrong and having that feel of control, speed and balance come out of nowhere.  When you are done playing, you walk upstairs, or out of your room and your parents say, thank god the playing is over.  You ask, what do you mean? that was the best session i had, while they reply, it doesn't sound bad, its just the thumping going through your head after a long day...never got that response from them before.  Prior, i had been working on my foot, so maybe thats a sign that things are getting stronger ;).

Jazzman

It never bothered my parents......they always left the house for me to play.  If they did go out, I was on the set playing.

I was very expensive for my dad.  He was the one taking my mom to the store to get out of the house! ::)

When I got on the drums......They ended up having a lot more friends to visit.  So you might say I gave them more oportunities to meet new people.

I think it is a phase for the family to get used to your playing all of the time.  I always played in the basement.  Come to think about it ........I still do! ;D

Jazzman 8)

muchojackdaniels

I haven't seen a single drummer who hasn't been told to stop playing because it's too loud.

Dave Heim

Quote from: muchojackdaniels on February 22, 2008, 04:41 PM
I haven't seen a single drummer who hasn't been told to stop playing because it's too loud.

Then I guess I'm your first.  Nice to meet you.

Chris McCullough

I have to say that whether I am practicing or just slapping my knees; no matter how I am getting that new groove in my head, or whatever I am doing... I try to be a bit mindful of others.  I my many years of playing, I have slaved over the task of 'how do I practice and still not bother people?'.  Usually I time my kit playing to correspond with an empty house or whatever.  This has become a habit since I was very young.  Other times I have learned that the HQ pads have a tendency to be much quiter than some others and will allow me to get some technique time in while not bothering anyone.  On a lighter note, I also married a woman who doesn't mind my practicing and actually encourages it!  How's that for having my cake and eating it too!!??

kmaley

Quote from: JoyfulNoise on February 22, 2008, 05:24 PM
  On a lighter note, I also married a woman who doesn't mind my practicing and actually encourages it!  How's that for having my cake and eating it too!!??

Hey so did I!  We're very lucky!

Louis Russell

OK, I give up! What is with digging up all the super old threads?

George

Quote from: kmaley on February 22, 2008, 07:47 PM
Hey so did I!  We're very lucky!

Well, I've never met a woman who would mind my playing the drums loud all day and night. (If I thought she would, I didn't meet her.)

Paicey

I remember not wanting to bother my mom with my playing although she bought my first kit. Is this corny or what, i would actually think about how drums could make a prettier noise. I would many times being quiet do cymbal things and soft tympani like rolls with mallets but when she went to work as a nurse all he!! broke loose.

Neaty

Quote from: Dave From Chicago on February 22, 2008, 05:13 PM
Then I guess I'm your first.  Nice to meet you.

Me 2, my mom wanted to watch soaps but couldnt hear due to me playing drums upstairs.

JeffK

Did a show at the Neatherland Hilton here in Cincinnati last weekend. This was a private party for Paycor and I have played this room before, seats around 5/600 people for a sit down dinner, huge stage, high ceilings and carpet everywhere.

Drums were set up and ready for sound check. I play about 8 bars of my best "Fool in the rain" attempt and within seconds the Coordinator for the Hilton runs into the room and yells at me that it is too loud and it's disrupting the wedding downstairs. I directed her towards the sound man and told her that HE would fix the problem.

We ended up playing with the sound system off for the first set and only enough for the vocals, everything else was stage volume. The people who hired us for the event were not happy about the situation, but there was nothing we could do. They wanted to rock, but we had to stay low key until the wedding was over downstairs.

Trust me people, we are not that loud, but I can recall that I just wanted to pack up and leave three songs into the first set because it was just stupid to keep seeing the Hilton lady show up at the side of the stage and wave her arm's at me. I don't have anything to do with the control of the volume that is being sent out over the PA and my personal feelings are that if my drums are that GD loud without a PA in a room that size, then I need to get in the guiness book for loudest drummers. We are not a Jazz/ lounge act, no offense!

I realize that everyone has their own threshold on what is loud, but if the people want loud rock and roll for their Hard Rock Cafe themed party, then that's what they should get for their money.

Truth be told, with the nightmare load in that this downtown facility is, I would be fine with never playing there again in my career.
That's my volume story, Haha.